beerdoh

SUP Fishing

64 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Fun King said:

I have a similar setup. This is on an inflatable but I have since added a LIV2FISH to my fleet. The inflatable is very light and manageable, the L2F less so, but more stable and faster at sea.

IMG_0195.jpeg

Nice setup! I like that bucket! Is that one of those padded Bucket Lidz? Where did you get the base? I love my KULA cooler but it's heavy as hell and I only use it as a seat and for storage so don't need all the insulation. I was thinking of some lighter options but it has to be easy to open and close and be water tight. Is that lid water tight and easy to open?

15 mins ago, dbjpb said:

Beerdoh : Would you recommend an adjustable sup paddle  length to cover paddling while standing or sitting or kneeling ?

I read some reviews about the bote sup's taking on water ?  Do they have a drain plug like a kayak ?

They appear to be more durable then fiber glass but they also seem to be a bit heavier ? 

Do you like having  the gator skin on it ? 

Hey, An adjustable paddle could help with that but they are heavier and not as solid. I've had no issues using my standard paddle while sitting or kneeling. I just choke up on it.

The Gatorshell has a nicer finish than a standard plastic board and is more durable than a glass board. Seems to be a nice compromise between weight and durability. It's also supposed to float a bit higher than glass epoxy as it's less dense. Mine hasn't taken on water. The board would have to be compromised somehow for that to happen. They come with a Gore Tex vent that you aren't supposed to mess with. I believe it's there to handle thermal expansion. There is no drain plug. 

I've only used it for a season but thus far, I'm glad a purchased a Gatorshell board.

Interesting.

I tried fishing a couple of times on my SUP before I got the kayak. It was a downwind board, long with a pointy nose and tail and not very stable (very fast though lol). I was fishing Boston harbor waters and even on a relatively calm day I was pushed a lot and was jealous of my buddy in a pedal kayak making circles around me and moving from spot to spot. So I got a Predator PDL and after initial excitement settled a bit; I realized it's indeed heavy and not easy to launch pedal drive ratio is less fun I was expecting etc. Now I live really close to the beach and could walk there with the lighter setup, but not sure if I want to pull Predator uphill after fishing haha. I realized that heavy kayak defeat the purpose - not very mobile and you don't go far offshore. So I'm on the fence - either go for lightweight yak, ditch pedal drive and all goodies I'm hauling or go to the opposite directionget the boat and keep in water during the season :) .

your board or I would call it fishing planform is very cool for flats and calm bays though. I'm sure it fun. I love SUP.  

14 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

So I'm on the fence - either go for lightweight yak, ditch pedal drive and all goodies I'm hauling or go to the opposite directionget the boat and keep in water during the season :) .

I don't often recommend my i11s...but this seems perfect for your situation: 

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-i11s/

The bucket, rubber base and padded lid are all from Shurhold. It comes with some internal trays too. The lid is friction fit but it's water tight. I cut slots in the rim to fit Yeti accessories and added velcro to attach the Yeti pouch. I went this route instead of a cooler because it is lighter. Since this photo I changed the bungie hold downs to adjustable straps which are more secure. A cooler with a boat seat cushion is more comfortable but more effort to lug around.

I ordered a Koala cell phone harness and tether. It hasn't come yet but it seems like a good idea.

21 mins ago, oceanAddict said:

Interesting.

I tried fishing a couple of times on my SUP before I got the kayak. It was a downwind board, long with a pointy nose and tail and not very stable (very fast though lol). I was fishing Boston harbor waters and even on a relatively calm day I was pushed a lot and was jealous of my buddy in a pedal kayak making circles around me and moving from spot to spot. So I got a Predator PDL and after initial excitement settled a bit; I realized it's indeed heavy and not easy to launch pedal drive ratio is less fun I was expecting etc. Now I live really close to the beach and could walk there with the lighter setup, but not sure if I want to pull Predator uphill after fishing haha. I realized that heavy kayak defeat the purpose - not very mobile and you don't go far offshore. So I'm on the fence - either go for lightweight yak, ditch pedal drive and all goodies I'm hauling or go to the opposite directionget the boat and keep in water during the season :) .

your board or I would call it fishing planform is very cool for flats and calm bays though. I'm sure it fun. I love SUP.  

I took a Dremel to the prop on my PDL so I could pedal at higher RPM's. It did help but was still very painful on my knees. I've been a cyclist all my life and used to race bikes but could not get used to the PDL. I had a paddle yak previously and liked it better than the PDL but it was still a chore to transport on the roof of my car. 

12 mins ago, Fun King said:

The bucket, rubber base and padded lid are all from Shurhold. It comes with some internal trays too. The lid is friction fit but it's water tight. I cut slots in the rim to fit Yeti accessories and added velcro to attach the Yeti pouch. I went this route instead of a cooler because it is lighter. Since this photo I changed the bungie hold downs to adjustable straps which are more secure. A cooler with a boat seat cushion is more comfortable but more effort to lug around.

I ordered a Koala cell phone harness and tether. It hasn't come yet but it seems like a good idea.

Thank, I'll check it out.

6 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I took a Dremel to the prop on my PDL so I could pedal at higher RPM's. It did help but was still very painful on my knees. I've been a cyclist all my life and used to race bikes but could not get used to the PDL. I had a paddle yak previously and liked it better than the PDL but it was still a chore to transport on the roof of my car. 

