HillTop

UV Resin Find / Alternative

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Tymers112 said:

Assuming I were to take the 2nd route and purchase the Solarez thick, how many surf candy do you think I can get out of the 2 oz?

Tymers,

Really no clue.   I haven't done enough of these yet to get a feel for it yet.    Probably make more candies than you can go through in a season :)

HT

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

Tymers,

Really no clue.   I haven't done enough of these yet to get a feel for it yet.    Probably make more candies than you can go through in a season :)

HT

HT, Well noted w/tks. :shaky:

Keep you posted.

Bumping this back up.

Yesterday my son was fixing some damage to a surfboard and did not have any west systems epoxy.

I told him to use this uv stuff that I bought when this thread started. He reminded me though of a surfboard repair product that he used a a kid called Sun Cure. It is the same clear uv resin that we use for flush I'm certain.  The surfers just do it on the beach and let the sun take care of it.

I looked on Amazon and it is 8oz for 10 bucks they add 5 bucks for shipping. 

If it dries hard and not tacky with the torch this might be another option. 

I'll try it out and post back here when it arrives. 

SmartSelect_20200403-163105_Amazon Shopping.jpg

On 4/3/2020 at 4:43 PM, Kml said:

Bumping this back up.

Yesterday my son was fixing some damage to a surfboard and did not have any west systems epoxy.

I told him to use this uv stuff that I bought when this thread started. He reminded me though of a surfboard repair product that he used a a kid called Sun Cure. It is the same clear uv resin that we use for flush I'm certain.  The surfers just do it on the beach and let the sun take care of it.

I looked on Amazon and it is 8oz for 10 bucks they add 5 bucks for shipping. 

If it dries hard and not tacky with the torch this might be another option. 

I'll try it out and post back here when it arrives. 

SmartSelect_20200403-163105_Amazon Shopping.jpg

This was a miserable fail. 

The odor is much stronger and it is anything but ultra clear. It has kind of a blueish ting and was tacky after a good shot with the light. 

I left a test drop out in the sun and I want to see what that does. 

Not a total waste as my son is a surfer and has a need for ding repairs from time to time. 

I find the stuff that HT started this thread with to be way better. 

Send it back and get the package with light, battery and charger. Finding the specialized batteries and appropriate charger is difficult and increases the cost. I made the mistake of assuming the light could be powered by run of the mill AAs or AAAs and Hilltops original post did reference the full package with light, battery and charger although he didn’t discuss the importance of getting the package because the batteries the light uses are unique.

2 hours ago, Kml said:

The batteries in these lights are very common in the vape shops.

Thanks I would have never thought of that. I was starting to scramble to find this battery. Like flyrad said these cannot be had at Lowes.

50 mins ago, slacktide said:

Thanks I would have never thought of that. I was starting to scramble to find this battery. Like flyrad said these cannot be had at Lowes.

I was able to get them at CVS once as well. 

this light? Mine did not come with batteries.

Slacktide,

Agreed if the one you selected stated battery and charger I'd complain and/or send it back for a refund.     However if you want to purchase one independently then I don't think the Vape battery is the right battery unless those Vape devices are larger than a good size stogie :)  

I have two of these lights, identical but listed with different names/manufacturers but suspect made by the same Chinese company.   Both have the same battery and you should be looking for an 18650 Lithium Ion battery (rechargeable).    A quick Google search for this number turns up plenty of places to purchase.  

per:

UV1.png.01b90922cafab3d2521c2184456ad988.png

UV2.png.59d8950d3db4c51a8305fbb200761496.png

UV3.png.4c268939de8ec28b120523c80bb49491.png\

UV4.png.38af588842429ad287e651eb41f6a91f.png

HT

The 18650 is the most common vape battery. 

You can also use 2 123A batteries but they won’t last as long as a rechargable 18650.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A quick follow up to this older post on UV alternatives and lights.   I mentioned I bought a new light from Amazon and that it came with a battery & charger which I've been using with my jewelry resin alternative.   Still works fine but wanted to advise that not all lights are even close in quality even though they are possibly made by the same factory in China. 

