salt deficient

Rooster Tails......

20 posts in this topic

Anyone got a favorite color or weight?   I do well with white ones in both 1/4 and 1/6th oz on stocked trout.

Smallmouth seem to love the rainbow trout colored one.

Anyone got a procedure to rejuvenate an older one.  Seems the shaft bends a bit or the blade isn't flat and they just don't work like new.

anyone got a brand they prefer over rooster tail.  always did well as a kid with a brass vibrox on bass.

I've had quite a bit of success tossing the cheapie spinners from wally world, the 5 pack.  LMB seem to love em and the occasional Rainbow hit em also.  And you do get what you pay for as the finish does not last a full season on em and by the end you mostly have unpainted lead.  Mepps have done well by me also. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't fish with them as much now as I used to, but RT has always been a good brand. I've also liked Blue Fox and Panther Martin for panfish or trout size. For bigger sizes, for Pickerel or bass, Mepps has been as good as any. I liked the Aglia versions and they had one I think they called a "Mino" which had a rubber baitfish on the hook. I caught a lot of different fish with them. 

I make some of my own too, and will fix the store bought. Not difficult to remake them. I don't get fancy with the finish, and if they're painted, with air brush scales, or other such detail I don't go that far. I use better hooks than what comes on the store bought, and if I refurbish them, switch out to a better hook, and sometimes a single instead of a treble. Of course I dress the hooks.  

As far as colors, white, black and chartreuse or combinations, and nickel or gold. I've bought the various brands and various colors, and have caught fish on them all, but the basic colors have worked as well as any.

IMO, the flash and the vibration is the primary attraction and fancy paint schemes are mostly for the angler. 

Edited by Jim H

Hedden spinners was the best then mepp's but mepp's bend to easy,,,,,,,:banghd: rooster's are great I like white or red and white but a little bigger for cast distances,,,,you cant get pork rinds,,,:box:so I use a small mister twister tails,,,sometimes you get the big one,,,,,,,:)

The white Rooster Tail is one of the most effective trout lures ever made. I think I've caught more fish on that lure than anything else including bait. I use the 1/8 size and cast upstream and across. I think they work especially well early in the season. The local Walmart here stopped carrying the white ones, but instead they have the Gray Minnow Rooster tail in 1/8 which is a very light gray and looks close to white. It works about as well as the white one I think.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:16 AM, salt deficient said:

Anyone got a favorite color or weight?   I do well with white ones in both 1/4 and 1/6th oz on stocked trout.

Smallmouth seem to love the rainbow trout colored one.

Anyone got a procedure to rejuvenate an older one.  Seems the shaft bends a bit or the blade isn't flat and they just don't work like new.

anyone got a brand they prefer over rooster tail.  always did well as a kid with a brass vibrox on bass.

ive had success getting extra vibration by slightly bending the spoon part of the spinner up towards the line at the end, like a really long capital L but not as extreme

I use 1/8 and 1/6 yellow and am very successful with trout all year . I wait until cabelas has their sale and get them for $1.64 and buy alot of them . It has always been my go to lure and most successful . From the my smallest stockie to my largest an 8lb rainbow . I do not have the same success with roosters on the farmington river . Fish are very smart in that river .

I was always a panther Martin, mepps or blue fox fan. There was something about the rooster tails that just didn’t do it for me. That being said, I’ve caught my fair share on them. Bright colors always worked best. White yellow green and the multitude of variations of each. 

I find mepps can require some speed to get turning, especially the 00 sizes.  Not exactly a criticism but an observation, sometimes the speed is good.  Joeflies are excellent if you need a slow speed, with the much wider blade that'll spin at lower speeds if you have gear light enough to cast them.

Never caught a dam thing on anything but panther martin. silver. dressed or undressed hook. weights depending on depth where I fished. Usually always fast river fishing.

I've owned Mepps, Rooster Tail, Blue Fox Vibrax, etc. Never caught anything on them.

I have tried them all, color is not that important, but being able to get the blade to spin at a slow speed is very often the key to out fishing everything else and RoosterTails do that the best. Past few years they have been a real killer for lake trout in both the Chu and Quabbin...

I have also caught a number of walleye on them.

Edited by Stripernut1
More info.