Capefox

3 - 6 ft shark rig

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2020 at 6:05 PM, Capefox said:

I'll be targeting 3-6 ft sharks from the beach (with a slim chance of an 8 ft). My rig plan -- 18" 150 lb cable, 6/0 circle hook, 20 ft 100 lb mono leader, 150 yards 30 lb mono main line, and 300 yards 40 lb braid backing. What kinds of knots do you suggest. I couldn't find a good video on how to work out tying a 100 lb mono (0.90 mm) shock/leader to a 30 lb mono (0.47 mm) main line. 

What kind of rod and reel are you using?

I would use hollow code braid over the main line elimiminating all knots and attach the cable to the end of the hollow core.a hint of a  thin film of gorilla glue over the core and it's not going to slip eliminating knots going thru the eyelits.there is a video showing the landing of a good size shark with hollow core it didn't slip

On 2/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, MikedNJ said:

Great stuff here thanks. Been looking to try this lately. Catching the shark is the easy part. It’s dealing with them that makes me think twice still. 

A lot of it depends on the fight. If they come in tired you still have to be on guard but you are ok. if they come in and have a lot of fight left, just remember they are very flexible.  That’s why it’s best to do this with one or two other people. The shark is a lot less fiesty on its back, but it may not just roll over for you.
Also, this is why I shark fish with hooks that I have dremelled the barbs off of. You want easy out, and that cartilage will really hold a barb. 

Minimal effort into my beach shark rigs. 20lb mono to barrel swivel to 4' of 80lb nylon coated wire to 9/0 hook. Heat and twist wire to barrel and hook. Done.