planter

Used boat trailers?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a used trailer for a 1400lb 18ft boat and was just curious if there was anyone in eastern mass who sells them? When I wasn't looking I saw them in just about every back yard I drove by. Just need a shove in the right direction. TY 

I’ve found craigslist or Facebook marketplace to be the best bet. The problem is that trailers usually die long before the boat, so they tend to go quick when they become available at a fair price.

The best trailer I’ve had came with a “free” boat. Took some work to get rid of the boat, but did it legitimately after a while.

Troutworm I've tried 3A and pretty much every boat yard within 50 miles with no luck. I did find one down on the cape but it had rollers and I've been told that Whalers want to be on bunks which was a shame. My word JTR you aren't kidding about there being a poor supply of used trailers. The odd part is that until I started looking I saw them in half the yards I drove by. I really don't want to buy a new one. I can't find one within my budget and they see to be on the.pricey side. IDK what I'll do but now that I have a town mooring for 18ft and under I guess I'll stick with 18ft for a bit. The next size up mooring has a waiting list as long as my leg. Oh yes.. By the way Roht marine called yesterday to say they had slips and floats still available but I declined. Thanks for the pointers guys 

If I remember correctly from my first boat which was an 18’ outrage, the whalers require keel support which is provided by several rollers with bunks acting more as stabilizers.

Troutworm I've tried 3A and pretty much every boat yard within 50 miles with no luck. I did find one down on the cape but it had rollers and I've been told that Whalers want to be on bunks which was a shame. My word JTR you aren't kidding about there being a poor supply of used trailers. The odd part is that until I started looking I saw them in half the yards I drove by. I really don't want to buy a new one. I can't find one within my budget and they see to be on the.pricey side. IDK what I'll do but now that I have a town mooring for 18ft and under I guess I'll stick with 18ft for a bit. The next size up mooring has a waiting list as long as my leg. Oh yes.. By the way Roht marine called yesterday to say they had slips and floats still available but I declined. Thanks for the pointers guys 

Last Question I promise. I'm getting mixed advice and opinions on whether I have to have bunks or if I can use rollers. The Dauntless is not a flat bottomed boat like so many Whalers and has a lot of V to it.

Whatcha think. I would really like to get this boat onto a trailer and to the shop while it's still winter. I want to avoid the spring rush.

Thanks guys.

Are you really saving money buying a used trailer?  If someone is selling a used trailer then it is probably worn out and they bought a new one. Unless you get lucky and their boat sank or they decided to permanently keep it a marina. The amount of time and money put into fixing up an old one doesn’t seem worth it. 

I got a great used trailer from a guy who works at a marina I use out in western MA.  He has a side hustle buying, rehabbing, and flipping used trailers.  If you decide to widen your search area, I can share his contact info.

Z-man I'm trying to go used because I "think"  I'm going to upgrade next year and I dont know if I'm going to keep my 18ft and smaller mooring or go to a slip. The town mooring is small but cheap but the marinas are a down right luxury. Sometimes I get so indecisive. Bdsandman I'll give those guys a call in the AM if that doesn't work I'll happily hit the Berkshires with pow's guidance. That's good info. Thanks.

You’ve got plenty of time before the season. I’d just be vigilant about checking Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Maybe post a “WTB” thread in the BST forum here too.

JTR. I want to have some work done on the boat b4 everyone gets in line and the trailer it's on has a bent frame. Some fool hit an immovable object with it. I should have been more careful. I have to drag it to the fix it guys and then take the new trailer over so they can set it up and get going on it. Thanks