FrancisSea96

New winter species

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’m looking to target some new species this winter, I see that white perch are pretty popular and I’ve never fished for them. I have heard blackfish are a good fight too. Looking for any tips to hopefully get me hooked up.

White perch, blackfish, ling, cod; all popular options. 

Cod fishing will be better if you take a ride to NY or RI, but NJ head boats do catch a few while blackfishing this time of year.

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Ling's about the only one of those i haven't caught. Oh and stargazers. :hooked:

That’s funny because the only one I have caught is the ling. I caught a couple early fall while sea bass fishing.

I have also landed a stargazer once it was a long time ago and I had no idea what it was, later found out about the whole tazer on its forehead deal. 

I've been catching Stargazers forever now by accident. Drag a gulp on the bottom in the surf and you'll get one eventually. They bury themselves as soon as you hook them and you have to yank them out lol. I caught a huge one on a plug years back in AC. Had a guy come up to ma and ask if I was keeping it. I told him he could have it if he got it off for me and I handed him my pliers :laugh:  He took it off and carried it away. They must taste pretty good

5 hours ago, ridenfish said:

I've been catching Stargazers forever now by accident. Drag a gulp on the bottom in the surf and you'll get one eventually. They bury themselves as soon as you hook them and you have to yank them out lol. I caught a huge one on a plug years back in AC. Had a guy come up to ma and ask if I was keeping it. I told him he could have it if he got it off for me and I handed him my pliers :laugh:  He took it off and carried it away. They must taste pretty good

Ive been told best eating fish in our waters