Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SSLBI311

Costa Rica - Crocodile Bay Lodge

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Well, it's finally here, my trip of a life time, I hope. Leaving next week.

Has anyone been to Crocodile Bay Lodge and can you share what to bring and what not to bring. Is CBL as good as everyone says it is?

Thanks for the info. and I will post pictures when I return. SSLBI311

A number of members here have gone - I'm hoping that some of them can help yah out with some solid info icon14.gif

I'd bring giant poppers, long casting surface lures, jigs, metal and lots of spare spools of line smile.gif

TimS

The short list for surf casting the Pacific tropics:

Surface -

Super Strike Little Neck Poppers - 2 3/8 ounce sinkers

Roberts Ranger "Whistlers"

Mid depth -

F-14 (AKA Mickey jig) metals 3 ounce

T-Hex metals 3 ounce

Bottom -

Big Bucktails (leave the plastics at home)

Shallow rock fishing-

castmasters one ounce

All these things reach waayyy out and are fish killers.

I'll bet that you will be be hooked and your "trip of a lifetime" will be just chapter one of a long book.

A friend from work is leaving for there on the 15th and he can't wait. Today I pointed him to the Fearsome Foursome thread to fire him up biggrin.gif That's a great read, HPD icon14.gif Wish I could say I was going with him frown.gif Enjoy your trip!

Mike

Hello SSLBI311 HappyWave.gif

I've been to Crocodile Bay Lodge many times and I am scheduled to fish it again in early May. What to bring? For starters...

Fly: An assortment of flies in all colors and sizes!

Casting: An assortment of poppers, bucktails, rubber shads, tins, swimmers and butterfly jigs )pink pattern).

Bottom & Bait: An assortment of laser sharp hooks in all sizes (octopus), egg sinkers (3oz, 8 oz)

Important information: Lures & Flies = Colors: Mainly mullet patterns (light blue back with white belly), Sardine (light blue / olive back, yellow pronounced lateral line with white belly), Moonfish pattern (like peanut bunker / white with slight olive back), Blue runner pattern: (Aqua blue back, bright yellow with white belly).

Misc: Fluorocarbon leaders in 20, 100 lbs. test, extra spools of line and suntan lotion, shades, shorts and t-shirts.

With the above list, it is difficult to limit to the said weight requirement (25 lbs.) but try your best. I for one failed big time and I've averaged 50-70 lbs. (which there will be an additional charge ($1 per lbs. per each small puddle flight destination).

Is it overrated? If you have an open mind and think out of the box... You should do great! I've had many large critters such as 70 lbs. Rooster, 30 lbs. + Cubera ( check 2006 Saltwater Sportsman Calendar / Mr. Oct.), 165 lbs. Yellow fin tuna, Mullet snappers, Amberjacks, African Pompano, Snook, Wahoo, Triggerfish, leather bass, Mahi, Mahi, Triple tail, huge Catfish, marlin, exotic non-identifiable critters and huge unstoppable monsters and the list goes on and on!

I hope this helps but if you have any further questions, Don't hesitate! smile.gif

Well, there are 6 more days left until I take off for C.R.. Thank-you all for your advice and comments. Since I'm new to this forum, I failed to mention a couple things.

CBL is an all inclusive lodge, they supply all gear, mates captain's lures etc..No I didn't win this trip on a raffle. My friends read about CBL and or new someone who went and reccomended CBL. Since you are only allowed to bring 25lbs of luggage I know u can pay to bring more), I was curious more about fishing clothing, gloves something in those lines?? How is the food in the lodge. How are the seas? Thanks,, SSLBI311

Well, there are 6 more days left until I take off for C.R.. Thank-you all for your advice and comments. Since I'm new to this forum, I failed to mention a couple things.

CBL is an all inclusive lodge, they supply all gear, mates captain's lures etc..No I didn't win this trip on a raffle. My friends read about CBL and or new someone who went and reccomended CBL. Since you are only allowed to bring 25lbs of luggage I know u can pay to bring more), I was curious more about fishing clothing, gloves something in those lines?? How is the food in the lodge. How are the seas? Thanks,, SSLBI311

The food / chefs are spectacular!!! In fact, the food is just as good as the fishing! smile.gif

As for clothing, I have the Columbia light weight cotton shirts and pants and it keeps me cool in the worst tropical heat. Also, don't forget sun-tan lotion and a shades!!!!

The seas? Don't worry.... The worst the condition - The BETTER the fishing gets! cwm12.gif

Funny thing. I just saw a fishing show on Croc Bay late last night (west coast) and it looked like a blast. The host's wife caught a 108 lb rooster fish on live bait. Apparently it would have been a woman's world record, but somewhere in the over a hour long fight, one of the mates helped her with the rod.

The food looks great and the ocean was beatiful. Have a great time....like I really had to say that.

Hey al...ever been up to guatemala? We just booked a week there for this december, sails on the fly and roosters.

Hello JohnM

Please PM me about Guatemala! wink.gif

would love for you guys to keep this in the forum ... any chance?? Would certainly appreciate it!

HJ were staying at sailfish bay lodge. Dec 2-9 the idea is to chase sails on the fly and conventional as wlel as chasing rooseters in the wash and off the boat at least 1 day.

THE SBL came recomended to me and having dealt with them settingup the trip they seemed to have asll thier ducks in a row and are willing to do whatever we ask of them. We shall see how that goes once we are there. In the past ive dealt with another outfitter and it was a bad experience dealing with them, leading to the trip not happeneing. they had thier "canned" trips and deviating from that set schedule was all but impossible. The SBL people have been the exact opposite very accomadating.