Mr. Sophistication

Using bananas as bait

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Thought you guys suffering from the winter blues could use a laugh. I'm thinking of maybe using the peel to make squid skirts to troll with. Egg sinker inside + a piece of wire, hook crimped to the end. I bet it would work for dolphin. I'm going to try it one of these days.

I wonder if he cheated and soaked them in fish oil or something. He must have chummed like crazy.

Skip to 4:00 if you just want to see the banana footage.  

As a hip-height nipper, a couple times each summer I'd get to go fishing with Grampa on a party boat out of Captree.

Obviously, he would out-catch me 10-1 and I would get to complaining, saying he was using the best worms or clams.

He'd laugh and say that wasn't it, and to prove his point he'd bait up with some of his lunch. 

Here's, as they say, the rest of the story.

All he ever packed for his lunch was  a hard boiled egg, a butter sandwich and big dill pickle, and I saw him catch on all three. 

That’s great.  Show me a captain that blames his Lack of  success on someone bringing a banana aboard and I’ll show you a captain that doesn’t know what he’s doing ;) 

I’m always blown away by how hard those little footballs pull. First time I caught one, I swore it was fifty pound FL something. They have to be up there for fight per pound.

I’ve seen amberjack so fired up following up hooked fish over deep reefs that they’ll hit anything that touches the water. That’s when you toss em poppers and watch 60+lb tanks crush it and run...I have no doubt that they’d hit a banana with a big hook on it. As said before, good luck getting it rigged up without getting thrown in by the captain, though!

13 mins ago, Jason B said:

I’m always blown away by how hard those little footballs pull. First time I caught one, I swore it was fifty pound FL something. They have to be up there for fight per pound.

Yeah, they fight super hard for their size. I love snapper fishing. Unbelievable eating too.

9 mins ago, fightingfish said:

I’ve seen amberjack so fired up following up hooked fish over deep reefs that they’ll hit anything that touches the water. That’s when you toss em poppers and watch 60+lb tanks crush it and run...I have no doubt that they’d hit a banana with a big hook on it. As said before, good luck getting it rigged up without getting thrown in by the captain, though!

I once dangled a bare silver hook in front of a cuda and it hammered it.