NewestGuyOnStripersOnline

Gents! How's this for a starter lure set?

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fishing LBI I would get Sp Minnow,Spook,Pencil,Soft Plastic Swimbaits,Hopkins,Deadly Dick,Ava,Teaser and a Bucktail to start.Honestly fishing LBI witch I frequently do I rarely "Need" anything els but after catching fish with these lures youll find your own style and add to it.

Edited by JerseyMike609

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

Fishing LBI I would get Sp Minnow,Spook,Pencil,Soft Plastic Swimbaits,Hopkins,Deadly Dick,Ava,Teaser and a Bucktail to start.Honestly fishing LBI witch I frequently do I rarely "Need" anything els but after catching fish with these lures youll find your own style and add to it.

Good stuff:):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my list [not in order]:

 

Metals/Tins - A17 & A27 w/ Tubes, Hopkins and Deadly Dicks

Jig Heads - 3/4 up to -2oz w/ soft plastics(I like paddle-tails)

Bucktails - Andrus Rip-splitter or Smiling Bills (best for surf w/ eye upfront-- not jigging bucktails where eye is in middle of jig)

SS Little Neck Popper

Pencil Poppers - Gibbs / Tsunami 

SS Darter & Super N Fish

SP Minnow

Yo-Zuri Mags

Spook/Walk-the-Dog style plug

 

Also my 2 cents, once you start you cant stop. Good luck!! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, willcodfish said:

gotta be that guy but..5 oz. savage sand eel green mack , glow white or watermelon...def..a must

Respectfully have to disagree here. This is such a niche bait that I wouldn't include it in this particular list. Basically a 5 oz savage is only realistically fishable in a location like the canal or a breach way with equivalent water flow. It requires a much heavier rod to throw and is designed for conditions other than "normal" surfcasting.

Now the smaller sized savages would be good choices if A. they were cheaper and B. They came with better hooks.

I'd rather have a handful of productive soft plastics, swimbait hooks, and some good quality jigheads  between .5 and 2oz to cover general surf fishing conditions.

Edited by Sandbar1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 8:05 AM, RyanJ_88 said:

Here's my list [not in order]:

 

Metals/Tins - A17 & A27 w/ Tubes, Hopkins and Deadly Dicks

Jig Heads - 3/4 up to -2oz w/ soft plastics(I like paddle-tails)

Bucktails - Andrus Rip-splitter or Smiling Bills (best for surf w/ eye upfront-- not jigging bucktails where eye is in middle of jig)

SS Little Neck Popper

Pencil Poppers - Gibbs / Tsunami 

SS Darter & Super N Fish

SP Minnow

Yo-Zuri Mags

Spook/Walk-the-Dog style plug

 

Also my 2 cents, once you start you cant stop. Good luck!! 

 

 

This Zara Spook is 8 inches and wood, what do ya think??

2020stripe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Respectfully have to disagree here. This is such a niche bait that I wouldn't include it in this particular list. Basically a 5 oz savage is only realistically fishable in a location like the canal or a breach way with equivalent water flow. It requires a much heavier rod to throw and is designed for conditions other than "normal" surfcasting.

Now the smaller sized savages would be good choices if A. they were cheaper and B. They came with better hooks.

I'd rather have a handful of productive soft plastics, swimbait hooks, and some good quality jigheads  between .5 and 2oz to cover general surf fishing conditions.

gotta disagree sandy dandy i fishem from newport to the cape,rivers,the canal, rocks, beaches, jettys and have had good luck all over ...i do agree a few different sizes def b good idea..but if its the ditch 5 oz way to go for me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

isnt t funny how WE all have our favorites..this ones better than that one but yet we all catch fish,(for the most part)lol...some will swear buck tails others top water..still think comes down to the fisherman as opposed to lures and bait..oh ya and a crap load of luck doesnt hurt either..lol..basically pick your poison till u find one that works for u..have a couple sizes of jigs, top waters,and few different depth swimmers..start there and when u find something that works for your style of fishing ,open up the wallet and load up on that particular lure..colors sizes ect..good luck this year kiddies tight lines and safe trips out...2 more months and its on like donkey kong!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, codfish said:

This Zara Spook is 8 inches and wood, what do ya think??

2020stripe.jpg

Zara or the normal Heddon Super Spook XT will be a killer for sure. Twitch it slow, pause, then twitch it fast then pause and wait for the blow up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, willcodfish said:

gotta disagree sandy dandy i fishem from newport to the cape,rivers,the canal, rocks, beaches, jettys and have had good luck all over ...i do agree a few different sizes def b good idea..but if its the ditch 5 oz way to go for me 

Sure, they'll work all over and and the 5 oz is the way to go in the canal but as this is a generic surf thread, not a ditch thread I'll shy away from recommending a 5 oz savage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.