PeterJ

Trail Cam Recommendations?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

In searching the Digital Camera Forum this seems to be the recommended place to ask about trail cams.  The last review in this thread were a few years old and was wondering if anybody has some favorite cameras they use?

Looking to keep it under $150, no need to break the bank but don't want junk either.  Googling seems to have results all over the map, so I am hoping to get some info from people who use them and are in the know.

Thanks in advance

--Pete

I've had good luck with Bushnell and Moultrie and absolutely terrible luck with Wildgame Innovations!. Actually there was no luck involved with the Wildgame Innovations they just make a piece of crap product and don't stand behind them at all.

Walmart has some, the one I got was Taco last year $25, this year $30, it takes good pictures, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but if someone steals it you paid 30, instead of $150

I have a Spypoint Link Micro. It sends the pics to my cell phone. Need cell service where you hang the camera. I get 100 pics free a month. There are pay plans where you get more. So far, haven't gotten to 100 a month yet. It's been hanging since the Friday after Thanksgiving and the battery level is still at 100%. I bought Duracell Optimum batteries for it. So far, so good. 

You can find it at your price point, too. 

3 hours ago, burkie said:

Walmart has some, the one I got was Taco last year $25, this year $30, it takes good pictures, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but if someone steals it you paid 30, instead of $150

Why in the world would you need a trail cam?

I’ve had great luck with my bushnells. I leave them in the field till the batteries run out and longevity has not been an issue. Not much coin either. 

I have had most brands, seems they all get wonky after a few years. My bushnell seems to show 2006 on the date no matter how many times I set 2020.

My bud had some good pics with a cheap Walmart cam, those pics from bushnell. 

CDY_0038.JPG

CDY_0036.JPG

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I have had most brands, seems they all get wonky after a few years. My bushnell seems to show 2006 on the date no matter how many times I set 2020.

My bud had some good pics with a cheap Walmart cam, those pics from bushnell. 

CDY_0038.JPG

CDY_0036.JPG

From my cudde back 

12 hours ago, MikeMc said:

I have a Spypoint Link Micro. It sends the pics to my cell phone. Need cell service where you hang the camera. I get 100 pics free a month. There are pay plans where you get more. So far, haven't gotten to 100 a month yet. It's been hanging since the Friday after Thanksgiving and the battery level is still at 100%. I bought Duracell Optimum batteries for it. So far, so good. 

You can find it at your price point, too. 

So you dont have to pay at all for the service? 

I've had the best luck with Browning cams. I'm partial to running it in video mode, and prefer the undetectable black LED's for nighttime pics / videos. The Brownings excel at both. 

Mike's cell version Spypoint is cool. Especially with the 100 free pics per month. No video and visible LED's are kind of dealbreakers for me but if you dont care about that it's a great value.

I ordered a Browning cell version but it was $100 more expensive and the cheapest data plan is $13 a month. Will probably only pay that for 3 or 4 months every fall. Will play the sd card swap game the rest of the year.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll let you know what I go with and I should say if...

To reply to "Why in the world would you need a trail cam?"  I don't need one... But on our small property, less than an acer in a development build in 1953, we've had black bear, foxes, small bucks and all the other usual critters.

So, we're curious what's roaming around when it's dark and we're sleeping.  Would love to see the bear again.  The only time we saw it was when we were on our porch drinking coffee in the morning.

And...  It's a good use for a gift certificate we have.  So just for some fun.

Thanks again.

--Pete

3 mins ago, PeterJ said:

Thanks for all the replies, I'll let you know what I go with and I should say if...

To reply to "Why in the world would you need a trail cam?"  

I think that comment was directed at burkie.

They're fun and like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Why in the world would you need a trail cam?

Just think about what and where you are not supposed to use them...……………..

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So you dont have to pay at all for the service? 

I do not pay them one red cent. :D 

I could, and probably would, if I went over the 100 pics a month during hunting season. 

$4 a month gets you 250 pics, $7 gets 1000 pics, $10 is unlimited.