NewestGuyOnStripersOnline

Gents! How's this for a starter lure set?

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Sure, they'll work all over and and the 5 oz is the way to go in the canal but as this is a generic surf thread, not a ditch thread I'll shy away from recommending a 5 oz savage.

then can we agree on a nice floating 1 oz  red or blue head cordell or a 1 1/12 - 2  oz bottle neck to walk the doggy with..in a nice yellow or white say...and SB1 whats your opinion on the Al  gags stuff..im nota fan of the way the big rubber shad jig swims on a slow to med retrieve..and  what would your fav rubber shad jigs be..and just for poops and giggles when u do a little surf fishing this year give the big savage a try f u happen to have a nice sandbar to hit..might surprise you..especially if mr . flukes swimming around.. they  dont get lost and tumbled in the white water like the smaller ones do.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

then can we agree on a nice floating 1 oz  red or blue head cordell or a 1 1/12 - 2  oz bottle neck to walk the doggy with..in a nice yellow or white say...and SB1 whats your opinion on the Al  gags stuff..im nota fan of the way the big rubber shad jig swims on a slow to med retrieve..and  what would your fav rubber shad jigs be..and just for poops and giggles when u do a little surf fishing this year give the big savage a try f u happen to have a nice sandbar to hit..might surprise you..especially if mr . flukes swimming around.. they  dont get lost and tumbled in the white water like the smaller ones do.. 

I'm a big fan of the Al Gags whip it eel, specifically in red, fished deep in the canal. As for the whip it fish (shad) I like the larger profile body but same as the savage I mount them on a different jig head. I dont trust the hooks on each, especially the savage. I haven't experienced an issue swimming them  but I also  almost exclusively deep jig them. I do like the heavy Tsunami deep drop shad when a larger profile is necessary as well. As for fishing the savage, I'll give the heavier one a go if the conditions seem right. I'm always one for trying something new.

Edited by Sandbar1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I'm a big fan of the Al Gags whip it eel, specifically in red, fished deep in the canal. As for the whip it fish (shad) I like the larger profile body but same as the savage I mount them on a different jig head. I dont trust the hooks on each, especially the savage. I haven't experienced an issue swimming them  but I also  almost exclusively deep jig them. I do like the heavy Tsunami deep drop shad when a larger profile is necessary as well. As for fishing the savage, I'll give the heavier one a go if the conditions seem right. I'm always one for trying something new.

ty sir good solid feedback as usual ..i agree ive broke a couple hooks on good fish in the ditch using the savage..even complained enough to get few freebies in return.. i just havent found a good jig head that works as well as theres..for me anyway...ill give the tsunami a shot this year(pogey color??) same here always looking for a new goody for the bag..thnks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, willcodfish said:

ty sir good solid feedback as usual ..i agree ive broke a couple hooks on good fish in the ditch using the savage..even complained enough to get few freebies in return.. i just havent found a good jig head that works as well as theres..for me anyway...ill give the tsunami a shot this year(pogey color??) same here always looking for a new goody for the bag..thnks again

I've been using these basic, bulleted jigheads (3-6oz) available in most shops around the ditch for a few years now. They're cheap and have incredibly strong hooks.

Pogey and white both work well for me.20180611_223617.jpg.e0232c9c770396f2c2a2995abd1db407.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

I've been using these basic, bulleted jigheads (3-6oz) available in most shops around the ditch for a few years now. They're cheap and have incredibly strong hooks.

Pogey and white both work well for me.20180611_223617.jpg.e0232c9c770396f2c2a2995abd1db407.jpg

Nothing like a good hook:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

ty sir good solid feedback as usual ..i agree ive broke a couple hooks on good fish in the ditch using the savage..even complained enough to get few freebies in return.. i just havent found a good jig head that works as well as theres..for me anyway...ill give the tsunami a shot this year(pogey color??) same here always looking for a new goody for the bag..thnks again

When your savage hooks failed did they bend or actually break? I've bent out several brands and styles of hooks but the savage baits have the only hook that I've seen physically snap (on more than one occasion).

My only assumption is that they either experienced quality control issues or simply used an inferior metal or hook creation process.

I don't know if hook failures with savage are still a problem because I quit using the heads entirely and began mounting the bodies on third party heads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

When your savage hooks failed did they bend or actually break? I've bent out several brands and styles of hooks but the savage baits have the only hook that I've seen physically snap (on more than one occasion).

My only assumption is that they either experienced quality control issues or simply used an inferior metal or hook creation process.

I don't know if hook failures with savage are still a problem because I quit using the heads entirely and began mounting the bodies on third party heads.

I have only seen them bend

82a60284_1000x1000px-LL-6614ffcb_darr.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive broken 2 so far both on solid fish ..they were however good enough to replace them with 3 new packs.. took a little bit of complaining but nothing more than a few emails..ill give those u posted a shot this year SB1..def give the red a shot ..thanks for the tips..always appreciated

IMG_20180817_102659 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

When your savage hooks failed did they bend or actually break? I've bent out several brands and styles of hooks but the savage baits have the only hook that I've seen physically snap (on more than one occasion).

My only assumption is that they either experienced quality control issues or simply used an inferior metal or hook creation process.

I don't know if hook failures with savage are still a problem because I quit using the heads entirely and began mounting the bodies on third party heads.

i figure its that high quality chinese metal..lol..too bad they work so damn well...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, willcodfish said:

ive broken 2 so far both on solid fish ..they were however good enough to replace them with 3 new packs.. took a little bit of complaining but nothing more than a few emails..ill give those u posted a shot this year SB1..def give the red a shot ..thanks for the tips..always appreciated

IMG_20180817_102659 (1).jpg

That's exactly the style of break I've experienced. Same placement in the hook bend and everything. It's good to hear that in the end savage honored this and replaced the defective product.

As you mentioned they work incredibnly well, but I give that far more credit to the body profile and action than the head of the bait. I've never noticed any difference in strike ratio between the savage rigged on the actual head's and those rigged on other similarly weighed jigheads. If you do have any concerns with hook failure on the savage simply switch out to better heads/hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

ive broken 2 so far both on solid fish ..they were however good enough to replace them with 3 new packs.. took a little bit of complaining but nothing more than a few emails..ill give those u posted a shot this year SB1..def give the red a shot ..thanks for the tips..always appreciated

IMG_20180817_102659 (1).jpg

Yiks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

i'll def.give those bullet heads a shot.see if theres any difference..just one little example on why i like to use them tho..lol.  and...yes she swam away everyone..thanks again SB1

IMG_20190620_110601 (1).jpg

Really solid fish and yeah those savages sure do catch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, willcodfish said:

ty sir..appreciate the advice also and im looking forward to trying the bullet heads

The bullet heads with the Mustad hook have become the standard in the Canal, Just my two cents:):) what say you???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.