nfnDrum

So who is making the best casting reel these days?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

So life is getting back on track and i'm replace gear sold off ... I had a 525mag that I regret selling, then i bought a Squal12 becasue i wanted a thin spool still kinfd of like thin spools. Sold it because it never got used .. . Whos making the best reel now? 

You're talking conventional only?

Initial report on the Fathom II with the DCS sound favorable. I haven't handled one. People speak well of the Siegler Surf, and there's one poster who fishes the CCC with plugs with it; but it was made for heavier loads, 3-16 oz., than I have reason to fish. 

I have a Saltiga 35H that I will try with bait, this coming season. An earlier generation of Saltigas included a 30 tweaked for surf use, but AFAIK the current generation doesn't have one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

talk about out of the loop i would never had guessed a Fathom II, So its a Chinese version of the Penn TRQ12

Edited by nfnDrum

Why not put up a WTB for 525 mag in the BST . They show up there every now and again. Still a great distance reel.

17 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

talk about out of the loop i would never had guessed a Fathom II, So its a Chinese version of the Penn TRQ12

I have not used the Fathom ll, just the 1st Gen Fathoms. They have an incredible free spool right out of the box that only gets better with some tuning.

They are basically Torques without a machined frame.

I usually uses 12 foot rods and used abu 6600,7000,an old pflueger, a couple old penn s,Diawa Saltist 20/30 ,sea line s h v 20/30,grand wave 20/30 and all cast extremely well for what they are but the Diawa 700ht, is a howitzer .numerous days on the beach throwing a 4 ounce hi lo rig with some gulp ,some tin, a couple of surface poppers with different wind directions and not to many back lashes ,great distance no one was casting further than I was ,not bragging,and catching some fish.can't believe the performance of the 700 h t .their are two models the one I have is least expensive and it does have the centrifuge brake not centrifugal beads.didn't use braid  just mono threaded thru a 15ft piece of 50lb hollow core braid.

Edited by Surf bomber

On 1/23/2020 at 9:24 PM, connman said:

Why not put up a WTB for 525 mag in the BST . They show up there every now and again. Still a great distance reel.

that's an option, but at the moment my brain is fixated on the narrower size 12 spool

Matt, I’ll always vote for the old reliable Abu 6500CS mag for round reels. For lo pros the Daiwa Lexas are sweet too. I have both if you want to cast them. Hope to yak fish the Hudson with you this spring.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Matt, I’ll always vote for the old reliable Abu 6500CS mag for round reels. For lo pros the Daiwa Lexas are sweet too. I have both if you want to cast them. Hope to yak fish the Hudson with you this spring.

This one will be dedicated distance surfcaster, I was going to buy a Lexa but scored a sweet deal on a Tranx 300, I've lost my mind and upgraded everything over the last year. New utback is on the wish list. I definitely want to meet up its been to long. Dam these full time jobs.

Edited by nfnDrum

My original Penn 525 is my longest caster, but for repetitive plugging the Abu’s LW is worth a few less feet of distance. If you don’t score the OB, you can pedal my Revo if we get out.

Check out the Akios Nitron F-15.  It's new and it's really cool.  Great mag too, with super mag travel.  I tried the Fathom II casting special but returned it.  The mag knob was way too far forward and too big.  It rubbed my wrist and was annoying.

Akios Nitron F-15 Pic 2.jpg

Akios Nitron F-15 Pic 3.jpg

Akios Nitron F-15.jpg

21 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

That thing is crazy looking 

It is really unusual looking that is for sure.  I guess, with composite materials used to for the cage they can go crazy.