bart1

Deep water fluke set up

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Looking for suggestions for a deep water fluke setup. I do lots of fluking the bays with ultralight setups but looking to take more trips to MTK and Nantucket shoals. 

I don’t like real beefy setups so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions. I heard jigging world has some nice rods but have no idea which ones to research. 

Thanks and tight lines!!

Black Demon, or so I've heard.  BH Challenger Banks rods got discussed in this context, awhile ago. Lots of stuff in a thread about deep water fluke in this Forum, you should be able to find it with "Search." 

Played around with the blackhole challenger and challenger nano at striper day. INCREDIBLE rods. The nano was ridiculous. My next fluke rod will be built on the 701L, acid wrapped. Oh baby.

I can recommend the black demon as a good rod for Nantucket. Easily handles 6-24 oz with sensitivity and more than adequate backbone. Chicken rigs with sinker. 

For under 6 oz you can use a standard inshore MH jigging stick. Use what you’re comfortable with. Lots of options. 

18 hours ago, bart1 said:

Looking for suggestions for a deep water fluke setup. I do lots of fluking the bays with ultralight setups but looking to take more trips to MTK and Nantucket shoals. 

I don’t like real beefy setups so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions. I heard jigging world has some nice rods but have no idea which ones to research. 

Thanks and tight lines!!

I think what you need for fluking montauk and the shoals are two different rods. The shoals being a much heavier rod.  

hard to go wrong with the jigging worlds rods for either. 

last year couple guys got the UC 79 and 80 , i just finished a shogun that is going to be nice, had a couple guys using the XC734 RGeek, i have the black demon but havent wrapped it yet, it does have balls. sold alot of seigler SGN for use up there, 

12 mins ago, nfd27 said:

BH Challenger 731 M should do exactly what you want. Matched with either a Saltiga 15 or Trinidad 14 I don't think it can be beat. 

$1,000 fluke rig...nice.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

For partyboat fishing, my preferred rod length would be 7 1/2 to 8 feet. I don't think the Black Demon rods are that long; must go see.

They are , :)

9D73BEA0-E480-4F80-A30A-1409983BD533.jpeg

3 hours ago, Cpalms said:

$1,000 fluke rig...nice.

I guess some guys like going all out on Fluke . I got the 701L which is about $60 cheaper with a Saltiga 15L for under $600. Can pick the Trini up second hand for right about $300 and the BH at one of the shows for a discounted price. Probably sub $700 that'll handle the extreme of the shoals and anything else you throw at it. 

O-Kay, Captain .... it's fluke related, so it isn't far afield from a fluke rod thread. But if by chance this is advertising, talk to TimS about ad space. OK?  It looks ad-like. It gets a pass from  me, this once.

It's been known to happen.

14 hours ago, BrianBM said:

O-Kay, Captain .... it's fluke related, so it isn't far afield from a fluke rod thread. But if by chance this is advertising, talk to TimS about ad space. OK?  It looks ad-like. It gets a pass from  me, this once.

It's been known to happen.

It’s 100% an advertisement, he didn’t just ‘try’ the stuff, he works for the company :)

TimS