NewestGuyOnStripersOnline

Gents! How's this for a starter lure set?

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2020 at 9:42 AM, NewestGuyOnStripersOnline said:

OK, I've been lurking here just reading for months. Incredible education on so many topics. Still have a lot of reading to do.

I've been surfcasting exclusively since I was a kid, never really cared about it, just something I did to spend time with my dad. Bait only. Simplest rigs made. Never caught ****.

A few years ago he bought me a rod which I took to the beach on my own and caught some unremarkable fish, didn't matter, something in my brain 'broke'. Since then I've read a few books (multiple times, still want a few as well) and read various forums non-stop until I found this one and ditched them all. I'm fishing whenever I have the opportunity - almost always LBI or Destin FL, will soon be adding Delaware to the rotation. I've caught some great stuff, really large Pompano, 38" Redfish, Stripers, Blues, I love it. 

Most of that has been on bait though - I want to start with lures. 

I'm fighting my instincts to be a gear nerd as hard as I can. Want just a FEW lures to make as versatile of a kit as I can. I do like the idea of getting one and mastering it, but as I've ever used any I don't even know what type that would be, this at least leaves my options open to find what I like and zero in. Or maybe I'll just learn them all - I don't know. 

Here's what I'm thinking:

Yo-Zuri R1216 Mag Darter Lures - 6-1/2 in. Ghost Black

Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow - 6-3/4in Floating - Bone

Super Strike PP5W Little Neck Popper - Sinking - 033-Red Head/White

Super Strike NF7W Super "N" Fish Sinking Lure - Size 008-All Yellow

Spro Power Bucktail - White in 1, 2, 3 oz

Looking to cover the entire water column day and night, all weather conditions.

What should I toss or add?

I'd start by buying a handful of bucktails.  They are the most versatile lure out there.  They can be thrown all season, don't take up much space, and can be swam at any depth at any speed.  If you want to catch big fish then don't be afraid of bulk, and dont be afraid to run big trailers.  I've found that even rats will hit a 12" articulated bucktail. I also like 6-8" white grubs or otter tail eel tails in white.  Bucktails also do the least damage to fish. They'll also be more resiliant to bluefish than strait up soft plastics. I do most of my fishing with bucktails around 1 oz.  You should also look into making or buy an egg float.  You can fish a big bucktail off a float and get it in the same zone as an sp minnow, stick shad or whatever.  I wouldnt go crazy on plugs yet.  They all catch, but they wont teach you as much as fishing a bucktail will.  Just my 2 cents.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:42 AM, NewestGuyOnStripersOnline said:

OK, I've been lurking here just reading for months. Incredible education on so many topics. Still have a lot of reading to do.

I've been surfcasting exclusively since I was a kid, never really cared about it, just something I did to spend time with my dad. Bait only. Simplest rigs made. Never caught ****.

A few years ago he bought me a rod which I took to the beach on my own and caught some unremarkable fish, didn't matter, something in my brain 'broke'. Since then I've read a few books (multiple times, still want a few as well) and read various forums non-stop until I found this one and ditched them all. I'm fishing whenever I have the opportunity - almost always LBI or Destin FL, will soon be adding Delaware to the rotation. I've caught some great stuff, really large Pompano, 38" Redfish, Stripers, Blues, I love it. 

Most of that has been on bait though - I want to start with lures. 

I'm fighting my instincts to be a gear nerd as hard as I can. Want just a FEW lures to make as versatile of a kit as I can. I do like the idea of getting one and mastering it, but as I've ever used any I don't even know what type that would be, this at least leaves my options open to find what I like and zero in. Or maybe I'll just learn them all - I don't know. 

Here's what I'm thinking:

Yo-Zuri R1216 Mag Darter Lures - 6-1/2 in. Ghost Black

Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow - 6-3/4in Floating - Bone

Super Strike PP5W Little Neck Popper - Sinking - 033-Red Head/White

Super Strike NF7W Super "N" Fish Sinking Lure - Size 008-All Yellow

Spro Power Bucktail - White in 1, 2, 3 oz

Looking to cover the entire water column day and night, all weather conditions.

What should I toss or add?

All good stuff:) tight lines

2 hours ago, outfished1957 said:

Make it 5 inch mag darter and 15F sp instead of the big ones.

x2.  I agree.  the 5" mag darter and the 15F SP are the best for me.  The weight and action are excellent for calm to light wind/current. 

I agree with above.  Go with the 15F SP minnow. 

I will absolutely never leave home without a pack of 4" and 5" white Tsunami swim shads.  Although not popular in the northeast, I always carry a chrome gotcha plug and a spec rig especially in the summer.

11 hours ago, wingsandwater said:

I agree with above.  Go with the 15F SP minnow. 

I will absolutely never leave home without a pack of 4" and 5" white Tsunami swim shads.  Although not popular in the northeast, I always carry a chrome gotcha plug and a spec rig especially in the summer.

"chrome gotcha plug" Will have to look this up:)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok, I'll make the change in regards to the sizing. 

What about the SS Needlefish? Floating or sinking?

Also, I'll definitely be concentrating on bucktails. Bought the John Skinner book, got some reading to do.

Edited by NewestGuyOnStripersOnline
add some stuff.

42 mins ago, NewestGuyOnStripersOnline said:

Ok, I'll make the change in regards to the sizing. 

What about the SS Needlefish? Floating or sinking?

Also, I'll definitely be concentrating on bucktails. Bought the John Skinner book, got some reading to do.

Good read:)

2oz diamond with a white or green tube and a Cordell pencil. I've had a lot of luck with the chrome ones.

Also if you want to spend a little more on a good plug-the scabelly gliders are really nice and work well on a slow retrieve. But sp minnows worked best for me this year. Also soft paddle tails work great as well like swim shads

Learn to rig an eel. Carry a pouch with a handful of rigged eels, a few bucktails and a couple of plugs. Fish em slow at night.