strike master

Locating Winter Bluegill

8 posts in this topic

I need some tips for locating/catching cold water bluegill, I have been fishing by the dam of my favorite blue gill lake

with a sabiki rig tipped with worms without any bites. I have been fishing it still and imparting a little action, I usually catch a lot

of big bluegill by the dam suspending a small jig below a float in the summer. I would imagine the fish would be by the dam which

is the deepest part of the lake, the lake  has a light current since it connects to a river.

I'm thinking about trying a slip bobber with a ice fishing jig so I could cover more water. This lake is in NJ so the water is cold.

I generally fish a trout magnet on a slip bottom suspended halfway down the water column and adjust as needed to locate the depth of fish. Hard to do from shore easy to do from boat.

DG

Slip float with about 18 inches below it.  #8/#6 hook w a waxie on it.. if I don't have a fish in 3 minutes I adjust the leader for a little more depth... It's a guarantee at my local lake.. 

I'll go for trout all afternoon sometimes with no success.  just to avoid the skunk I'll Target some gills on the way back to the car and they have yet to let me down..

This works for me all winter long.  Even if there's some ice on spots across the lake.  

12 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

Slip float with about 18 inches below it.  #8/#6 hook w a waxie on it.. if I don't have a fish in 3 minutes I adjust the leader for a little more depth... It's a guarantee at my local lake.. 

I'll go for trout all afternoon sometimes with no success.  just to avoid the skunk I'll Target some gills on the way back to the car and they have yet to let me down..

This works for me all winter long.  Even if there's some ice on spots across the lake.  

Great idea, that wax worm would be slowly sinking without the weight which looks natural. I could see a small night crawler wacky rigged working as well.

I'll try that choggieman.