Angler #1

Charley Cinto Remembered

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Back in another time when i was actively fishing the Canal I ran into him at one of his favorite spots at Half Way Gate. He would often would be fishing with another friend at the time John Montinarie, who lived close to him in Plymouth at the the time. They often would tie flies together during the winter months . Back in his younger time he managed to catch a record striped bass and once that happened he was in demand for doing guest appearances and talks . Well this fall at the On The Water Show in Falmouth at Charley Soares booth there he is selling some of his old time plugs with his signature on it. A few younger folks attending the show stopped by to say hello to Both Charleys as I did to say hello . Mr. Cinto passed this earth the other day and now sits with King Neptune may his soul rest in eternal peace

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Back in another time when i was actively fishing the Canal I ran into him at one of his favorite spots at Half Way Gate. He would often would be fishing with another friend at the time John Montinarie, who lived close to him in Plymouth at the the time. They often would tie flies together during the winter months . Back in his younger time he managed to catch a record striped bass and once that happened he was in demand for doing guest appearances and talks . Well this fall at the On The Water Show in Falmouth at Charley Soares booth there he is selling some of his old time plugs with his signature on it. A few younger folks attending the show stopped by to say hello to Both Charleys as I did to say hello . Mr. Cinto passed this earth the other day and now sits with King Neptune may his soul rest in eternal peace

I met Charlie when I went to the RISAA show in 2007 or 08 can't remember when I went up to see Habs and Tattoo. What i remember was he was s uper friendly down to earth fisherman that I wish I got to fish with. RIP Charlie! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Janet Messineo once gave me a couple of funny fish lures that Charlie gave her.  She and I both treasured them so much that they've never been in the water.

Here's a picture of one of them. Apologies that the pic is fuzzy.

Charlie was a legend for sure.

Joe

Charlie Cinto Special.JPG

Edited by JoeTucker
fuzzy pic

Sorry for your loss! I met him at shows over the years and have a signed goo goo eyes of his. Great fisherman and all around good guy.

I am shocked! For a man who has given so much of himself to the lifelong passion of striped bass fishing that only a few people post of his passing on a "striper website". 

A legend has left us, RIP Charlie!

54 mins ago, jason colby said:

I am shocked! For a man who has given so much of himself to the lifelong passion of striped bass fishing that only a few people post of his passing on a "striper website". 

A lot of folks don't look back to these 'old generation' folks.The other night I had a long discussion with a friend from Truro[you know] who knew him very well.Just a sign of the times I guess.

2 hours ago, jason colby said:

Jason My friend it is unfortunate that in todays world we find ourselves not always doing the right thing when it comes to paying respects to those who have come before us in the world of fishing that have left a historical mark on the sport we all love. We here recently lost two legends Mr. Pond and Mr. Kusia well known in the world of fishing lore. I recall attending both as they were being laid to rest and remarking the same thoughts on the lack of the fishing world actually taking the time from what ever they were doing to pay the respect to both men of fishing history. In the past I have taken the time to pay my respect in one way by at least letting their families know that they will not be forgotten for the valued contribution in the world of fishing they may have put forward to make our sport what it is . Perhaps it is our age and how through the years we have made contact with these men that gives us this ability to take the time to show and pay respect for what they might have given us when we all began in another time. May Mr. Cinto, not be forgotten and become part of our future lore among the brethren of  King Neptunes Realm, Peace

Request :

Would somebody please go to Google Images for the pic of Charlie holding the record bass on the deck of the running boat. (  top of his nose is bleeding ).

Classic picture. IOne of the best ever.

On 1/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, JoeTucker said:

Janet Messineo once gave me a couple of funny fish lures that Charlie gave her.  She and I both treasured them so much that they've never been in the water.

Here's a picture of one of them. Apologies that the pic is fuzzy.

Charlie was a legend for sure.

Joe

Charlie Cinto Special.JPG

You should fish it in his honor and memory.  Never met the man but I bet he'd like that!

I knew him well. Great man and fisherman with an infectious smile and fantastic sense of humor. Always willing to share.

He will be greatly missed. RIP Charlie!

As a young kid growing up I would look at this picture and see a fishing god, he made be dream of some day being able to fish Cuttyhunk as it was just a place I could only fantasize about when growing up, over the last 30 years I have spent many nights fishing Cuttyhunk, many of those nights I would look to the west out over the Sow & Pigs and think of this picture of Charlie and would say thank you as if  saying my prayers in church, as I type this message it occurs to me that I need to say thank you Charlie because I'm dreaming of once again getting back to Cutyhunk. RIP Charlie.