Case in point, the almost identical light in every feature, purchased at the FF Show in NJ from one of the professional tiers there along with some Solarz product doesn't work nearly as well as the unit I purchased on Amazon. Couldn't understand as the lights were identical other than one was labeled "Dulex" and the other labeled ""On The Way".     

Photos of each:

light1.png.4ae897e470bae52b83dc64f9166bad1f.pngPhotos light2.png.8272019ad1cb2e6e7785042cf623196b.png

So I use both lights and was curious as to why some of my Candies came out tacky and the others hard as glass.     At first didn't think anything of it since I used both lights depending on which I could grab off the desk first.

In reviewing further I looked directly at the LED chip and noticed a considerable difference.

light3.png.25d5b6a52a468842f868fea3f93e96e9.png

I then decided to shine both on the desktop at once to compare the beam and low and behold the intensity of the Dulex light was significantly different and much more intense.    The light that gave me hard as glass cures.

light4.png.af47085ed56b48d3d9ee89bd03f99ad0.png

I originally decided to buy the Dulex from Amazon to have as a backup and to bring along on trips so seeing this difference I went an ordered an additional Dulex from Amazon (less battery) and it arrived last week.   Put the battery in from the "On the Way" light and compared the intensity to the original Dulex.  Same intensity.

So, as they say, buyer beware,   not all things look as they seem.   Going to toss the "on the way" light now that I have a good backup with the new Dulex.

HT

Edited by HillTop

On 6/13/2020 at 9:58 AM, HillTop said:

A quick follow up to this older post on UV alternatives and lights.   I mentioned I bought a new light from Amazon and that it came with a battery & charger which I've been using with my jewelry resin alternative.   Still works fine but wanted to advise that not all lights are even close in quality even though they are possibly made by the same factory in China. 

Case in point, the almost identical light in every feature, purchased at the FF Show in NJ from one of the professional tiers there along with some Solarz product doesn't work nearly as well as the unit I purchased on Amazon. Couldn't understand as the lights were identical other than one was labeled "Dulex" and the other labeled ""On The Way".     

Photos of each:

light1.png.4ae897e470bae52b83dc64f9166bad1f.pngPhotos light2.png.8272019ad1cb2e6e7785042cf623196b.png

So I use both lights and was curious as to why some of my Candies came out tacky and the others hard as glass.     At first didn't think anything of it since I used both lights depending on which I could grab off the desk first.

In reviewing further I looked directly at the LED chip and noticed a considerable difference.

light3.png.25d5b6a52a468842f868fea3f93e96e9.png

I then decided to shine both on the desktop at once to compare the beam and low and behold the intensity of the Dulex light was significantly different and much more intense.    The light that gave me hard as glass cures.

light4.png.af47085ed56b48d3d9ee89bd03f99ad0.png

I originally decided to buy the Dulex from Amazon to have as a backup and to bring along on trips so seeing this difference I went an ordered an additional Dulex from Amazon (less battery) and it arrived last week.   Put the battery in from the "On the Way" light and compared the intensity to the original Dulex.  Same intensity.

So, as they say, buyer beware,   not all things look as they seem.   Going to toss the "on the way" light now that I have a good backup with the new Dulex.

HT

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like maybe the LED in the light on the right could be seated too deep in the reflector housing.  If you can take any of it apart, you might see if you can get the LED to ride a bit higher into the housing.

7 mins ago, Saltyp said:

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like maybe the LED in the light on the right could be seated too deep in the reflector housing.  If you can take any of it apart, you might see if you can get the LED to ride a bit higher into the housing.     

Salty,

Actually the one on the right, deeper set, is the light that had the best intensity so I wouldn't want to mess with that one.   The other light is already in the trash and not worth the time.   I really think the LED itself is a different item and not related to how it's seated.

HT

3 mins ago, HillTop said:

Salty,

Actually the one on the right, deeper set, is the light that had the best intensity so I wouldn't want to mess with that one.   The other light is already in the trash and not worth the time.   I really think the LED itself is a different item and not related to how it's seated.

HT

As I was typing that out I thought "he is going to tell me it's the one on the left".