captahab416

Questionable integrity of thru wire

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just recently bought a pikie that has a fair amount of play in the thru wire at the hook hanger in the rear as well the front tie on as well. The hook hangers on the belly are solid though. Would you guys say there is a cause for concern or that's just normal wear and tear for a plug. Truthfully none of my other wood has had this issue so I'm not sure. Thanks guys. 

Edited by captahab416

First, Fixter Pikies Rock.

A loose thru wire is simply a testament to the power of the fish that have been caught with that plug previously. Fish it.

Also, replacing a thru wire is not all that hard, the hard part is finding the stupid piece of wire. But if you know anyone who builds plugs, they would have some wire around.

27 mins ago, captahab416 said:

Being able to fish it with confidence was my only concern, thanks. 

why wouldn't you contact Mike... solid guy stands behind his product. Why not give him a fair chance... I would never bring something like this here unless i went to the builder first. Just my opinion.

@mybosox3 Not what I was saying at all. Bought the plug used. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever accuse mike fixter of putting out an inferior product. I was never inferring that the issue was something that wa s the builders fault. Simply trying to figure out if I bought a plug that may have been damaged and not disclosed prior to purchase. Like I said have never had this issue with a metal lip before so wanted to check with the ones that have the most experience. If the plug is solid to fish I'm a happy man. 

Likely the thing has been hauling in quite a few fish. Over time the wraps can loosen, or even the front loop can be pulled in a bit more than originally designed from being torqued/pulled from other end etc...

As long as the tail wraps are still in place, and the nose loop doesn't appear oblong or stretched out in some way I'd say it is good to go. If you are worried about it, I'm sure you can get a piece of through wire relatively easy. Re-wire, and give yourself the confidence boost that you know it is tight again.

5 hours ago, SC said:

Thru wires stretch. Easy fix is to wrap thread in void and super glue

What Stevie said. Also, as others wrote above, probably was tight wire when it left the maker, but subsequent wear and tear from snags and fish will exert pressure on the tail end, bending the tail wire and pulling the front eye deeper into the lip slot, thereby squeezing the front eye wrap tighter or closer together than original. So, it means it probably was a productive plug (not all plugs are) - and I would start at the front loop - pull that forward out of the lip slot as much as possible and use an ice pick or thin screwdriver to ream the two sides of the front eye wire open again, also trying to widen and round out the very line tie loop section to a "reasonable" wider width. Once the front eye is reamed and widened - I would use size D rod wrapping thread to fill the void on the tail end - wrap in between the body grommet if any and the end wrap of the wire till it's solidly filled - and super glue. With that being said, as with any injury I've ever gotten in life, my doctor once told me, "It's never going to be as good as it was before, but it will be better than it is now [meaning busted]." That applies to any through-wired plug I've done the above procedure to as well...rarely as good as one was before the damage, and will often suffer repeat damage in the same way in the same place by strong fish even after such a repair. Often I'd anticipate having to retire and admire such a plug after that, and move on to break in a new plug to take its place. Hope it helps.

Edited by Bassdozer

If its a Fixter Pikie, I can almost guarantee it caught a lot of fish!  Like anything on wood it has wear and tear.   Id fish the hell out of it as is, but if you are not happy send to me, I am good friends with Mike and I’ll have him rewire it for you.  I love my old battle scared plugs, often my best producers 

55 mins ago, captahab416 said:

@norcalkat  @Bassdozer really appreciate the input gentleman. I'm going to fish the hell out of it for now

As someone who has a million and six Fixters I can tell you that I have a few that have loose wires. So do a lot of my other builders' plugs, especially after they catch a fish or two. It's even more prevalent if there is a tail hook so I usually eliminate that hook. Was this lure used or new?

Edited by DaveC

Used. Buyer described as light use turns out he bought is from someone else so chances are good this thing has seen plenty of fish. And I don't fish pikies with a tail hook, less trebles the better.