Steve_M

Rod building work shop

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Yesterday I just happen to walk into a tackle shop (where the owner is this older grouchy guy). They had a work shop going on and the room was a wealth of knowledge. I had to stay for a while just get some of it. They covered everything from how the rods are built to the finish. They had stations set up for guys to learn and understand with hands-on at the level that they were at. I know I can’t say the names but I can say there were guys from all over the Industry. In my opinion the best of the best. Well worth your time.

We had  a great day yesterday, this was the 5th time THe NERBs had a GRumpy's rod building event, featured speaker was Steve from ODM. I love putting these events together and having so many amazing builders come to them, first to learn, and as they progress to give back an share their knowledge.

83772785_814977608975954_352658570673651712_n.jpg

84329542_1054020071619981_5751000332201099264_n.jpg

would love to get in on one of them some year.  No way I'm heading into occupied territory though.   Any chance of holding one in a free State?  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, tfucini said:

Since when can you not name tackle shops on here?

Must have been at Grumpy’s for the NERBs gathering! 

In the past I got warnings and sol had edited that part out. But you hit it on the mark.

Edited by Steve_M
Miss spelled

That tackle shop has a lot of different things that you don't see on line and the tackle shop across the street has excellent breakfast sandwiches and does the am videos in season

1 hour ago, nightfighter said:

5th one, huh? Congrats on that Billy.

I hope you have someone working on editing a video from the day...… If not, maybe next year?

No videos from NERB events, that doesn't give anyone incentive to show up. This was the 3rd gathering I've done this year, not including the 6 workshops.

51 mins ago, JimP said:

would love to get in on one of them some year.  No way I'm heading into occupied territory though.   Any chance of holding one in a free State?  

I do them all the time in Staten Island NY. I have the following locations scheduled this year: Ashland, Virginia (at Bass Pro Shops), Fort Myers, FL, Wisconsin, Chicago, and Massachusetts. We've also got 4 booth spaces at the rod building trade show in Winston-Salem in 3 weeks.

Dang, used to live in Winston-Salem, would be cool to get back there for this.  Too soon notice for work though.  Thanks Billy!! 

We are planning something in the Fall. I have peopel attend the gatherings at my shp from MAryland, Virginia, New Hampshire, a couple from MAss - at every event, so if you're interested in learning the art your best bet is to be to come to one at my shop. I 1-2 per month during the wrapping season, with anywhere from 25-35 people at each one

12 hours ago, Catch This said:

When is the event scheduled for Ashland VA?

March 21. E-mail me at xlrods@yahoo.com and Ill send the event info. I've got aout 20-25 signed up already, and plan to get a few more at the ICRBE SHow in a couple of weeks