Richard_the_Aughth

'Chu 2020

Rate this topic

296 posts in this topic

Just now, bdowning said:

For fishing? Yes. For advice? No. 

I was mostly joking. I really wanted to be the person to start this year's Chu thread. I've been waiting many years, usually beat to it by golden

1 hour ago, yemista said:

I was mostly joking. I really wanted to be the person to start this year's Chu thread. I've been waiting many years, usually beat to it by golden

What I meant to say is, for fishing No, for advice Yes. ;)

I for one do have some questions on Spring SMB fishing. I started targeting them towards the end of the season last year, and I did not catch any. My question is, in the spring, when the water is super cold, what kind of waters do you want to target them in? Last year I was trying skinny water that fit SMB territory description, sand turning to rocks and vice versa. I also tried deeper holes surrounding such areas. No luck.

Where would be a good place to catch them in the spring? More shallow water? Or deeper holes?

Also, can you see them in the water when the water is crystal clear? Or is their camo just so good that you wouldnt notice them, even if right in front of you?

7 mins ago, yemista said:

My question is, in the spring, when the water is super cold, what kind of waters do you want to target them in?u?

In the spring, you can usually find smallies on the same structures as lakers - drop offs to deeper water.

Lakers & smallies like cruising the shallows in April & May, pre-spawn for smallies. However, they drop back to deeper water as the water warms during the day. For smallies they drop back to about 20', 30' in the spring. I'll catch smallies in 5'- 20' of water near drop offs that go down to 30', 40' of water or more.

You can catch smallies on all three sides, rt 140, rt 70, and rt 110.  When the water levels are low enough, I know some guys who target smallies by running & gunning long stretches of shoreline.

18 mins ago, zak-striper said:

In the spring, you can usually find smallies on the same structures as lakers - drop offs to deeper water.

Lakers & smallies like cruising the shallows in April & May, pre-spawn for smallies. However, they drop back to deeper water as the water warms during the day. For smallies they drop back to about 20', 30' in the spring. I'll catch smallies in 5'- 20' of water near drop offs that go down to 30', 40' of water or more.

You can catch smallies on all three sides, rt 140, rt 70, and rt 110.  When the water levels are low enough, I know some guys who target smallies by running & gunning long stretches of shoreline.

This is my big difficulty in understanding fishing. I have been using online maps to measure how far you need to cast to hit depths of 20'-30' of water, and its about 50'-100' of casting distance for the areas I sampled. This is a piece of cake with a salt water setup, but for freshwater setups, how the heck are people casting tubes weighing anywhere from 1/8oz to 3/16oz that far? Or even jerk baits weighing 1/2oz? 

From what I understand, you want to throw tubes with a really light weight so they fall longer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

28 mins ago, yemista said:

This is my big difficulty in understanding fishing. I have been using online maps to measure how far you need to cast to hit depths of 20'-30' of water, and its about 50'-100' of casting distance for the areas I sampled. This is a piece of cake with a salt water setup, but for freshwater setups, how the heck are people casting tubes weighing anywhere from 1/8oz to 3/16oz that far? Or even jerk baits weighing 1/2oz? 

From what I understand, you want to throw tubes with a really light weight so they fall longer.

For what it's worth, I caught my biggest 'Chu smallie, a 5lber, on a 1 oz gold kastmaster. I've also caught a few bigger smallies, 3 1/2lbs - 5lbs, on shiner setups while fishing for lakers.

During closing week last season I caught a smallie, just under 4lbs, on a slip bobber set up that I was actually using for salmon. I had the slip bobber set up so my shiner was 5' down. I was drifting over a ledge that gradually dropped off to 50'.  I think the bobber was over 20' of water when the bass hit it.  That same week I caught a 4-5lb smallie with a 5/8oz firetiger Kroc.

I know a guy who caught a 6lb 9oz smallie at the 'Chu on a 3/4 oz kastmaster.

I'll use a jig & pig set up, a skirted jig, with a curly tail grub, that weighs at least a 1/2 oz. I can cast that out far enough for spring smallies. I've also used a drop shot set up, with a 1oz tungsten weight. I can cast that more than far enough. I use  Fin-s fish or curly tailed worms on the drop shot. I've also used carolina rigged crayfish plastics with a 1/2 oz slip sinker. I usually toss those on a 7' ugly stik with a spinning reel.

Jerk baits like an LC pointer in yellow perch, rainbow trout or bluegill patterns work well. I've also used LiveTarget yellow perch lures which cast really well. 

I even caught a rainbow once that had a texas rigged plastic worm in its stomach.

In April & May, the smallies are often in pretty close. You don't need a herculean cast to reach them.

Edited by zak-striper

5 mins ago, zak-striper said:

For what it's worth, I caught my biggest 'Chu smallie, a 5lber, on a 1 oz gold kastmaster. I've also caught a few bigger smallies, 3 1/2lbs - 5lbs, on shiner setups while fishing for lakers.

During closing week last season I caught a smallie, just under 4lbs, on a slip bobber set up that I was actually using for salmon. I had the slip bobber set up so my shiner was 5' down. I was drifting over a ledge that gradually dropped off to 50'.  I think the bobber was over 20' of water when the bass hit it.  That same week I caught a 4-5lb smallie with a 5/8oz firetiger Kroc.

I know a guy who caught a 6lb 9oz smallie at the 'Chu on a 3/4 oz kastmaster.

I'll use a jig & pig set up, a skirted jig, with a curly tail grub, that weighs at least a 1/2 oz. I can cast that out far enough for spring smallies. I've also used a drop shot set up, with a 1oz tungsten weight. I can cast that more than far enough. I use  Fin-s fish or curly tailed worms on the drop shot. I've also used carolina rigged crayfish plastics with a 1/2 oz slip sinker. I usually toss those on a 7' ugly stik with a spinning reel.

Jerk baits like an LC pointer in yellow perch, rainbow trout or bluegill patterns work well. I've also used LiveTarget yellow perch lures which cast really well. 

I even caught a rainbow once that had a texas rigged plastic worm in its stomach.

In April & May, the smallies are often in pretty close. You don't need a herculean cast to reach them.

Thanks zak-striper, you are always full of good information! Maybe this year will be my year.

On 2/3/2020 at 0:26 PM, yemista said:

Well played, sir!  If you want to target smallies, I have spot for you in spring.  I'd plan for the last week of April and 1st week of May - could be a bit earlier this year too.