Roccus7

Hen Clams, just where can you dig 'em????

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

Linesides is the foremost expert, and I will personally attest that thanks to call he made to me many a year ago, he changed the way i fish for the better.

best thing to do is to follow the links above, but if you still aren’t sure, the town if Scarborough has a shellfish hotline.  207 730 4300 option 1.

Yes, we talked and he is definitely the Maine Hen Clam Professor Emeritus.  I learned a ton of hen clam biology as he provided digging tips that I would never had an inkling about!  This new "virtual coastwide prohibition zone" was news to him however.  I'll find out later today and report back.

57 mins ago, Scott Charlton said:

https://www.maine.gov/dmr/shellfish-sanitation-management/closures/documents/10.pdf

Scarborough beach looks closed pretty tight.  Did you have a place in mind?

Also, Kohl.Kanwit@maine.gov has helped me in the past.  She works for the state, you can try to give her an email.

Kohl hasn't returned my calls...

I live on the Midcoast.  My local beach is "red striped" so I started doing research and found that virtually the entire coast from Kittery to Lubec is red striped.  WTF????

I looked at the map you cited last week and mentioned it in my 1st post.  What confused the heck out of me was Biddeford Pool as conditionally open, totally surrounded by prohibited areas.  Yeah, those nasty bugs never enter the pool when the tide is coming in, do they??  It's closure areas like this that make NO sense and strongly suggest there is ZERO science involved...

18 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Kohl hasn't returned my calls...

I live on the Midcoast.  My local beach is "red striped" so I started doing research and found that virtually the entire coast from Kittery to Lubec is red striped.  WTF????

I looked at the map you cited last week and mentioned it in my 1st post.  What confused the heck out of me was Biddeford Pool as conditionally open, totally surrounded by prohibited areas.  Yeah, those nasty bugs never enter the pool when the tide is coming in, do they??  It's closure areas like this that make NO sense and strongly suggest there is ZERO science involved...

Zero science...I feel you are being WAY too generous!  Great post, let us know what you find out.

She just wrote back to me. Popham and Pine Point are open for digging.  Awesome!

Kanwit, Kohl

7:10 AM (2 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Yes, around Pine Point in Scarborough and Popham Beach. I've heard there are some in Northport as well

Sent: Monday, February 3, 2020 6:59:34 PM
To: Kanwit, Kohl <Kohl.Kanwit@maine.gov>
Subject: bacterial closures in the state

EXTERNAL: This email originated from outside of the State of Maine Mail System. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Ms. Kanwit

Currently, is there anywhere in the state that isn't under a pollution or biotoxin restriction for hen clams? 

AIbEiAIAAABECNiyhZn9wL6Q4gEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKig3ZGU5Zjk1MjJmMTU1MjgzMzQ2OTU3MGNkNGY5NmZmOTVjMjE1MTQyMAHPQer_ukeZMY2IQiTXLPkMmf6OWw?sz=40
ReplyForward

Posted (edited) · Report post

I guess I must be on the "Dangerous Character" lists as no response to my email or phone calls yet...

However her response is very troublesome in that 3 areas she mentions are open on the maps for the Bacterial Closure List, which means that all the Notices on the extensive list are in force.  Therefore collecting shellfish is prohibited for at least 90% of Maine's coastline.   

I'm of the opinion that the closures are based more on limited resources which limit the number of areas that can be tested, than on actual poor water quality testing results.

Edited by Roccus7

Having fun now, somebody from Public Health explained to me how they test Biddeford Pool.  I hit back with the fact that there are closed areas on the ME side of the Piscataquas River that are directly across from open NH areas.  Didn't know that water quality observed state lines...

Edited by Roccus7

Person at DMR who's been out sick for a couple of weeks just got back to me.  Simple answer if "If there's overboard discharge of any type nearby instead of a leach field, we not allowed to test so it's closed."  Since most of the coast above Cape Elizabeth is ledge, many waterfront homes have OBD systems, explaining why most of the coast is closed for shellfish.

Damn shame, but if I want hen clams, I have to drive over an hour to get 'em.  May have to make a pre-Red Tide season run after my local hard shell grounds close April 30, although there may be some spots I can access with my boat...

Edited by Roccus7

Thanks for that update.  You made out really well, those pix of the little necks, the oysters, and the quahogs were fantastic.  March 10th is pretty good tide in the evening...Should have enough sunlight by then...

On 2/11/2020 at 7:46 PM, SacoStriperFisha said:

I never get any info when I contact them. I live right in OOB and would love to get some for clam cakes but I never get answers. 

If you have any questions, just PM me.  The best thing to do is simply to call the shellfish hotline.  207 730-4300 option 1.  They should tell you the status of Hen Clamming in the front beaches.  That means Pine Point to Parcher Avenue in OOB.