CWitek

Conservation equivalency under fire at ASMFC Striped Bass Management Board meeting

Rate this topic

369 posts in this topic

Don’t know how it will ultimately turn out, but conservation equivalency is finally getting a serious look at the ASMFC striped bass board meeting.

Some commissioners are calling for states to be held accountable if conservation equivalency measures fail to achieve needed reductions.  Obviously, others oppose that.  Some are arguing that the data isn’t good enough for accountability to be applied; others are arguing that if the data is good enough for conservation equivalency, then the states which adopt CE shouldn’t complain of the same data is used to accountable.

The Management Board Chairman has invited a motion to reject all conservation equivalency proposals after the lunch break, if anyone wants to make such a motion.  He has also encouraged the accountability discussion.

There’s still a good chance that nothing will happen, but there is also at least some chance that we might see real change this afternoon.

I remain pessimistic, but allow for some slight hope.

4 mins ago, CWitek said:

Don’t know how it will ultimately turn out, but conservation equivalency is finally getting a serious look at the ASMFC striped bass board meeting.

Some commissioners are calling for states to be held accountable if conservation equivalency measures fail to achieve needed reductions.  Obviously, others oppose that.  Some are arguing that the data isn’t good enough for accountability to be applied; others are arguing that if the data is good enough for conservation equivalency, then the states which adopt CE shouldn’t complain of the same data is used to accountable.

The Management Board Chairman has invited a motion to reject all conservation equivalency proposals after the lunch break, if anyone wants to make such a motion.  He has also encouraged the accountability discussion.

There’s still a good chance that nothing will happen, but there is also at least some chance that we might see real change this afternoon.

I remain pessimistic, but allow for some slight hope.

This is easy and standard practice in other industries 

Proposal: Any option of CE that cannot be reasonably quantified by the TC, based on their professional opinion alone, MUST be dismissed.

you can’t propose stuff with no way to assess impact 

Over the weekend I had emailed all the ASMFC folks up and down the east coast asking for pay backs to be made for those that fail to meet the agreed upon reductions.  I also let them know I am against the CE.  I'm hoping they start holding states accountable.

Will common sense prevail? Probably not. But at least some attention is being brought to it. Hopefully Jersey and Maryland commissioners are feeling a bit nauseous. 

There’s little hope here - this is the asmfc we are talking about. 

at best they are inept and incompetent. At worst add in corrupt to go along with their incompetence. They have done absolutely nothing right in 40 years. 

Motion to accept all conservation equivalency proposals fails 12-4.

Looks like individual state proposals will each be considered.

working  all day in the ER-  can't follow along.  (thanks for the updates-  I'm very curious as to how the CE proposals will be received)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been listening up to now. Have a feeling they will delay state by state CE votes until later in the week so states can present a SINGLE CE proposal.  MD's is a complex Chinese Restaurant's  Family Dinner menu of Columns A-D. 

Edited by Roccus7

3 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Been listening up to now. Have a feeling they will delay state by state CE votes until later in the week so states can present a SINGLE CE proposal.  MD's is a complex Chinese Restaurant's  Family Dinner menu of Columns A-D. 

Dazzle them with lies, confuse them with bull****.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would love to see the RB have a delayed season like NY suggested, but the chances of NJ rolling with that I feel are nil to none.

Edited by kurazy kracka

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

Motion to accept all conservation equivalency proposals fails 12-4.

Looks like individual state proposals will each be considered.

Sorry a bit confused, did you mean motion to reject?

Just now, C.Robin said:

Sorry a bit confused, did you mean motion to reject?

No.  There was a motion to accept all CE proposals that was decisively shot down.

Then they chased each other’s tails for an hour or two.

Now, they are taking on each state’s individual proposals.