Capefox

3 - 6 ft shark rig

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I'll be targeting 3-6 ft sharks from the beach (with a slim chance of an 8 ft). My rig plan -- 18" 150 lb cable, 6/0 circle hook, 20 ft 100 lb mono leader, 150 yards 30 lb mono main line, and 300 yards 40 lb braid backing. What kinds of knots do you suggest. I couldn't find a good video on how to work out tying a 100 lb mono (0.90 mm) shock/leader to a 30 lb mono (0.47 mm) main line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all you need is 12' of 100 lb mono with 16" steel single strand wire leader (100lb) with a 14/0 circle hook and Sinker slide. I use a uni to uni knot and an 18000 size reel with 65 or 80lb braid and a 12' rod.  This is the rig and setup i have been using for a few years with no issue and have caught sharks over 10'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

all you need is 12' of 100 lb mono with 16" steel single strand wire leader (100lb) with a 14/0 circle hook and Sinker slide. I use a uni to uni knot and an 18000 size reel with 65 or 80lb braid and a 12' rod.  This is the rig and setup i have been using for a few years with no issue and have caught sharks over 10'.

With only 12' of 100 lb mono, how do I have enough for casting shock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a bimini twist to form a loop with the 30lb, then attach the 100lb with an Albright knot.  Though, I agree with odienike, my shark setup is also a spinning that uses a short trace of single strand to 12' of 100lb mono, I was always able to grab some mono with my index finger while casting on a 12' rod.  It might be different if you are using conventional tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 mins ago, Capefox said:

With only 12' of 100 lb mono, how do I have enough for casting shock?

I guess its not really for shock as much as anti abrasion leader.  I do not really have to cast far out for sharks where i fish, usually about 30-50 yards. I have the mono leader end just before my spool so probably closer to a 15' leader. You could always increase the mono to go on to your reel to add shock protection for casting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Capefox said:

I'll be targeting 3-6 ft sharks from the beach (with a slim chance of an 8 ft). My rig plan -- 18" 150 lb cable, 6/0 circle hook, 20 ft 100 lb mono leader, 150 yards 30 lb mono main line, and 300 yards 40 lb braid backing. What kinds of knots do you suggest. I couldn't find a good video on how to work out tying a 100 lb mono (0.90 mm) shock/leader to a 30 lb mono (0.47 mm) main line. 

There are lots of different sharks, the long skinny variety at 6’ maybe a 6/0, but in that range I would suggest a 10/0. For a 3 foot shark, a 6/0 should work.
Are you doing this with a group of experienced people or going solo? Even a typical three footer can present challenges, and its best, I think to understand these fish before making a judgment call and going after bigger sharks.

Where I fish, a 6’ is not impossible, but not too common within casting distance from the beach, because the water is shallow even at 100 yards out, the moon and tides need to really align to bring in a big high tide. Mostly, a kayak would be needed to get out past the second bar and drop the bait. That requires having a couple hundred yards of line to put you in front of the fish, now you are into Penn Senator 6/0 or 9/0 territory.

Most sharks for me, from the beach, figuring a good 75 yard cast, are less than 4 foot, most around 3. These can be had with normal surf gear. 
Things are different at beaches up and down the coast, an hour and a half drive south of where I normally surf fish would take me to Amelia with deeper clearer water off the beach and 6’ sharks, usually black tips,  can commonly be seen in the surf within 50 yards.

What reel are you using?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fishhappy said:

 

What reel are you using?

 

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have an Akios 757 on a Penn Battalion 12ft rated for 25-50 lb line and 6-12 oz payload. I also have a Spinfisher 8500 LL loaded with 500 yards of 40 lb braid, and am saving up for a Carnage 2 rod 12 ft XH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Capefox said:

I'll be targeting 3-6 ft sharks from the beach (with a slim chance of an 8 ft). My rig plan -- 18" 150 lb cable, 6/0 circle hook, 20 ft 100 lb mono leader, 150 yards 30 lb mono main line, and 300 yards 40 lb braid backing. What kinds of knots do you suggest. I couldn't find a good video on how to work out tying a 100 lb mono (0.90 mm) shock/leader to a 30 lb mono (0.47 mm) main line. 

Your set up is overkill.  I've dominated 6-7' sharks with 20lb mainline and a 50lb shock leader. 

 

8/0-12/0 hook.  Get yourself some 400lb mono and use that as your bite leader to the hook.  You will need 2.2mm - 2.3mm crimp sleeves for that.  I only run a small section of 400lb mono so my bait doesn't start helicoptering during the cast.  Then I run a section of 80lb - 100lb mono from the 400lb mono.  That section will protect against break offs from the line rubbing against their bodies.  I put a coast lock swivel and a bead on the 80-100lb section so I can add my weight.  Then attach that to a 50lb shock leader.  I am using barrel swivels and crimps to connect everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, animalbarrie said:

Your set up is overkill.  I've dominated 6-7' sharks with 20lb mainline and a 50lb shock leader. 

 

8/0-12/0 hook.  Get yourself some 400lb mono and use that as your bite leader to the hook.  You will need 2.2mm - 2.3mm crimp sleeves for that.  I only run a small section of 400lb mono so my bait doesn't start helicoptering during the cast.  Then I run a section of 80lb - 100lb mono from the 400lb mono.  That section will protect against break offs from the line rubbing against their bodies.  I put a coast lock swivel and a bead on the 80-100lb section so I can add my weight.  Then attach that to a 50lb shock leader.  I am using barrel swivels and crimps to connect everything. 

What knot are you using from the mainline to the 100 lb mono? I presume you can't cast metal crimps through the guides without damaging the rings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Capefox said:

What knot are you using from the mainline to the 100 lb mono? I presume you can't cast metal crimps through the guides without damaging the rings. 

The 100lb would have a barrel swivel at the end.  It would attached to your shock leader, not mainline.  That section of 100lb doesn't have to be crazy long.  3-4 feet will do it. 

 

This entire rig should never be going through your guides.  I'll post a picture of what mine look like.

Edited by animalbarrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capefox said:

What knot are you using from the mainline to the 100 lb mono? I presume you can't cast metal crimps through the guides without damaging the rings. 

It’s essentially a drum rig with 400lb mono for a bite leader.   I don’t have to worry about my weight sliding up past my shock knot.  If I break off I just throw another one on and I’m back in the game.  You could also add wire leader for the bottom section.  But it’s so much easier to just crimp and go.  

99631300-E641-47CD-B124-AE48D7C0F9A6.jpeg

A3D7AD4A-2171-413D-8C93-271DE9E9DCA9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

It’s essentially a drum rig with 400lb mono for a bite leader.   I don’t have to worry about my weight sliding up past my shock knot.  If I break off I just throw another one on and I’m back in the game.  You could also add wire leader for the bottom section.  But it’s so much easier to just crimp and go.  

99631300-E641-47CD-B124-AE48D7C0F9A6.jpeg

A3D7AD4A-2171-413D-8C93-271DE9E9DCA9.jpeg

Great stuff here thanks. Been looking to try this lately. Catching the shark is the easy part. It’s dealing with them that makes me think twice still. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For casting:

 

braid to 8 foot 100 lb mono via FG

mono tied or crimp to swivel

crimp 4 feet of 300-400 lb test mono

attach sinker slide fish finder to mono

crimp to swivel

haywire 24” of #14 single strand to swivel

haywire to 12/0 circle

 

this gives you best of both worlds... the 100 # mono and FG will cast through the guides but give better abrasion resistance than braid

 

the 300-400 mono closer up does not ever come through the guides and gives extra insurance to shark skin and tail whips

 

more connections and effort but better all around hybrid results 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now