Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Vintage table saws?? In particular the 1950's Craftsman 100 series

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

So in the table saw thread I mentioned that I stumbled into a NIB Shop Fox Aluma-Classic W1716 for $100. Very highly rated, goes for $350 +

Of course it takes different bolts then the ones that fit on my ancient Jet JTS10 "Asian" contractor saw.

I have to make the choice between buying a new saw or doing major modifications to the Jet to make the fence work

Leaning towards getting a new saw

If you saw the before and after pictures of my shop in the "what have you been up to" thread you'll notice I have a penchant for vintage American tools of the 1940's and '50's, so a 1950's era saw would go well.

I can pick up a beater Gold Anniversary issue Craftsman 100, but I'm a little leary of the rehab, never did a total take down of a tablesaw before (I hear it can be a royal PIA).

Does anyone own a Craftsman 100 series ? Worth buying and rehabbing - Or just stick with my Jet ??

I like my 10" Craftsman. It was my grandfathers, then my fathers, and now mine. Heavy saw and frame. About 20 years ago I replaced the blade shaft and bearings which I ordered from Sears. Think I have the manual and exploded view. Table top is nice and I put a Craftsman table extension on the left side. Made a lot of stuff with it. I had an issue with the pulley walking off the saw arbor shaft and eventually it pissed me off enough to fix by drilling a dimple in shaft for set screw. The miter fence is great. I made a crosscut sliding fence and box joint jig, both great. I have dado blades and Craftsman moulding head cutters. The rip fence is old and tired. I have to measure on both front and back and use a clamp on the far side if making several cuts without changing the setting. The edge closest to me holds but the far edge pulls away from the blade when I clamp it down. Like only a 1/16" but want zero.

I almost bought one of those lighter, portable contractor models in the $400-$600 range. The more I thought about it and thinking about it now... I'm glad I didn't. This old craftsman will out work and out live me.

What else you want to know?

I'm actually in the planning process of replacing my direct drive Craftsman saw my wife bought for me for Christmas ~ 20 years ago-  it has a crappy fence and a strange slot system that wont' take standard mitre gauges and is a bit anemic.  It's been OK for what I've done but now I'm getting into furniture grade projects so need some more accuracy. So I am also debating new vs a used one that might take some rehab.

In any case, I was wondering with all of the changes Sears has gone through/ is going through, what's the current status and outlook for getting parts for Sears tools?

Anyone have the Delta 36-725?  Runs about 600 with what appears to be a pretty good fence. I like the what seems to be an godo mobile base-  My current shop is tiny 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Very pretty !!

But what an odd fence ! Homemade ?

Also, do you know what the depth of the table is front to back ?

Don't know if it's true or not but I heard that some of the older Craftsmans can have narrow tables which makes it tough to work with sheet goods

Edited by Sudsy

Table depth is 27" from front to back. The rip fence is original, it cranks along sort of like a rack and pinion with the pinion being inside the fence handle. Once in place you push down on the fence handle and it locks tight. Only when mine locks it sort of torques to the right, away from the blade. I use a machinist's square to measure front and back, adjust with a tap or two and lock it down. If I'm doing a number of rips at the same width I clamp a square onto the table against the fence so the fence doesn't walk. Works for me.

My uncle had a big saw with out feed table and it was a pleasure cutting full sheets. I'd cut my pieces into roughs and then bring home and finish off on my Craftsman 100. Did I love his saw and set up? Oh yeah. It took up more room then a 60' Caddy. There was a day when I thought about getting a bigger saw but now I'm past it. My little saw does just enough. If I did any more it would stop being fun.

Just got back from picking up a USA made Delta contractor saw, 34-441, one of the last great contractor style saws made before they all went overseas to Taiwan then China.

With a Delta Unifence, a full size rolling base, and a Freud finishing blade !

It's getting a complete tear down and rehab

But now comes another decision, keep the 20 year old Unisaw fence, or the brand new Shop Fox Alumaclassic  fence

I have no experience with either one so not sure which is the better choice

Delta 34-441 facebook ad 3.jpg

Delta 34-441 facebook ad.jpg

On 2/4/2020 at 5:37 PM, Sudsy said:

Just got back from picking up a USA made Delta contractor saw, 34-441, one of the last great contractor style saws made before they all went overseas to Taiwan then China.

With a Delta Unifence, a full size rolling base, and a Freud finishing blade !

It's getting a complete tear down and rehab

Nice score!  You may be able to find a couple of cast iron wings to match the table.

I need 1. The other side is a Corian router table attachment I made that's coming off the Jet saw I'm selling

But I refuse to pay more for a cast iron wing than I did for the entire saw, fence and base together

8 hours ago, Talltale said:

Nice score!  You may be able to find a couple of cast iron wings to match the table.

Sears did sell the 12'' extensions that bolted on the table bed.

3 hours ago, ccb said:

Sears did sell the 12'' extensions that bolted on the table bed.

I want the solid one

Not going to be easy to find, but I have a fisherman's patience :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Come up to Boston Suds. I see older Delta or Rockwell Unisaws for under $500. Heavy as all getout, but there's never been a better table saw IMHO.

This one is $500 but has a fancy aftermarket fence and a nice outfeed table

unisaw.jpg

Edited by Stewie

40 mins ago, Stewie said:

Come up to Boston Suds. I see older Delta or Rockwell Unisaws for under $500. Heavy as all getout, but there's never been a better table saw IMHO.

This one is $500 but has a fancy aftermarket fence and a nice outfeed table

unisaw.jpg

I just took this one to the scrap yard  Nobody wanted it.

IMG_0509.JPG