Kids are loosing their connection to nature.

Rate this topic

DoorGunner

DG, Your OP is spot on, but I haven’t given up on them yet.   We run very popular fishing, skiing, and outdoor clubs at SRHS. I am a  co-advisor for the fishing club. 50-60 active kids every year. Some of these kids are just as obsessed as many of us are.   (2nd pic is about 80 of my students on the day they were taking home the plants they started from seed to plant in their gardens).

CDBA91A3-DB22-4472-9034-29A1C33C53A7.jpeg

3889F224-183C-4462-B678-F9726F52DAC5.jpeg

7F93CF1F-D493-497E-ABD9-7A6B113F6102.jpeg

Edited by SG1

Great job there with the kids. Pat on the back to anyone who opens the door to the outdoors for other generations. 

Went to do a little white perch fishing yesterday on a body of water I'd never fished before. Beautiful warm day and had live grass shrimp and fresh clam along with a quart of clam chum and not even anything that I could pretend was a bite. Still felt good to be out in the sun and wetting a few lines. 

I can't be outside and pass a stretch of woods or an overgrown field without checking it out for cocoons. Always seems to be plenty of preying mantis cocoons around but other insects are either better hidden or few and far between. The one I found yesterday is of a large moth about the size of the palm of your hand and I'm positive that the only reason I spotted it was because I have a lifetime of cocoon hunting behind me. 

I scanned the brush line along the creek a few times and at first all I saw were dead leaves that were still hanging from a few of the branches. This kept catching my eye because it was a little larger clump so I took the chance. Muddy ground with tricky footing along the edge of this tidal creek so it was messy sneaks if I went for it. Did and it was worth it. To think that a freaking caterpillar with silk coming out it's arse could weave these leaves together then spin it's own cocoon inside the snug sleeping bag. This will be a good one to show the kids next week.

This is what my brother meant when he said it wasn't just the fishing but more a journey to the edge of the water.

IMG_3105.JPG.c50b2ea8f6f58f725565b1893d35f427.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG.25796e582642dba92d883dfc51bfd668.JPG

In this one you can just make out the rounded top of the cocoon surrounded by the leaves.

IMG_3106.JPG.be1a99327cf3b8303d8252a2da746f17.JPG