Goldy

Itinerary Help for a fellow Fisherman with Wife and 3yr old

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

one of the reasons I love this site is the advice I get from fellow fisherman.  

The wife and I want to take a trip up to the cape this summer for a family vacation with my 3yr old.  I convinced her to go around the new moon phase in July as it might present me the best chance to get nice fish.    

The vacation would like to consist of relaxing times with family, driving the beaches and hanging out, and fishing (when I can)

I'm not familiar with anything other than the CCC, and that's not really a family friendly place to hang out.  I'm not looking to spot burn people's secret beaches in cape code bay.  Just looking for some help with an itinerary on places to stay, places to eat, just places to hang out with family.  I'm not opposed to splitting it up also in parts of rhode island either.  

I'm hoping the wonderful people of Mass can assist and we have been saving for a gateway, so we can stay at nice places as well.

I'm welcome to anyone's advice that they can provide or even PM me details.   Maybe even catch a tide together.

I will definitely return the favor if anyone wants to come to the jersey shore and fish and hang as well.  

Thanks to all in advance

Since you're not limiting yourselves to Cape Cod I suggest you look into Plymouth which is celebrating its 400 years of establishment this year.  Lots of great restaurants, history, scenery, good and affordable accommodations and several great beaches to fish or hang out on.  And it's only 15 minutes from the canal if you have a hankering. 

14 mins ago, John O' said:

Since you're not limiting yourselves to Cape Cod I suggest you look into Plymouth which is celebrating its 400 years of establishment this year.  Lots of great restaurants, history, scenery, good and affordable accommodations and several great beaches to fish or hang out on.  And it's only 15 minutes from the canal if you have a hankering. 

:howdy:Also you will have some beaches in Plymouth you could fish with the family or even go to the jetty. Agree with John on this one. Then again you could find a spot on the south side of the cape around Falmouth, Mashpee for further getting on some fishable beaches

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

The wife and I want to take a trip up to the cape this summer for a family vacation with my 3yr old....

How long would you plan to stay? 

2-3 days......a week.....two weeks, ….more?

Posted (edited) · Report post

When you say "driving the beaches" do you mean ORV/4WD ON the beaches or just going to the beach and parking in a lot?  

Not sure if every beach is the same, but Sandy Neck only sells yearly permits, no day/weekend passes.  I believe for non-res its $170...something like that.  Town of Dennis is the same in terms of annual passes only.

I BELIEVE CC National Seashore provides weekly passes for the ORV????  

Edited by FoliFish

20 mins ago, Joe G said:

How long would you plan to stay? 

2-3 days......a week.....two weeks, ….more?

Sorry, I should have provided more information.  I'm planning on a week up in that area.  I'm also not opposed if June is going to be better, say, the June new moon. 

11 mins ago, FoliFish said:

When you say "driving the beaches" do you mean ORV/4WD ON the beaches or just going to the beach and parking in a lot?  

Not sure if every beach is the same, but Sandy Neck only sells yearly permits, no day/weekend passes.  I believe for non-res its $170...something like that.  Town of Dennis is the same in terms of annual passes only.

I BELIEVE CC National Seashore provides weekly passes for the ORV????  

Yes, i'm talking about 4WD on the beaches like back home on Island beach.   Just wanted to explore a little

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

:howdy:Also you will have some beaches in Plymouth you could fish with the family or even go to the jetty. Agree with John on this one. Then again you could find a spot on the south side of the cape around Falmouth, Mashpee for further getting on some fishable beaches

Cool.. I will start my research tonight and I appreciate all the updated information.  

12 mins ago, troutworm said:

You mention July in your post,you do know that's the most Expensive

month of the year on Cape Cod,not to mention the most crowded,good

luck !

Like I said, not opposed to June, but I want to fish around the moon phases, and can't do full moon in July as wife has to work.   

Unless you guys tell me the best chance of fish is in June, i'm worried the july new moon will not produce some fish, as last year it was slow for the new moon in July in CCC if I recall from friends that went up, they had better success on the Full Moon on the mackeral/squid.  

Like i said, I'm not opposed to try anything.. and I welcome any of you guys down for spring fishing in Jersey, it's no CCC, but it will do.  

This past summer, late summer anyhow, I became acquainted with east sandwich beach, fishing wise.

