HanoverStriper

Bass out for Vineyard derby

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Great decision and it sends a message. Unfortunately the ones who most need to understand that message will not be able to bring themselves to release fish over the slot imo. Not just at the Canal either. I just hope the epos really step up both rec and comm enforcement this year. It will be needed. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, DZ said:

So the big question is; “What will the OTW Striper Cup do?”

Didn't they go to C and R in 2019???  Or maybe it was just a new category??

Interesting.  I just went to the OTW SC site and it states "Check back soon for the 2020 Striper Cup Rules".  Maybe they're waiting on final regulations and/or to see what other tournaments are doing.

Edited by FoliFish

1 hour ago, DZ said:

So the big question is; “What will the OTW Striper Cup do?”

Couple ideas. 

Reduce the prizes, like make top prize a nice rod and reel. Not a brand new boat so that it draws prize hunters rather than sportsmen. 

Make it fully C & R. Frankly. If all the regs change to a slot can’t keep a cow anyway. Use a picture with a tape/ruler. OTW can issue standard tapes when you enter the contest. 

Expand the the categories like junior division up to 12, young adult 13-21, adult 22-64, senior >65; men/women category; boat vs shore. Etc etc. lotsa ways to break it up and expand the pool of people who will win. 

Donate 10% of entry fee to state conservation enforcement agencies, in proportion to the home states of registrants. 

Just a couple of thoughts. 

1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

Didn't they go to C and R in 2019???  Or maybe it was just a new category??

Interesting.  I just went to the OTW SC site and it states "Check back soon for the 2020 Striper Cup Rules".  Maybe they're waiting on final regulations and/or to see what other tournaments are doing.

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

Regarding OTW SC, isn't it going to be kinda tough to have a big fish kill tournament with a 1 fish slot limit on bass?

In 2019 it was already changed to not require anyone to weigh a fish.   Any submission could be made via a picture and you had the option to include or not include measurements.    Prizes were mostly given what seemed randomly, I think it was mostly a photo contest in the end.

The cup/team competition, which the vast majority of participants I believe take very little part in, will likely be changed.   Without actual weigh ins, I can't see how it can remain. 

9 hours ago, bdowning said:

Great decision and it sends a message. Unfortunately the ones who most need to understand that message will not be able to bring themselves to release fish over the slot imo. Not just at the Canal either. I just hope the epos really step up both rec and comm enforcement this year. It will be needed. 

No problem, People will buy a commercial license and keep two over slot 3 days a week. 

10 hours ago, bdowning said:

People need to speak up!   If I see anyone keeping big fish I’m gunna call them out! And I will be ready to throw hands!!!! Knock a mofo out! 

23 mins ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

People need to speak up!   If I see anyone keeping big fish I’m gunna call them out! And I will be ready to throw hands!!!! Knock a mofo out! 

Get ready for jail if you do that.

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

I've been speaking up for 25 years. All I've done is waste my breath and wear out my arteries. 

Poaching on the canal will be rampant this year. Guys cant bring to themselves to release 30" fish, how can you expect them to release one over 45"?

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

I've been speaking up for 25 years. All I've done is waste my breath and wear out my arteries. 

Poaching on the canal will be rampant this year. Guys cant bring to themselves to release 30" fish, how can you expect them to release one over 45"?

I don’t fish the canal but I know that the pocher red neck googans are outnumber by the real deal anglers that will speak up!   If I see anything going down on the outer cape Where I live and fish then it will be ugly! Say bey bey to all your gear!