R.R. Bridge Fisher

WHOPPER PLOPPER

36 posts in this topic

I started using one last season for  largemouth, no follows or hookups.

I just watched another video ok a guy kayak fishing with one and catching on it. 

What are the conditions you all are having success with this lure? Time of day,sky,weather,time of year?ect......

2 mins ago, CrappieAttitude said:

I used mine early in the morning and caught several northern pike in shallow water

Likewise. Early and late with a slight chop on the water. I don't get to throw a WP as often as I'd like though because most of my spots are crazy weedy. I've become a fan of the Teckel Sprinker Frog. Best of both worlds, great plopping action and weedless

they work great in the early morning about an hour after sunrise, best results in mid June thru end of July.  calm water seemed to be the best. I did catch a few after 6 pm as well in the summer in shady areas.

I’ve caught largemouth and smallmouth on them, and as most folks have replied, during the mornings. Landed an exceptional largemouth last September around 7lbs on one. It was before 8am on a very clear reservoir. However, I won’t break out any topwater until June, and your best times are definitely morning, but I’m sure you could call up some river smallies in the middle of the day. 

Make sure you incorporate plenty of pauses and "resting time" in the retrieve. Throw it and let it sit until the ripples subside. This gives the fish a chance to hone in and investigate. Work it slow, pop pop pop, pause......repeat. Nothing too crazy, its not a pencil on a breaking tide :howdy:. My hits would almost always come on the pause and hold on to your rod, the bass normally hit it with a vengeance.

I’ve had good luck with them around the prespawn and spawning time frames, when bass are in a guarding, aggressive mood.

I find i do better with a buzzbait or a frog during summer months. I also agree with Cal, that i have better luck with an erratic retrieve, rather than a straight line one with no pauses.

Jitterbugs have always been my go to back up after trying others.. It's a confidence  thing I'm sure, been fishing them for over 20yrs with no issues or problems,

Funny thing about the Plopper for me was one lake it was deadly, and the next lake the fish wouldn’t even look at it. 

Ive had HUGE success on the whopper plopper. I’ve always had the best success by simply bombing a cast and keeping a steady retrieve. Some days they want it fast, some days slow. The places I’ve done well at seem to have a lot of vegetation. I’ve heard it’s the sound, which is funny because only the 90 has been productive for me, and only loon or powder white. Each size has a different pitch in their sound. They just liked the 90 on my lake, I guess. I’ve caught fish well over 8lbs on it, so I thought I could weed out smaller fish with a bigger size, but no luck. In fact, no bites at all on the larger sizes. 

On 2/1/2020 at 6:41 PM, Mack26 said:

I’ve had good luck with them around the prespawn and spawning time frames, when bass are in a guarding, aggressive mood.

I find i do better with a buzzbait or a frog during summer months. I also agree with Cal, that i have better luck with an erratic retrieve, rather than a straight line one with no pauses.

Hoping to pick a couple up from your table Saturday AM.