Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dont eat the bait

Anybody use painted tins?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Just a teeny clarification - tins are made of tin...those chromed over lead things are jigs wink.gif

The reason I mention that is painting real tin is like putting a baggy sweater on a super model smile.gif Tin's natural beauty and luster is what makes it so magic...cover it up and you might as well use chromed over lead jigs smile.gif

TimS

Started using tins again this past year off Race Pt. Was given a box of 'granpa's old fishing junk' from a friend. Full of old tins, eel squids and other hardware. Some were painted red or red/white on one side. Some I just cleaned with some windex and thru them in the beach box. Pleasently surprised at their success. Bass and blues.

Yes, Tim you are right. I used the term "tin" to describe chromed metal lures (Kastmaster, Hopkins etc). For the record I would never paint a real tin, as they are far more usefull unpainted. There is something about them (assume the low luster) that makes them work better than chrome plated lures sometimes.

Pete

Sorry about that...I wasn't trying to correct your or bust yer chops redface.gif It was more of a general type of clarification since it's very common these days for folks to call chromed lead lures as "tins" smile.gif Not that there's anything wrong with that wink.gif

TimS

I have some hopkins and kastmasters painted white and black, but i only use them in a few places, the painted spoons/jigs/tins (whatever ya like to call them smile.gif ) by megabait and yozuri seem to be gaining in popularity though.

I've powder coated some black AVA's, put a little bucktail on the tail hook, and some eyes. As Tim said, it's more of a "jig", but I've found it to be very good when the sand eels are around... wink.gif

I've powder coated some black AVA's, put a little bucktail on the tail hook,

smile.gif I have done the same exact thing...the same exact color icon14.gif

It's true...great minds think alike wink.gif

TimS

graves.jpg

I'd cry if I ever lost this tin, haven't seen them around much. Caught tons of fish on it. I believe it may be a charlie grave tin and if ya tried to paint it I'd have to break yer paintbrush. biggrin.gif