SUP Fishing

So last year I sold my Predator PDL and picked up a paddle board to use as my fishing platform. My goal was to simplify and get something easier to transport and launch that I could take into shallower water. My PDL was nicely rigged with a Humminbird side scan GPS fish finder and various other accessories but I hated it. I hated launching it, I hated the gear ratio on the pedal drive and I really hated loading & hauling it on the roof of my car. Each trip was a chore and I always dreaded hauling it out after a day on the water.

After lots of research I chose the 12’ BOTE HD Bug Slinger as it’s geared towards fishing and has holes for a sand spear, attachment points for a cooler and tackle rack and a hull that doesn’t slap against the water. It came with a carbon fiber paddle and I also purchased a KULA 5 cooler and a tackle rack. I rigged up an anchor system for when I’m fishing skinny water and don’t want to get dragged around while fighting a fish.

It’s the best decision I could have made for the type of fishing I like to do. Granted it’s not for everyone but I’m not new to paddle boards so I was comfortable with the idea of fishing on one. The first time I used it I caught more fish in a single morning than I did the entire previous year on my PDL. This was due to being able to launch in a particularly fishy location where putting in a heavy yak isn’t possible. The shoreline in this area I fish is completely bordered by private property except for one tiny parking area with a stone wall between the car and water.

Anyway, so far, I’m loving it. The board alone weighs only 45 lbs. so loading and launching is a snap. I bought the KULA mainly to store things in and to sit on. The tackle rack is handy but this year I’m simplifying further with one or two rod holders mounted with a leash plug adapter.

The only drawback is paddling in windy or very choppy water but in those conditions, I can just sit on the cooler instead of stand. Below are a couple pics of my setup. Anyone else out there using a SUP to fish on?

Bote1.0.jpg

Bote2.0.jpg

I wish you were in new jersey i fish from an inflatable paddle board.  I only used in the bays in paces i might have been able to wade out to but not safely. Most of the time i was within two hundred yards of waders but i was able to get pas where they could go and every time i ought fished them by a large margin and i would talk to people int he lot after the bite and they would comment on how i killed them. 

One day i want to bring it to brewsters flats. 

wind really dictates what i can do but most of the time i can stay relatively close to sure fishing in about 9 feet of water and paddle back to 3 feet of water and walk it back if the wind and current get too much for me to handle. 

SUP are great platforms until you encounter  wind, wakes, current. Under ideal conditions they are amazing.

Under adverse conditions they are really bad. It is amazing how much wind you catch by standing up.

Also amazing how your balance is effected by standing.  

30 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

I wish you were in new jersey i fish from an inflatable paddle board.  I only used in the bays in paces i might have been able to wade out to but not safely. Most of the time i was within two hundred yards of waders but i was able to get pas where they could go and every time i ought fished them by a large margin and i would talk to people int he lot after the bite and they would comment on how i killed them. 

One day i want to bring it to brewsters flats. 

wind really dictates what i can do but most of the time i can stay relatively close to sure fishing in about 9 feet of water and paddle back to 3 feet of water and walk it back if the wind and current get too much for me to handle. 

Agree, getting out to wading spots is a great use and I do that a lot with the sand spike or anchor. Brewster is an ideal place for a paddle board but I haven't done it yet.

I have used mine in some pretty swift tidal river current and have had no issues paddling against it. The only trouble I got into was going from an eddy to traverse across a fast current. I learned that if you don't pressure the downstream side of the board, the current will grab the upriver side and flip you. This happened to me once when I was sitting on the cooler. I figured the current would just swing the board down river but as soon as I eased into it, I went right over and took a refreshing dip. 

I fish right from the board in deeper water and usually sit on the cooler to fight and land a fish.

1 hour ago, bronson said:

did you get the gatorshell one?  I had a reg hd a few years back and regret selling it.....but am def tempted to buy a flood this spring in gatorshell ....is gatorshell as bombproof as they say? thx

Yes I got the Gatorshell. I don't think they make glass ones in the HD any longer. As far as bomb proof, it scratches about as easy as a plastic yak but it's not going to dent or crack like a glass board. I did install some protective rail tape to reduce the potential for scratches from paddling and contact with rocks. I'm hoping it holds up for a long time. I almost got the Flood but was able to sell my yak to cover the cost of the HD and accessories so went with that. BOTE makes great boards but the shipping cost is a hard pill to swallow. Wish they had more local representation... 

15 hours ago, kombi_rs said:

sweet rig! I wanna try that kinda setup in FL

Same here. There are some cool videos out there of people catching tarpon and sharks from their boards. I'd think a board would be ideal for inshore fishing in the shallows...

Beerdoh : Would you recommend an adjustable sup paddle  length to cover paddling while standing or sitting or kneeling ?

I read some reviews about the bote sup's taking on water ?  Do they have a drain plug like a kayak ?

They appear to be more durable then fiber glass but they also seem to be a bit heavier ? 

Do you like having  the gator skin on it ?