cheech

3 things that transformed your kayak fishing

47 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

In no particular order:

- Trailer

- Boondox Landing Gear 

- Moving to the house with a garage where I can work on car, yak or gear year-round any time, any weather.  

Edited by oceanAddict

1. Definitely pedal kayaks(hands free)

2.Wife that allows me to take my son out with me at anytime on the water.

3.Youtube and the great people I have met on the water/beach-(endless knowledge).

19 hours ago, reelfire said:

Growing a set of balls here in Fla. Courage to go into the ocean and into gator country.

Learning to fly fish. The ultimate stealth approach in less than 1 ft of water.

Common sense to once in a while override the newly found set of balls.

Don't get carried away with that. We had one guy on the lake I lived on that didn't make it passed the first spring with his kayak. The gator that attacked him was very territorial. The same one charged my boat a few times. When they go into heat they become aggressive and start to wonder.  Pay attention along wooded areas along waters. You won't see a bull gator sunning first light and if you wonder in front of, your gonna get a surprise. Same goes for when the eggs start to hatch. Running across a brood of foot long gators sunning on Cyprus knees and weeds. Move along, she's watching. Probably only a few yards away, you'll see only her eyes above water. Never had a female charge but never gave them much reason.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Rick67 said:

Don't get carried away with that. We had one guy on the lake I lived on that didn't make it passed the first spring with his kayak. The gator that attacked him was very territorial. The same one charged my boat a few times. When they go into heat they become aggressive and start to wonder.  Pay attention along wooded areas along waters. You won't see a bull gator sunning first light and if you wonder in front of, your gonna get a surprise. Same goes for when the eggs start to hatch. Running across a brood of foot long gators sunning on Cyprus knees and weeds. Move along, she's watching. Probably only a few yards away, you'll see only her eyes above water. Never had a female charge but never gave them much reason.  Good luck.

Well aware of all that. In spring Ill be fishing mullet run and will be dealing with sharks instead.

Mosquito lagoon is unique as it is salwater with freshwater marshes and ponds behind the dikes. Gators go back and forth. I stay out of small creeks and places i cant see far up. 

-Pedal yak (and cart!)

-FF w/ GPS
-More time on the water. This could be #1 actually. You can have all the latest and greatest gear in the world but time actually spent fishing, learning & improving, imo is the real transformation. 

I guess a lot depends on where you started. Since I started in an old whitewater boat, then a SOT is #1!

FF/GPS

Gathering knowledge online

On 1/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, EricM said:

I wish I had the same experience with side imaging sonar. I got the humminbird helix but have yet to see the value of side imaging... 

We can work on that in a few months :)

51 mins ago, toadfish said:

Jon Shein.....knew his stuff and willing to share

I have to re-do my top 3.  Jon Shein and Joey Cambria and their Kayak Fishing Stuff store and forums. 

1. Organization. This allows me to carry more gear and be ready for more situations. It’s a work in progress....
2. Charts. Whether lake or ocean, chart study and planning prior to a trip, even on familiar water increase my efficiency. 
3. A log. While I don’t necessarily keep a well detailed log like some fishermen do, I do keep a running excel sheet where I jot some notes when I have a exceptional day. Date, location, weather, what worked. If I’m planning to fish this week, I’ll browse for notes from a previous trip in the same location and approximately same time. If anything, it simply helps me determine where I want to fish, and what techniques I might give more attention to.