b-ware

Sportmans Show

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

The annual Standish Sportmans Show is this weekend Feb. 1&2 at there clubhouse and ground in East Bridgewater.  Mostly a gun show with a little bit of everything else including great food...……….. 

12 hours ago, K Foley said:

Hi Bernie,

Are you going to attend or set up a booth or neither?

Hey Kevin, I'll be there sometime walking around and visiting, maybe buying but I will not be having a booth again this year...………...

A good place to try any fresh water gear out as they have there own Pond and also Pistol Range . The club has always been hospitably, but it is geared towards those who hunt. WE conducted many fishing seminars at the club house during the early days and we were always received with open arms.  

16 hours ago, b-ware said:

..  Mostly a gun show with a little bit of everything else including great food...……….. 

If your a Civil War aficionado, I understand that some elements of the 35th Virginia Calvary Battalion will be present..

19 mins ago, Joe G said:

If your a Civil War aficionado, I understand that some elements of the 35th Virginia Calvary Battalion will be present..

Is that the Confederate outfit that kicked Custer's ass in the battle of Champlain???????????????

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Is that the Confederate outfit that kicked Custer's ass in the battle of Champlain???????????????

The south will rise again?

20 mins ago, yemista said:

The south will rise again?

I just hope they have a different flag so no one gets offended...…………...

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Could be, but the 35th is better known as the outfit Josey Wales joined after Union solders massacred his family and destroyed his Missouri home stead,.

14 mins ago, Joe G said:

Could be, but the 35th is better known as the outfit Josey Wales joined after Union solders massacred his family and destroyed his Missouri home stead,.

Ah yes, the great Clint Eastwood, "life is hard Pilgrim, even harder when your stupid"...………...

3 hours ago, b-ware said:

Ah yes, the great Clint Eastwood, "life is hard Pilgrim, even harder when your stupid"...………...

Did Clint say that, or was it John Wayne?

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Did Clint say that, or was it John Wayne?

Gonna research this...I'll get back.

How about this...

A character named Jackie Brown who specialized in acquiring guns for fellow criminals employed the line. Brown thought it would be foolish to drive into the woods to meet with two strangers armed with machineguns to perform a transaction. Instead, he told a messenger that the two men should come to him. Emphasis added to excerpts by QI: 1

This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid. Now you go and get them, and I’ll be waiting here. When you come back I’ll tell you what to do next. Move.

Below are additional selected citations in chronological order.

When Higgins’s novel was made into a movie in 1973 the title was preserved. The main character, Eddie Coyle, was played by Robert Mitchum; however, Coyle never used the phrase in the book, and Mitchum did not utter it in the film. The gun dealer, Jackie Brown, was played by Steven Keats. He did speak a slightly altered version of the remark as shown in a film trailer: 2

This life’s hard man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.

Oddly, in June 1973 an advertisement for the movie in “The Los Angeles Times” highlighted a modified version of the saying with “tough” instead of “hard”: 3

“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.
I’m not so stupid that I’m gonna drive this car into the woods for two other guys with machine guns who know I’ve got money. Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid!’
– One of the friends of Eddie Coyle