beerdoh

SUP Fishing

64 posts in this topic

Off season SUP prep: I took a broom handle, put a screw eye in the bottom and a tee on the top. Screw eye into the framing of this column in my basement, plus a safety rope, and an elastic. This one is 60 lbs, about $12 at Dick's. I happened to have the Bosu ball. I put the Bosu upside down and stand on it and start paddling. Three sets of 25 each side is a pretty good workout.

IMG_0369.jpeg

52 mins ago, Fun King said:

Off season SUP prep: I took a broom handle, put a screw eye in the bottom and a tee on the top. Screw eye into the framing of this column in my basement, plus a safety rope, and an elastic. This one is 60 lbs, about $12 at Dick's. I happened to have the Bosu ball. I put the Bosu upside down and stand on it and start paddling. Three sets of 25 each side is a pretty good workout.

IMG_0369.jpeg

Nice! 

I started SUP Fishing a few years back. I wouldn't give up my yak for it, but like the OP said, lugging it around gets old. I did downgrade to the 10' 6' Old town topwater PDL. Much better for me. I can fish all day in it.

I use an iSUP  in the sedges behind IBSP for fishing. Conditions have to be perfect. Almost exclusively an early morning activity as the south wind kicks up almost every afternoon in the spring-summer.   so light, so effective... 

I live near the park and have a couple SUPs.  Available to borrow if anyone wants to give it a shot. Send me a message. 

3 hours ago, Fun King said:

IMG_0369.jpeg

Love the ingenuity on this site. 

2 hours ago, SG1 said:

I started SUP Fishing a few years back. I wouldn't give up my yak for it, but like the OP said, lugging it around gets old. I did downgrade to the 10' 6' Old town topwater PDL. Much better for me. I can fish all day in it.

I use an iSUP  in the sedges behind IBSP for fishing. Conditions have to be perfect. Almost exclusively an early morning activity as the south wind kicks up almost every afternoon in the spring-summer.   so light, so effective... 

I live near the park and have a couple SUPs.  Available to borrow if anyone wants to give it a shot. Send me a message. 

That is where i catch all my fish you can come with me in the spring it will be fun. I usually fo late afternoon for blue fish.

21 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

After loading PDL on the roof of my car a few times I realized I'm going either injure myself or damage the car and got a basic trailer. Again - defeating the idea of kayak fishing /mobility.

That was my thinking as well. I had a good system for loading and unloading on the roof but it was a multi-step process. I thought about a trailer but that's a non-starter in many of the places I like to launch from. I even thought about asking a marina if I could pay a fee to leave it there. In the end, it just didn't work for me. Perhaps someday I'll get a boat and a mooring but for now I'll stick with the board and the beach. 

i bought my gf a HD aero inflatable last year and i've quickly been taking it over with the fishing accessories. i want to try it in the back around jamaica bay when conditions are decent. what are you guys wearing gear-wise in the early spring? i don't think i'm ready to spring for a dry suit just yet...

On 1/30/2020 at 0:47 PM, runnsfromcops said:

i bought my gf a HD aero inflatable last year and i've quickly been taking it over with the fishing accessories. i want to try it in the back around jamaica bay when conditions are decent. what are you guys wearing gear-wise in the early spring? i don't think i'm ready to spring for a dry suit just yet...

I just bought a pair of these Level 6 bibs. I got them for $270  on sale with a coupon at Outdoor Play. Quality is great but I need to exchange them for a larger size. I’ll pair them with a semi-dry top and neoprene booties in the spring. 

C8CF3739-B778-41B2-85D5-95C071A33EF6.jpeg

On 1/30/2020 at 0:47 PM, runnsfromcops said:

I use waders and a dry top. I have found that the fish like the flats in the spring. I usually go almost to the edge of the drop off from where it goes to say 4 or 5 feet to 9 feet and the fish are right there. I am not paddling out into the middle of the bay i am paddling to the edge and i can tell by the change in water color and than causing right along it. The thing is i can cover a couple hundred yards where the wading guys can't. 

40 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

I use waders and a dry top. I have found that the fish like the flats in the spring. I usually go almost to the edge of the drop off from where it goes to say 4 or 5 feet to 9 feet and the fish are right there. I am not paddling out into the middle of the bay i am paddling to the edge and i can tell by the change in water color and than causing right along it. The thing is i can cover a couple hundred yards where the wading guys can't. 

thanks for the responses guys. i do have a dry top but it needs some repairs. hopefully i can get that done before the season starts. i like the bib setup but it doesn't seem like it would be too much different than waders and a dry top. do you guys use surfing booties or dive boots or just regular wading boots?

41 mins ago, runnsfromcops said:

thanks for the responses guys. i do have a dry top but it needs some repairs. hopefully i can get that done before the season starts. i like the bib setup but it doesn't seem like it would be too much different than waders and a dry top. do you guys use surfing booties or dive boots or just regular wading boots?

Flats boots or dive type boots depending on the temp of the water.

The bibs I got are basically a lighter weight pair of waders with a dry sock instead of a neoprene sock. They are also reinforced in the knees and rear and have the all important relief zipper! I thought about using my stocking foot waders but they are heavier and a bit baggy. I haven't used the bibs yet so I'll see how it goes.