Gents! How's this for a starter lure set?

Rate this topic

NewestGuyOnStripersOnline

OK, I've been lurking here just reading for months. Incredible education on so many topics. Still have a lot of reading to do.

I've been surfcasting exclusively since I was a kid, never really cared about it, just something I did to spend time with my dad. Bait only. Simplest rigs made. Never caught ****.

A few years ago he bought me a rod which I took to the beach on my own and caught some unremarkable fish, didn't matter, something in my brain 'broke'. Since then I've read a few books (multiple times, still want a few as well) and read various forums non-stop until I found this one and ditched them all. I'm fishing whenever I have the opportunity - almost always LBI or Destin FL, will soon be adding Delaware to the rotation. I've caught some great stuff, really large Pompano, 38" Redfish, Stripers, Blues, I love it. 

Most of that has been on bait though - I want to start with lures. 

I'm fighting my instincts to be a gear nerd as hard as I can. Want just a FEW lures to make as versatile of a kit as I can. I do like the idea of getting one and mastering it, but as I've ever used any I don't even know what type that would be, this at least leaves my options open to find what I like and zero in. Or maybe I'll just learn them all - I don't know. 

Here's what I'm thinking:

Yo-Zuri R1216 Mag Darter Lures - 6-1/2 in. Ghost Black

Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow - 6-3/4in Floating - Bone

Super Strike PP5W Little Neck Popper - Sinking - 033-Red Head/White

Super Strike NF7W Super "N" Fish Sinking Lure - Size 008-All Yellow

Spro Power Bucktail - White in 1, 2, 3 oz

Looking to cover the entire water column day and night, all weather conditions.

What should I toss or add?

Edited by TimS
links removed - the descriptions are sufficient :-)

If i was you i would go to one of the upcoming flea markets and pick up a couple old pencils. The blues were hard to find last year but they were out back in the barneget bay.  I have a feeling this warm winter will bring them back. I wouldn't invest in new stuff but if you could get an old gibs and maybe some other pencils that will have you prepared. I would also remove the belly hook. 

Don't leave out the smaller mag darter, sp minnow, (also the Yo zuri hydro. ) 

The larger profiles catch...but keep in mind..the smaller variants came first....well ahead of the larger sizes....and are what made them staples for such a long time

Also a cordell redfin...A MUST have  (replace rings and hooks)

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

Find a list of the upcoming fishing flea markets.  There's usually a vendor or two with some of what you bought at discounted prices.  Last week I hit one at Lacey High School.  I saw SP's in all colors for $7.50, YoZuri Mag Darters and Hrydro Minnows for $10, Crystal Minnows for $7.  You can load up on fish catching plugs and save some bucks.  NJBBA is this coming weekend.  I'll bet the same vendors from last weeks show will be at this one too. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

sp minnow, sp minnow and one more sp minnow. slow sinking, floating, 6in, 5in every color. thank me later

"In every species of fish I've angled for, it is the ones that have got away that thrill me the most, the ones that keep fresh in my memory. So I say it is good to lose fish. If we didn't, much of the thrill of angling would be gone." - RB