NewestGuyOnStripersOnline

Gents! How's this for a starter lure set?

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Add 1.5oz jigs to your setup.  

Also, no otter tails for those jigs...…….. 

Do not disregard the effectiveness of teasers.   You can use siwash hook and tie your own.  Or buy small plastics.  Green/white worms look like small sand eels, great for late season.  Mid fall I like the lunker city Fin S is 3inch, usually bubblegum for anchovie imitation in poor water clarity, or the alewive in clearer water.   Middle of summer, fluke's an option as a by catch...   Green Berkley gulp 3 inch grubs are my choice....

I carry both quality bucktails and a few cheapie ones.  sometimes those bad snag spots are on fire...….

Do forget leader material and swivels.  I also use superglue on my knots.

Edited by salt deficient

ditch the spro Bucktails and get some lead from Dan the tin man here on SOL. The eye is oriented to the front of the bucktail which helps when fishing from shore as compared to the eye in the spro that is in the middle. Not only are they cheaper if I'm not mistaken but the quality is legit. Food for thought

1 min ago, captahab416 said:

ditch the spro Bucktails and get some lead from Dan the tin man here on SOL. The eye is oriented to the front of the bucktail which helps when fishing from shore as compared to the eye in the spro that is in the middle. Not only are they cheaper if I'm not mistaken but the quality is legit. Food for thought

100% agree, spro's are great for targeting bottom fish but the last bucktails I'd want in the surf. Tin man also uses better quality hooks than the spro bucktails.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:33 PM, gorkmonster said:

I'd start by buying a handful of bucktails.  They are the most versatile lure out there.  They can be thrown all season, don't take up much space, and can be swam at any depth at any speed.  If you want to catch big fish then don't be afraid of bulk, and dont be afraid to run big trailers.  I've found that even rats will hit a 12" articulated bucktail. I also like 6-8" white grubs or otter tail eel tails in white.  Bucktails also do the least damage to fish. They'll also be more resiliant to bluefish than strait up soft plastics. I do most of my fishing with bucktails around 1 oz.  You should also look into making or buy an egg float.  You can fish a big bucktail off a float and get it in the same zone as an sp minnow, stick shad or whatever.  I wouldnt go crazy on plugs yet.  They all catch, but they wont teach you as much as fishing a bucktail will.  Just my 2 cents.

Very good advice.  Bucktails are a gold standard for decades. When you are around rocks...and fishing inlets in current with rocks...you will get frustrated. Don't give up. You. Cast up-current, let it drift with the current as it sinks...it needs to hit bottom and then you try to keep it just off the bottom... depending on the current, zero to full bore, you could be using 1 ounce all the way up to 4-5 ounce. So you need a good range. 3/4 to 1 1/2 will suffice on most beaches though.

It takes time to be able to keep the BT in the bottom zone without hanging up all the time.  If you concentrate on BT in inlets you could lose a half dozen BT easily in one tide at first.

So....tie your own! It's fun. Buy painted jig heads from TinMan here, get a bucktail or two...white....get some good strong thread, like GelSpun UltraThread or rod wrapping thread, a good ceramic tip bobbin, some Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" clear nail polish and a cheap cheap fly vise off eBay. (Ten bucks....twenty max) 

AND....get some saltwater fly hooks at Walmart and tie your own teasers as well!  These are REAL cheap to tie...same stuff as above plus you need some "saddle hackle" feathers... white and black. For both BT and the teasers, I like to add a couple threads of Krystal Flash..pearl or the yellowish color. One pack will probably last you half your life. Adds the extra bit of sparkle attraction.  (Cue Dustin Hoffman....."sparkley, definitely very sparkely)

Use teasers with almost everything at night if there's no weed in the water. You will be surprised at how many times the 25 cent teaser will catch and the $15 plug will not.

PM me if you'd like a small starter pack of used plugs for short money.

Also.... somebody once said if you are starting out,  have the discipline to use JUST use bucktails for an entire season. You WILL learn that bucktails CATCH. 

Maybe that is a tad extreme but it's VERY VERY easy to feel like plug X is not working and somehow the solution must be plug Y or Z that the guys were talking about.... or a different color or size.  You can go crazy and go broke chasing this and never learning to use ONE plug well.

Ok, made a lot of changes. I keep getting caught up on color, which is in my understanding the least important consideration. Here's my thoughts (leaving metal out):

Super Strike PP5W Little Neck Popper - Sinking - Bone

White to be visible (to me) during the day and for the fish to see natural white underbelly. I don't think I'll be using this one at night often.

Super Strike DS6W Little Neck Swimmer Floating Lure 013-All Neon Yellow

Chartreuse-ish color. My understanding is these work best in rips, usually more sediment in that water so the green may be helpful in this case. Probably more of a day lure.

Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow - 6in Floating - Bone

The most suggested size and color for this lure. Probably a day lure for me.

Yo-Zuri R1144 Mag Darter Lure BP Black/Purple

Covers the same area of the water column as the SP, might as well get this one in black so I can use it at night, or switch things up if the SP isn't catching during the day 

Super Strike ZZ6W Zig Zag Floating Lure 022-All Black

My thought is fast current at night beachwide (I'll be less likely to find rips at night)

Andrus AJC1 Bucktail Jetty Caster Lure AJCW1 White/Chartruse 

Multiple sizes. Is it better to get white/green to cover both? or just commit to White.

Super Strike NF7W Super "N" Fish Sinking Lure - Size 008

No idea on color for this one. Or if I'll get it at all.

4 hours ago, NewestGuyOnStripersOnline said:

Ok, made a lot of changes. I keep getting caught up on color, which is in my understanding the least important consideration. Here's my thoughts (leaving metal out):

Super Strike PP5W Little Neck Popper - Sinking - Bone

White to be visible (to me) during the day and for the fish to see natural white underbelly. I don't think I'll be using this one at night often.

Super Strike DS6W Little Neck Swimmer Floating Lure 013-All Neon Yellow

Chartreuse-ish color. My understanding is these work best in rips, usually more sediment in that water so the green may be helpful in this case. Probably more of a day lure.

Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow - 6in Floating - Bone

The most suggested size and color for this lure. Probably a day lure for me.

Yo-Zuri R1144 Mag Darter Lure BP Black/Purple

Covers the same area of the water column as the SP, might as well get this one in black so I can use it at night, or switch things up if the SP isn't catching during the day 

Super Strike ZZ6W Zig Zag Floating Lure 022-All Black

My thought is fast current at night beachwide (I'll be less likely to find rips at night)

Andrus AJC1 Bucktail Jetty Caster Lure AJCW1 White/Chartruse 

Multiple sizes. Is it better to get white/green to cover both? or just commit to White.

Super Strike NF7W Super "N" Fish Sinking Lure - Size 008

No idea on color for this one. Or if I'll get it at all.

Looks good to me, if I was you i'd plan to eventually get an both an SP and a Mag darter in both Bone and Black/Purple to stay versatile.

I'd start with a all yellow Zig Zag and then get a black one. 

Id also get either a yellow or green/sandeel needle (Super "N" Fish)

1 hour ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

only to a humans eye

Absolutely, I was only joking, I've never seen a fish care. Though I would normally want the lighter coloration of a two tone bait to be on the bottom.