Scubaman

Belgrade Lakes Area Maine

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone fished in the Belgrade Lakes area in central Maine?  how was the fishing? I am planning on trips in mid May and in Mid June for largemouth and smallmouth.  I hear that the Black Flies can be bad in the spring in Maine.  How bad are they in mid May thru the end of June?  do they swarm on the lakes?  Just don't want to be in the middle of the black fly swarms.  thanks!

I fished it late August a few years ago. Water was down which made fishing tough. Drop shots and fluorocarbon leaders were key due to the crystal clear water. Caught some Smallies don’t remember any largemouth. Also caught a few pike. I’d imagine early spring would be a lot better just be prepared to fish clear water. 

I fished Long Pond at the Belgrades July 1st-July 6th a few years ago for the first time. It was every cast fishing for SMB. Never seen anything like that before. The manager at Cast Island Camp Ground said they were just done spawning.  A blue black senko and it was party. I mist have went through 12 bags.  Most were under 2lbs but on light tackle it was an absolute blast.  At the same time frame Alewives were doing their spawn over by the feeder creek west of Castle Island. 4-6".  The chrome and blue spook kicked ass there. Even by all those Alewives I never had anything over 2lbs.  Out of 15 anglers when I was there only 2 had any smb's over 3lbs and those were caught at night. All the SMB's and the bulk of the action was from Green Island right up to Castle Island.  Two years later I hit it back in August and all the action for SMB's was from Green Island and South.  There's a boulder field on the East Side and that was great but it never came close to when we hit it 4th of July week when the smb's came off the beds.  It was just world class. 

As far as I know April-May had some hot pike action in long pond.  Castle Isle Campground had plaques from Pike fisherman and most were 10-20lbs and the months were April and May.  I chased Pike up there but mostly in the Belgrade Stream.  Loaded with Pike in there.  I highly advise going to the stream and tossing a yellow spinner bait. Lots of fun. I did all my trips in the kayak.  If you are in a bass boat I heard the better spots for bigger smb and lmbs were on the south end of Long Pond.

If you go have fun it's a fun place to fish up there.

81C23B85-10F3-4BE5-8ABF-1D8D1D044920.png

I don't know how long the Pike fishing will stay good up there in the Belgrades. I know Pike and even SMB are invasive in some areas. They stopped stalking Salmon in Long Pond. On the shores of the Belgrade Stream all you see is dead 30" pike.  Anglers are instructed to catch and either take em home or let em die on the bank.

"Maine is aggressively fighting invasive plants and insects, but not wild animals and fish, like this northern pike. And I think that’s too bad.

This recent quote from Doug Denico, Director of Maine’s Forestry Bureau, got my attention: “The Maine Forest Service, Public Lands and the Natural Areas Program have joined with the Bureau of Agriculture, Food and Rural Resources to locate and eradicate invasive plant and animal species.”

I asked Doug for clarification and this is what he told me: “We have a mapping and control program on Public Lands, with Parks next. We find there are some lots where we don’t have a chance of rolling back the clock. So we are concentrating on areas where we can make a long term difference.

“As this is on Public Lands, we are financing the cost out of timber revenues. The invasive plants we are after are those that would prohibit the natural regeneration of our forests. On private lands we map if given a grant. Control/eradication would be left to the owners.

“On animals, mostly for insects but including diseases, we use Dave Struble’s shop. We have had great success on some beasts and none on others. Examples. Kept the Emerald Ash Borer out of Maine. We have no impact on the Dutch Elm disease,” wrote Doug.

We can only wish the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife had stepped up to battle  invasive fish and wildlife – especially fish. But they have done nothing as species after species was spread statewide.

Long Pond, just 10 minutes from my Mount Vernon home, was once one of the best landlocked salmon waters in the state. Today, it is filled with 9 invasive fish including northern pike. And DIF&W has stopped stocking salmon there.

Pike are one of the state’s most invasive and destructive species, introduced illegally in many Maine waters. DIF&W has done nothing to rid those waters of pike. Very sad.

Here’s a look at what Michigan, a state that is much more aggressive in fighting invasives, is doing"

I fished Long Pond for a week last June.  Smallmouth fishing was insane. Probably the best in terms of quantity out of any Maine or New Hampshire lake I’ve fished. No big fish though. Out of hundreds of bass the biggest was only 2.5 lbs. We caught only a couple LMB and didn’t see or catch any pike.