HanoverStriper

Bass out for Vineyard derby

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, jason colby said:

I've been telling The Ma DMF that the striper population is being hurt since I started seeing the signs in 2006 or 2007. That coupled with the draggers off Virginia and North Carolina dumping thousands of large, dead bass overboard every day added up quickly. Meanwhile Mike Armstrong, the DMF Assistant Director was telling me for year when he was cranking up the commercial quotas in Ma. that "I don't know what I'm talking about". "It's just my imagination". OR (my favorite) "If there is a problem, it's only in the area I am fishing"...(same thing they are saying about the winter flounder!).

Or this one:

"Lots of bigger bass offshore. You just aren't seeing them."

2 mins ago, bdowning said:

Or this one:

"Lots of bigger bass offshore. You just aren't seeing them."

Ya know I've been hearing about the "offshore population" for over 40 years! They have always been out there but only since the EEZ restrictions came into play did the fishermen really wake up to it. A few busts in the news and people who have been "quietly" catching out there legally all their lives now are criminals. Striped bass do a lot of travelling throughout a season/year and they cross many state jurisdictions in their travels/migration. Therefore, it is my belief that they should be managed by one set of Federal laws for the entire population ("The Salt and Brackish Waters of The Eastern United States"). Violations can then be processed under the Lacey Act. Then all violators (Canal poachers, charter boats, draggers, gill netters and recreational villains) can all go to federal prison together.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its a highly migratory species and the regulations should uniformly treat it like one. 

Edited by bdowning

32 mins ago, bdowning said:

Its a highly migratory species and the regulations should uniformly treat it like one. 

ha.....Good luck with that........

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

ha.....Good luck with that........

Agree, will never happen...just in my dreams. :p