CWitek

Conservation equivalency under fire at ASMFC Striped Bass Management Board meeting

Rate this topic

369 posts in this topic

Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that the individual states were planning to utilize CE to frame their proposals?  Since the CE was shot down, now the individual states are just winging it?

When I saw that the CE proposals were shot down I thought it was good news...might be even worse.  Please feel free to correct me.

Just now, FoliFish said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that the individual states were planning to utilize CE to frame their proposals?  Since the CE was shot down, now the individual states are just winging it?

When I saw that the CE proposals were shot down I thought it was good news...might be even worse.  Please feel free to correct me.

No, the motion that was shot down was to approve the CE proposals as a whole.  Now, each state’s CE is being considered separately.  

There was a chance that we were going to go 28-35” coastwide, but that got blown up as people started quibbling over minor exceptions.

1 min ago, CWitek said:

No, the motion that was shot down was to approve the CE proposals as a whole.  Now, each state’s CE is being considered separately.  

There was a chance that we were going to go 28-35” coastwide, but that got blown up as people started quibbling over minor exceptions.

people....?

Do I need to guess which 'people'?

1 min ago, CWitek said:

Ahhh...thank you!  Makes sense now.

So the NJ proposal of the ridiculous 24-28” slot+bonus fish is still on the table as their CE Proposal, correct?  

3 mins ago, Drew C. said:

people....?

HA!!   I think we ALL know who "people" is.....:point:

28 mins ago, Drew C. said:

people....?

To some extent, although there were a couple of others, too.

27 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Ahhh...thank you!  Makes sense now.

So the NJ proposal of the ridiculous 24-28” slot+bonus fish is still on the table as their CE Proposal, correct?  

That’s gone.  Right now, it looks like they’re going to force New Jersey into a 28-35” slot—plus a “bonus fish, of course.

25 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Maybe put it in a graph and they won't be able to understand it?

He’s being represented by his proxy today.

11 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I’ve been tuned in all afternoon and am disappointed as well, even as I type it just seems as silly as ever. 

Believe it or not, this is actually going pretty well—so far, better than I expected.

2 mins ago, CWitek said:

That’s gone.  Right now, it looks like they’re going to force New Jersey into a 28-35” slot—plus a “bonus fish, of course.

That would be nice to see. 

They have to get rid of that bonus tag. Question a NJ guy about it and the first thing out of their mouth is "but we don't have a commercial fishery".

Yeah, you do. It's called the bonus tag...

5 mins ago, CWitek said:

And that is what just happened.