If I was personally looking for a summer rental spot, that would be high on my list.  Seems to be very family friendly beach with decent fishing not too far away.

You would also be just down the "street" from Sandy Neck where they do allow ORV access.

I recommend Truro. You can drive the beach at Race Point. (If they're open, July is prime time for Plover nesting closings). Sometimes Coast Guard beach is open for driving for night/morning fishing. You also have close access to bayside beaches like Corn Hill which are much safer for swimming for kids (shallow, no waves, no sharks). It’s only a 10 minute drive to Provincetown for shopping and eating. 

1 min ago, Goldy said:

Sorry, I should have provided more information.  I'm planning on a week up in that area.  I'm also not opposed if June is going to be better, say, the June new moon. 

OK....one week.  Let's address where.

Personally, I like to lodge in one location and do day trips to other easy to reach locations.  For that I would have Sandwich as my home base and then fan out from there.  You don't want waste time bouncing around checking into and out of lodgings.  Stay in one central location.

Sandwich to P Town, is 60 miles...60 minutes....straight shot.  Check out Race Point, Herring Cove Beach, Nat'l. Seashore, the art galleries, sit on a bench check out the pedestrian traffic in P town.  Subsequent days, explore other towns along the outer and mid cape    Get up early AM, drive out, spend 8-10+ hours, head back, shower, eat locally in the Sandwich area, sleep soundly.. .

Sandwich north to Plymouth is 20 miles...20 minutes...straight shot...over the Sagamore Bridge.  Check out the Pilgrims, The Rock.

Where in Sandwich?   I've always had good luck with Country Acres Motel on 6A....centrally located....clean...family run....pool.....short distance from the Canal, the Town beach, Sandy Neck.  Check them out on line...call them.

Problem......Country Acres books up early..... many repeat customers.  Keep in mind, June and July will be busy on Cape.  If you plan to book, it's not too early to start now. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I recommend Truro. You can drive the beach at Race Point. (If they're open, July is prime time for Plover nesting closings). Sometimes Coast Guard beach is open for driving for night/morning fishing. You also have close access to bayside beaches like Corn Hill which are much safer for swimming for kids (shallow, no waves, no sharks). It’s only a 10 minute drive to Provincetown for shopping and eating. 

Don’t forget about Whitey and the seals

2 hours ago, z-man said:

x2 for truro. i’d only add that june may be better fishing.

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

OK....one week.  Let's address where.

Personally, I like to lodge in one location and do day trips to other easy to reach locations.  For that I would have Sandwich as my home base and then fan out from there.  You don't want waste time bouncing around checking into and out of lodgings.  Stay in one central location.

Sandwich to P Town, is 60 miles...60 minutes....straight shot.  Check out Race Point, Herring Cove Beach, Nat'l. Seashore, the art galleries, sit on a bench check out the pedestrian traffic in P town.  Subsequent days, explore other towns along the outer and mid cape    Get up early AM, drive out, spend 8-10+ hours, head back, shower, eat locally in the Sandwich area, sleep soundly.. .

Sandwich north to Plymouth is 20 miles...20 minutes...straight shot...over the Sagamore Bridge.  Check out the Pilgrims, The Rock.

Where in Sandwich?   I've always had good luck with Country Acres Motel on 6A....centrally located....clean...family run....pool.....short distance from the Canal, the Town beach, Sandy Neck.  Check them out on line...call them.

Problem......Country Acres books up early..... many repeat customers.  Keep in mind, June and July will be busy on Cape.  If you plan to book, it's not too early to start now. 

All great information.   I will sit down with the wife and discuss some places.. Maybe look for a nice AirBNB with an ocean view.  

Those damn plovers!  They tend to close the best fluke spots in Jersey during the season as well.. Protected birds my ass.. 

10 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

As for the fishing do you plan to fish daylight or nighttime and what gear do you plan to bring?

All depends, but I tend to night fish only back only, so I imagine night and some day fishing.. As for gear, I will bring canal gear for the canal, and for the beaches, I imagine, my standard jersey setup of a 10' with vs200 will be fine.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

Don’t forget about Whitey and the seals

Definitely bayside swimming only. 
Unless Hatches Harbor is open off of Race Point.  That is shark free but usually closed for birds in the early summer. 

Edited by z-man