beerdoh

SUP Fishing

64 posts in this topic

On 2/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, Sparkerdawg said:

Live Watersports makes an incredibly stable and fast sup.  It’s my go to for ocean and intercoastal.  

Is that the live2fish? Looks like a cool platform. Is it really faster than the average SUP?

Hi yes,

Considerately faster than average sup shape.  Not sure how it compares to a bote rackham with the v-hull.  

Downside are that that is heavy and less manueverable  than a average sup shape.

22 mins ago, Sparkerdawg said:

Hi yes,

Considerately faster than average sup shape.  Not sure how it compares to a bote rackham with the v-hull.  

Downside are that that is heavy and less manueverable  than a average sup shape.

I have the Bote HD and it cuts through the water nicely and is very quiet. It’s also pretty light and easy to launch which is what I was looking for. 

2 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I have the Bote HD and it cuts through the water nicely and is very quiet. It’s also pretty light and easy to launch which is what I was looking for. 

Nice, are you launching from the beach?  If yes, what reels are you using?  It’s really tough to keep the salt water out when launching in the surf.

15 mins ago, Sparkerdawg said:

Nice, are you launching from the beach?  If yes, what reels are you using?  It’s really tough to keep the salt water out when launching in the surf.

Not usually from the beach but I dunk my reels all the time (once when I flipped it in a heavy cross current). I use a VR50 which never leaks or a  Slammer 3500/4500 which I discovered are prone to leaking. 

7 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Not usually from the beach but I dunk my reels all the time (once when I flipped it in a heavy cross current). I use a VR50 which never leaks or a  Slammer 3500/4500 which I discovered are prone to leaking. 

Me too, been through 8 spinfisher VIs. They can’t handle dunking or heavy splashing.  Since the reels are mounted to the deck it’s almost unavoidable launching and beaching.  I’m in the marketing for a zeebaas or vr50 now

27 mins ago, Sparkerdawg said:

Me too, been through 8 spinfisher VIs. They can’t handle dunking or heavy splashing.  Since the reels are mounted to the deck it’s almost unavoidable launching and beaching.  I’m in the marketing for a zeebaas or vr50 now

I saw your post. I honestly wouldn’t bring a $1200 reel out on my paddle board. I’d go with a VR50 or perhaps a SaltX if they prove to be water tight. 

I use a VS150 and a heavy duty, well connected leash on my Bote HD. Ive broke the cooler straps twice launching through the surf on smaller days. It doesnt take much for the water water to rip exposed items off the deck. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to own 3 hobies one with outriggers so I can stand and fish i now own two paddle boards one with electric motor on  inflatable and a catamaran style live2fish with a 2.5 outboard.I sight fish most of the time so these are great for how i fish getting some exercise is a bonus .its not for everyone and you have to pick and choose conditions but i love it.

Screenshot_20200304-115900_Instagram.jpg

20200304_120239.jpg

Edited by TimS
commercial site link removed

A couple of my inshore spots require launching at low incoming for the best bite and my only option was to remove the main fin and put on small side fins that don’t track well. My search for other options turned up this retractable fin that looks promising for launching and paddling in shallow water and over obstacles. The plastic base it came with was flimsy so I made a sturdier one out of aluminum. Looking forward to trying it out this spring. 

AE5B7C09-0F8A-4EDD-82A8-FA289231B945.jpeg

I've been sea kayaking and suping for awhile now, and have been wanting to try out the sup for fishing. I can do okay fishing out of the sea kayak, but I can definitely see how a sit on top would be a better platform, but not sure I want to invest in a peddle drive 

I have a fairly stable 14 foot down wind board I'm going to try out. I recently picked up a fishing lifejacket with velcro rod holders built into it, hoping this might work to keep the rod out of the way when paddling. I'm near Thompson Island and Squaw Rock so I'll give it a shot around there on a calm day. 

I've grown to prefer the sup to my kayaks for the extra same reason, I got tired of putting kayaks up on the roof of my car. 

I didn’t like the long thin fins the L2F came with. It’s a very stable boat but if a fin catches a log or something you’re going down. I bought bigger rubber fins and cut them down to about the same surface area as the original equipment and so far so good. The retractable fin seems like a good idea.

0FF77ACC-F7D1-4B5A-933E-A097144D926D.jpeg

I have a BotE Drift Inflatable which is currently for sale in classified section. Also bought an inflatable Bote Rover which you really can’t paddle if there’s any wind. I have a trolling motor on it but you can put a 6 HP on it. It’s only 60 pounds. I’ve been leaving it inflated and car topping it. 

I have the Eagle FishSUP 126 and it is pretty awesome to fish out of. It’s way more stable than my kayaks and pretty fast, too. I just worry about how it will hold up over time to the sun and rocks.