The Rappin One

To glow or not to glow: that is the question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, The Rappin One said:

What are your thoughts about using lures that glow for striped-bass? I thought this would make an interesting topic.

it depend on the fish mood and color of water

fish,positive,neutral,negative,

dirty water maximum glow and ratel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine built a bunch of plugs that accepted a lunker light in their backs. It was very cool to watch the arc of a cast in the dark. What was even cooler was to watch the light streak around as you fought a bass among the rocks. I don't believe the fish cared one way or the other, but it was worth the trouble.

 

Fishing for Togue through the ice in Maine, glow tubes on a jig (with bait) work a lot better than non glow, fishing very deep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't bother with them but I know guys who like them and catch fish on them. I have used the "glowing" savage sandeel and I noticed no difference in its ability to catch than that of a plain white savage.

I subscribe to the dark baits when it's dark, lighter baits when there's more as ambient light.

If its overcast or a new moon I throw lots of dark black and purple baits. If its lighter say a full moon with a clear sky I'll throw some yellow, white or green baits and plugs. If the waters muddy or churned up chartreuse.

The natural form of a glowing bait it when there is lots of bioluminescent "fire" in the water. Your bait and even line glows as it disturbs the bioluminescent life in the water. During these times I've actually found it harder to connect with fish and this might be why I've naturally resisted throwing glowing baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I don't bother with them but I know guys who like them and catch fish on them. I have used the "glowing" savage sandeel and I noticed no difference in its ability to catch than that of a plain white savage.

I subscribe to the dark baits when it's dark, lighter baits when there's more as ambient light.

If its overcast or a new moon I throw lots of dark black and purple baits. If its lighter say a full moon with a clear sky I'll throw some yellow, white or green baits and plugs. If the waters muddy or churned up chartreuse.

The natural form of a glowing bait it when there is lots of bioluminescent "fire" in the water. Your bait and even line glows as it disturbs the bioluminescent life in the water. During these times I've actually found it harder to connect with fish and this might be why I've naturally resisted throwing glowing baits.

Purkinje effect is always true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, mybosox3 said:

Purkinje effect is always true

Exactly, I believe the fish are keying in on and attacking the outline or silhouette of the bait at night.

Colors that fade out and create this silhouette are what I want to throw.

Edited by Sandbar1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the eye size and bar receptors and cone receptors will determine the colors that are most effective. Skinny daytime-light, dark and deep dark green, blue purple and red is typically the last color visible in dark water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also thrown glow colors like the glow savage and ghostescent stick shadd. I honestly cant say they are any better or worse than non glow, at least in striper fishing. Profile, size, and action are all more important than luminescence imo. Glow can be helpful in tracking lure action underwater, but thats more helpful to fishermen than fish. :shaky:

 

i do think glow makes a proven difference where light is used as an attractant such as squid jigging. But thats pretty specialized. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

We still make glow in the dark slab jigs primarily for BSB, fluke and Tog.  I have caught a few stripers on them but I am not sure if it was the glow, color , action or the presentation...…  ……….  The base color and the glow in the dark pigments are both powder coat...…..

DSC_0013.JPG

Edited by b-ware

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bdowning said:

I have also thrown glow colors like the glow savage and ghostescent stick shadd. I honestly cant say they are any better or worse than non glow, at least in striper fishing. Profile, size, and action are all more important than luminescence imo. Glow can be helpful in tracking lure action underwater, but thats more helpful to fishermen than fish. :shaky:

 

 

What he said.

Bass clearly have no issues with night vision. Given that they can see a black sluggo, bouncing bottom in 50' of water, in a 5kt current at midnight says to me they have amazing night vision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

What he said.

Bass clearly have no issues with night vision. Given that they can see a black sluggo, bouncing bottom in 50' of water, in a 5kt current at midnight says to me they have amazing night vision.

And their hearing ain't bad either...…………….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only heard a really skilled angler recommend anything glowing, and it wasn't for bass.

 

The late Ken Gerhardt, "CaseyGhee" on this site, had a cult following in the late 1960s and 1970s among Fisherman readers. At the time, he was a cod guru, and anytime he recommended a given item, Midland Tackle would sell out of it immediately. (Did any of you guys know him?)  He liked teasers above jigs that he made with a few feathers and fluorescent white tube on the shank of the hook.

 

Late in life, he turned to fly fishing for stripers, but rarely bothered tying a fly. He'd superglue a grub tail on a hook, and fish with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:55 PM, Sandbar1 said:

 

The natural form of a glowing bait it when there is lots of bioluminescent "fire" in the water. Your bait and even line glows as it disturbs the bioluminescent life in the water. During these times I've actually found it harder to connect with fish and this might be why I've naturally resisted throwing glowing baits.

 

Exactly why I haven't really fished glow stuff.

 

There is plenty of bioluminescence especially in deep water.  I was looking through scientific journals at a library and ran into the Journal of Bioluminescence.  I'm sure it's a fascinating publication, but I don't subscribe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a squid pattern?

 

Do squid glow in the dark?

The squid, and many other deep sea creatures, use their bioluminescence to light up the underside of their body with a dim glow — a strategy called counter illumination — to disguise themselves from predators below. ... The one enormous eye of the strawberry squid brightly glows under blue light.

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/glowing-fluorescent-squid-with-one-eye-2015-6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.