Scubaman

Belgrade Lakes Area Maine

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am planning a trip in mid May and in mid June to the Belgrade lakes area in Central Maine, China Lake and Webber Pond for largemouth fishing.  How bad are the Black Flies this time of the spring?  are the so bad that you don't want to be outside?  Are they are problem on the lakes or just the rivers?  thanks!

2 hours ago, Peter D said:

Out on the lake minimal black flies. In the woods-loaded.

If it's not windy, plan on BF hell anytime you're within 2 casts of the shoreline.

Fished them a couple of times, I didn't think they were bad out on the water.  Nice country, few more bugs and a lot less people. That's a fair trade any day.

4 hours ago, Scubaman said:

thanks Phil, good to know.  maybe I will postpone until July.  the spring trip could be to Florida, no black flies.

I'd strongly vote against that.  PM me your number and I'll fill you in via phone, if you'd like.

I’d suggest late September if it makes no difference....if you want to fish em

on their beds upta you....September into early October are IMHO the best Time in this State....plus The fishing is great......shhhhhh

In Mid May it depends on temp. and sunshine.Cloudy and below 50ish ok.Sunny and warm they're out.June it's peak BF time.Great smallie fishing Long Pond and Belgrade Lake.Pike are mixed with water temp effects.

18 hours ago, Scubaman said:

thanks Peter.  I will bring a good amount of bug spray.  have you fished in Webber pond or China Lake?

Eh, repellent not very effective on black flies, the guardians of the North woods...  Wear long sleeves, slacks and have mosquito netting.

11 hours ago, Plugger207 said:

I’d suggest late September if it makes no difference....if you want to fish em

on their beds upta you....September into early October are IMHO the best Time in this State....plus The fishing is great......shhhhhh

thanks for the tip Plugger, a late September trip could work.

Totally a personal preference....the fishing is good in May/June as well.....but some early fall colors....way less bugs, the way life should be if you will....a good chance for stripers as you travel too.....

On 1/28/2020 at 0:09 PM, Scubaman said:

thanks Peter.  I will bring a good amount of bug spray.  have you fished in Webber pond or China Lake?

No I haven't. I've limited my fishing to Great and Long ponds.