slip n slide

New wading boots

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I go through a pr about every 18 months,sometimes less'n that if I'm doing a lot of steelhead fishing as the ice slices them up.Synthetics,in particular the fake leathers/vinyls, don't last.

I had one pr of boots last me 5 years w/ resoles but they don't make it any more.

Thinking about dropping some dollars for the Patagonia Danners,anyone have any experience w/ them they'd like to relate? Durability,fit,construction,any and all observations/criticisms welcome.Also,the basic river/salt vs the foot tractor,which looks more heavily constructed...

No experience but I’ve been looking at those. Right now mine are in good shape so I’m curious to see if anyone had them yet. 

I have a pair from them, ultra lights, something like that. I like them a lot but I think they’re a little durable. I’m General I get 12-18 mos out of mine. 

23 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I go through a pr about every 18 months,sometimes less'n that if I'm doing a lot of steelhead fishing as the ice slices them up.Synthetics,in particular the fake leathers/vinyls, don't last.

I had one pr of boots last me 5 years w/ resoles but they don't make it any more.

Thinking about dropping some dollars for the Patagonia Danners,anyone have any experience w/ them they'd like to relate? Durability,fit,construction,any and all observations/criticisms welcome.Also,the basic river/salt vs the foot tractor,which looks more heavily constructed...

they make ruber to last 2 years and it crak all over.that is our engeneering one day after warantie fail.

the solution.

get yourself  waders with good top,if the botom fail cut the boots off and glue Micky Mouse boots on botom.

the Micky mouse were made for life,thet were made 50 years a go and the ruber is good now.

For rough going you could always by a pair of work boots in the height of your liking and a size or two larger and barge cement indoor outdoor carpet with sheet metal screws, after two or three years, do the same for under $100.00

FT

I wear korker boots. Get 2-3 seasons out of them. For less than half the cost of those danner boots, including a pair of studded soles. I can’t imagine the danners lasting 5+ years. And I wear danner work boots every day. 

The newest  korker lace ups will be my next pair this spring. 

I had the original foot tractors- heavier than a dead minister, but very comfy and long lasting.  Had Simms G4 Boas with the alumabite cleats for 2 seasons (used sparingly in salt- have an old paid of G3sfor salt)  Walked the soles off in two seasons, but very comfy and light.  I just bought the Korker Dark Horse BOA in November.  I've only used the a few times, but they are the shizz.  Super light, comfortable, easy on/easy off ( love the boa- no more frozen laces)  I bought the felt , felt with studs, rubber, rubber with bars to cover all wading needs. 

5 hours ago, titleguy said:

I had the original foot tractors- heavier than a dead minister, but very comfy and long lasting.  Had Simms G4 Boas with the alumabite cleats for 2 seasons (used sparingly in salt- have an old paid of G3sfor salt)  Walked the soles off in two seasons, but very comfy and light.  I just bought the Korker Dark Horse BOA in November.  I've only used the a few times, but they are the shizz.  Super light, comfortable, easy on/easy off ( love the boa- no more frozen laces)  I bought the felt , felt with studs, rubber, rubber with bars to cover all wading needs. 

I had a pr of Simms built like the Danners that lasted for 5 yrs w/ resoles,sewn last so resoles are possible,goodyear welt,all features I like...the river/salts look lighter

5 hours ago, titleguy said:

My son got the korkers last year with boa and they are very nice. I borrowed them a few times.

They have the new ones now called hatchback that open from the back and you put your foot in from the back and has the cable system too.

I'll be looking at those for this year too.

38 mins ago, Kml said:

My son got the korkers last year with boa and they are very nice. I borrowed them a few times.

They have the new ones now called hatchback that open from the back and you put your foot in from the back and has the cable system too.

I'll be looking at those for this year too.

Korkers has discontinued the hatchback boot. You may be able to find them on sale somewhere. I bought a 2nd pair last year at about half off. I've been wearing the hatchbacks ever since Korkers introduced them and I love them, however, I only wear them for freshwater -- I'm leery of the BOA system in the salt and sand. They're light, and very comfortable for me, and they have very good ankle support. I only wear the studded vibram rubber soles these days. No more felt for me. I have several sets of Korkers soles and am considering picking up a pair of lace-up Korkers for surf fishing.

8 hours ago, titleguy said:

I’ve got the Dark Horse BOA right now. I’m not a fan of the BOA.  Not enough ankle support. I’ve got snowboard boots that are BOA that have two separate cables. One low and one high. If they could figure that out I be on board. Until then I’m a lace up man. 

2 hours ago, smath said:

Korkers has discontinued the hatchback boot. You may be able to find them on sale somewhere. I bought a 2nd pair last year at about half off. I've been wearing the hatchbacks ever since Korkers introduced them and I love them, however, I only wear them for freshwater -- I'm leery of the BOA system in the salt and sand. They're light, and very comfortable for me, and they have very good ankle support. I only wear the studded vibram rubber soles these days. No more felt for me. I have several sets of Korkers soles and am considering picking up a pair of lace-up Korkers for surf fishing.

That's funny. I never noticed them before I thought it was new and an interesting idea. I still have a pair of Simms boot foots that are my surf waders but I know the end is near so I just started looking this winter. 

I use Simms flyweights now. Anything with metal eyelets corrodes in the salt and they end up cracking off eventually and I always had problems with Boa systems failing in salt and sand. The sand binds them up and strips the gear. I like light boots and light breathable waders. 

I recently picked up a pair of Simms’ new G4 Pro boots and after a few long days on the water covering 4-6 miles each, I must say I am pretty impressed. Very sturdy and have great ankle support without being too stiff. 

I’ve been a Simms G3 boot-wearer for the last 14 years, and while I really liked them, I always ended up having to resole and/or replace every 12-18 months like others have said. The new G4’s have a similar vibram sole which I’d imagine will likewise need to be resoled every once in a while, but the upper boot material seems to be a huge upgrade from the faux leather that will hopefully withstand abraision and break-down a bit better. It’s also about time that Simms installed and-ring for your gravel guard to hook onto; I cannot tell you how many pairs of laces I’ve gone through as a result of the clasp tearing the covering off.

I also really like the new screw-in cleat system. This will make things much easier to take cleats out for those  days you float with a friend or guide who refuses to put down rubber mats in their driftboat. I think this will also reduce the amount of cleat loss as a result of the rubber sole breaking down from replacement. It seems simms also replaced a lot of the components which are usually metal, with some sort of composite material which will hopefully stand up better in the salt environs. 

My wife gave me an allen black river bootfoot hip wader two years ago as a birthday present. Ive been using it ever since and I'm a guy who fishes a lot. I never had any problems with water leaks. So far the best fishing waders Ive tried.