Capefox

3 - 6 ft shark rig

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

58 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

Great stuff here thanks. Been looking to try this lately. Catching the shark is the easy part. It’s dealing with them that makes me think twice still. 

Pull them up on the beach and to take the hook out just sit on top of them with your knees on their two front fins.  Take you hand and grab their nose to open their mouth and remove the hook.  Once you do it once your fears will be gone.

2 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Pull them up on the beach and to take the hook out just sit on top of them with your knees on their two front fins.  Take you hand and grab their nose to open their mouth and remove the hook.  Once you do it once your fears will be gone.

I’m good! Haha

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Capefox said:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have an Akios 757 on a Penn Battalion 12ft rated for 25-50 lb line and 6-12 oz payload. I also have a Spinfisher 8500 LL loaded with 500 yards of 40 lb braid, and am saving up for a Carnage 2 rod 12 ft XH.

That reel can hold 650yds of 65lb braid easy.

I would skip the 30lb mono main line. Spool up with straight 65lb braid top to bottom. You can use 20ft to 30ft of 100lb mono if you want to cover shock and abrasion. Attach the mono to the mainline with an FG knot.

I don't use wire leaders, 12in to 18in heavy mono for bite leaders only, 400lb to 600lb test. Bite throughs are not an issue and I have found I get more bites as well.

6/0 is a bit small, tiny hooks are a pain to get out vs larger hooks. I like the Catch All Tackle 16/0 circle hooks, they a excellent quality and priced well. Make sure to get barbless or crush/grind off the barbs.

The most important and most difficult part of shark fishing is not catching the sharks, it is the release. The way you rig should be geared towards a quick fight and an even quicker release.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

6 hours ago, Capefox said:

What knot are you using from the mainline to the 100 lb mono? I presume you can't cast metal crimps through the guides without damaging the rings. 

Use an FG knot.

Also, if you feel like running 400lb test for an abrasion leader, wampire's method of rigging is right on. If I chose to kayak a bait out, his way is about how I rig except subsitute the wire bite leader for 600lb mono and I usually have longer sections of 100lb and 400lb mono abrasion leaders.

But, I have tied 65lb braid direct to 400lb mono using an FG knot and cast it through the guides many a time when I wanted additional abrasion resistance while still keeping my rigs as simple as possible. 

Go on utube and look up shark rigs and then go to landshark site “shark rigs for the beach”. His rigging style worked very well for me in Florida during Xmas. These two we ate and seven others were released. 

F7141BFC-B150-44FE-85BA-60EC7540702D.jpeg

F4F27547-6305-4FC8-A3A0-1848DB3E473F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Clbay1971 said:

Go on utube and look up shark rigs and then go to landshark site “shark rigs for the beach”. His rigging style worked very well for me in Florida during Xmas. These two we ate and seven others were released. 

F7141BFC-B150-44FE-85BA-60EC7540702D.jpeg

F4F27547-6305-4FC8-A3A0-1848DB3E473F.jpeg

How does shark taste?

1 min ago, yemista said:

How does shark taste?

It’s weird no fishy taste at all and has the texture of a chicken breast. It’s really good I preferred to grill with olive oil,salt and pepper. Deep fried just make sure your breading is well seasoned. We harvest one just to try it and now it’s going to be on list for eating for sure. One note if you keep a large one soak overnight in milk. Sharks urinate thru there skin.  

1 min ago, Clbay1971 said:

It’s weird no fishy taste at all and has the texture of a chicken breast. It’s really good I preferred to grill with olive oil,salt and pepper. Deep fried just make sure your breading is well seasoned. We harvest one just to try it and now it’s going to be on list for eating for sure. One note if you keep a large one soak overnight in milk. Sharks urinate thru there skin.  

Does this apply to all sharks? Even dogfish? That's the only shark i ever catch

1 min ago, yemista said:

Does this apply to all sharks? Even dogfish? That's the only shark i ever catch

All that I know of. I was catching Black tip,Black noise and bonnet head witch are very good eating I’m not sure if dogfish is a eater?

Dogfish is very edible.  It's commonly used in "Fish and Chips."

Blackened (dog)fish sandwiches will become more popular soon, imo.  

27 mins ago, TLap21 said:

Dogfish is very edible.  It's commonly used in "Fish and Chips."

Blackened (dog)fish sandwiches will become more popular soon, imo.  

No restrictions on them either right? I may keep a small one next time i catch them. 

I've run into a slight issue with my Akios 757 and attaching the 100 lb shock leader to the 30 lb main line. The knot (I've tried surgeons, double-uni, and Alberto) rubs between the reel frame bars and the spool. (I have about 350 yards of MagnaThin 30 lb mono on the spool.) Would it be OK to tie in a 2 ft section of 80 lb braid between the mono mainline and the shock leader so that the knot is small profile? (I would be casting 8 'n bait with this.)

You don’t need a shock leader for the size of shark you are going after. Just make sure the combined length of your mono rub leader and wire is as long as the largest shark you might catch. You are over thinking this way too much. The main objective of the mono leader is to provide a little abrasion resistance when you hook up. It is not intended to be used as a shock leader. There is no shock on a 48” shark. Lol

I used to run 65lb braid with an FG knot to 6’ of 130lb mono  attached to a crimped 24” multi strand wire and 10/0 circle hook. I recently went to 80lb braid because of all the rough tail stingrays we have encountered. Makes the fight a little more even  We even tangled with a ray for over 3 1/3 hrs last summer that was estimated to be over 5’ across and had no problem with the knots or crimps until the leader was grabbed by hand and the ray decided it had enough of us !!!!  Largest shark I got from the beach last year was 7’ and around the 200lb mark. Plenty of mono rub leader for it and the knot held tight without a concern

64D01296-3523-4379-BDDF-511E508C2EB2.jpeg