What is the gear ratio on the PDL? I have a  perception pilot, the gear ratio is 6:1 which seems fine to me tho I am def not a cyclist.  There is a point of diminishing returns on boat speed vs pedal speed,  but I easily cruise by Hobies  at much less than full effort.   I don't think I've been on the water with any other type of prop drive to compare.  

Maybe the pedal/prop manufacturers should start using a gear box with high/ low gear.  High gear to haul ass to spots, low gear to mosey around .

58 mins ago, mark77 said:

What is the gear ratio on the PDL? I have a  perception pilot, the gear ratio is 6:1 which seems fine to me tho I am def not a cyclist.  There is a point of diminishing returns on boat speed vs pedal speed,  but I easily cruise by Hobies  at much less than full effort.   I don't think I've been on the water with any other type of prop drive to compare.  

Maybe the pedal/prop manufacturers should start using a gear box with high/ low gear.  High gear to haul ass to spots, low gear to mosey around .

From what I've read, the only people complaining about the gearing on the PDL are serious cyclists who are accustomed to spinning all day at 80 - 90 RPM's. It's more efficient and puts less load on your knees. Grinding a hard gear at low RPM's is hard on the knees no matter who you are.

Trimming the prop allowed me to pedal at a higher RPM but didn't increase (or decrease) the speed of the boat. A gear box would be nice but I don't think it would make you go any faster as there is a lot of drag...unless you can get up on plane. 

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

After loading PDL on the roof of my car a few times I realized I'm going either injure myself or damage the car and got a basic trailer. Again - defeating the idea of kayak fishing /mobility.

BEERDOH:   Did you consider a light weight thermo formed kayak? Like a  Hurricane Skimmer  SOT kayak.

Ocean kayak makes a scrambler or a prowler kayak that are pretty light and durable they are roto molded.

They are a little  heavier then your SUP ?   They are pretty easy to transport and I 

think they would work under more adverse conditions?  If you want to stand and fish the SUP is the way to go

if you need a light weight vessel. Most kayaks you can stand in are pretty heavy. I have owned a few SUP's. 

Some are more tippy then others. I don't think I could fish off the one I own standing up. I could fish off it sitting down.

Unfortunately I don't have the mount points needed for a cooler and or rods . I have seen a few guys on SUP's down in seaside out front in the ocean catching fish. Very talented people. I don't think I would make it through the surf zone

with my gear.

51 mins ago, dbjpb said:

BEERDOH:   Did you consider a light weight thermo formed kayak? Like a  Hurricane Skimmer  SOT kayak.

Ocean kayak makes a scrambler or a prowler kayak that are pretty light and durable they are roto molded.

They are a little  heavier then your SUP ?   They are pretty easy to transport and I 

think they would work under more adverse conditions?  If you want to stand and fish the SUP is the way to go

if you need a light weight vessel. Most kayaks you can stand in are pretty heavy. I have owned a few SUP's. 

Some are more tippy then others. I don't think I could fish off the one I own standing up. I could fish off it sitting down.

Unfortunately I don't have the mount points needed for a cooler and or rods . I have seen a few guys on SUP's down in seaside out front in the ocean catching fish. Very talented people. I don't think I would make it through the surf zone

with my gear.

Yeah, I had a Pelican Catch 120 SOT. It weighed 69 lbs and I actually liked that boat better than the PDL as it was lighter and you could adjust the seat height to a lower position. I could also paddle in shallower water which you definitely can't do with a PDL. Still, once rigged, it was a PITA to transport and launch. 

I'm pretty sold on SUP fishing. The places I use the SUP don't require beach launches but I wouldn't be against it as I've ridden SUP's in small surf before. Mine is quite stable and I've had no issues paddling it through some heavy windblown chop and the constant boat wakes in Boston harbor. If it get's bad I sit on the cooler. The key is to keep is simple. Essentially a rod, a paddle, hydration and a bag of plugs. I'm usually on the water within 5 or 10 minutes after parking. 

FYI, you can install mount points (essentially leash plugs) into a hard board. You can buy a kit with the inserts, epoxy and hole saw and put them where ever you want. Once installed, Scotty, RAM and YakAttack all make what they call leash plug adapters that allow you to install rod holders and the like. 

5 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Yeah, I had a Pelican Catch 120 SOT. It weighed 69 lbs and I actually liked that boat better than the PDL as it was lighter and you could adjust the seat height to a lower position. I could also paddle in shallower water which you definitely can't do with a PDL. Still, once rigged, it was a PITA to transport and launch. 

I'm pretty sold on SUP fishing. The places I use the SUP don't require beach launches but I wouldn't be against it as I've ridden SUP's in small surf before. Mine is quite stable and I've had no issues paddling it through some heavy windblown chop and the constant boat wakes in Boston harbor. If it get's bad I sit on the cooler. The key is to keep is simple. Essentially a rod, a paddle, hydration and a bag of plugs. I'm usually on the water within 5 or 10 minutes after parking. 

FYI, you can install mount points (essentially leash plugs) into a hard board. You can buy a kit with the inserts, epoxy and hole saw and put them where ever you want. Once installed, Scotty, RAM and YakAttack all make what they call leash plug adapters that allow you to install rod holders and the like. 

You writing so convincing that I might give a SUP fishing another try :)