codfish

Cod regulations for 2020?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

Interesting. i wonder if that opinion is shared by other fisheries biologists? also wonder if the out of whack haddock numbers are contributing to the cod problem...

Ain't too tough to figure out, if the primary competitor of the cod for food and living room are going through the roof population wise, it can't be helpful to the recovering cod population.

I only do the cod thing from my kayak, so I'm always watching for the MA state waters regulations.  The last couple years they aligned the state waters with the federal rules, before that it was 1 fish with a mostly open season.

The 2 weeks in September is good inshore, but April isn't a banner month for the inshore crew.  Sometime in June to November would be my hope for the additional 2 weeks, of course I realize that the fisheries managers don't care about kayakers much.

I have to say that this year's 2 week season was disappointing for me, I had a hard time getting out and there weren't as many good fish inshore as previous years.  I did get a dozen fish a trip, but they were dinks, it was hard to get anything decent.  Release mortality is definitely much lower when you're in 60'.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:23 PM, codfish said:

I was hoping that they would allow 1 cod per person, any one with info on this??

Open April 1 - 15 Sept 1-15 GOM possession 1

So the bluefish regs. just changed after years of over fishing and all I see online is these charter boats with buckets and buckets of haddock.  The stock can't be that plentiful, just waiting on those regs. to be changed...

5 hours ago, Twisted said:

So the bluefish regs. just changed after years of over fishing and all I see online is these charter boats with buckets and buckets of haddock.  The stock can't be that plentiful, just waiting on those regs. to be changed...

Don't hold your breath, the latest stock updates show the biomass is ridiculously abundant and still increasing.

19 hours ago, Twisted said:

Talked to a friend from NOAA who said" The issue with haddock is 4 out of the last 10 years, haddock reproduction was off the carts, there are just to many small haddock making it hard for them to get to adult size"

the old timers said that the cod spawn forms globs near the bottom and large blobs move with the tide with the outer blobs being damaged from rolling along the bottom.

Along comes a dragger and busts up the blobs into smaller blobs and more eggs get damaged on the outside of smaller blobs.

Cod problem #2. The feds get money for catching fish.

How about 10,000 for a license to catch cod  and the quota was used up with one trip.

2 hours ago, oldgoat said:

the old timers said that the cod spawn forms globs near the bottom and large blobs move with the tide with the outer blobs being damaged from rolling along the bottom.

Along comes a dragger and busts up the blobs into smaller blobs and more eggs get damaged on the outside of smaller blobs.

Cod problem #2. The feds get money for catching fish.

How about 10,000 for a license to catch cod  and the quota was used up with one trip.

Never heard that about cod eggs before. Care to elaborate on Problem #2, I don't get what you are saying, how do the feds get money?

These same old time long liners had wet eyes when the gill netters took over.

It was  the discovery of mono that allowed the gill nets to stay put in tidal flow.

cotton was to thick.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:54 PM, MakoMike said:

Don't hold your breath, the latest stock updates show the biomass is ridiculously abundant and still increasing.

So lets pat ourselves on the back, we can catch 15-17 inch haddock. How long do you think they can take the beating that they have been taking because they are essentially the only game in town.

I’m sorry if I sound so negative, it’s just that the three species I like to catch the most have been mismanaged into insignificance. Cod, winter flounder and stripers. Bravo we can catch 2 pound haddock till your arms fall off. 

17 hours ago, oldgoat said:

small Chatham boats have to buy license to catch each type of fish.

Maybe from the state but the federal licenses are free.

12 hours ago, giggyfish said:

So lets pat ourselves on the back, we can catch 15-17 inch haddock. How long do you think they can take the beating that they have been taking because they are essentially the only game in town.

I’m sorry if I sound so negative, it’s just that the three species I like to catch the most have been mismanaged into insignificance. Cod, winter flounder and stripers. Bravo we can catch 2 pound haddock till your arms fall off. 

Pay some attention to what you just  wrote. Yes Cod are managed by the feds, but winter flounder are managed by your state and stripers by the ASMFC, so who are you going to blame other than a generic "government"?

20 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Pay some attention to what you just  wrote. Yes Cod are managed by the feds, but winter flounder are managed by your state and stripers by the ASMFC, so who are you going to blame other than a generic "government"?

I know exactly what I wrote. It must be that they all suck equally at their job and yes thank you for pointing out that inadequacy at this level is only tolerated at the government level.