codfish

Cod regulations for 2020?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have seen seals up to 35 miles off shore. Not sure of the volume but nothing like what we see inshore. In any case, I agree that it is not due to the seals. We found one floating out on jefferies last year and it was bit in half. 

Regarding regulations for this year, 2 weeks is insulting. Just shut it down. My fear is that the 2 weeks is going to be fuel for MORE BAD DATA to be abused by NEMFC to claim the rec crowd has some massive impact on the fishery.

I'm glad everything that NOAA and NEFMC have done up till now has worked or we would have a pretty bad problem on our hands with the # cod the the GOM. As much as I hate commercial fishing, I respected those that put in their time, followed the laws, and were able to make an honest living at it.  I think that my buddy Rafael made out pretty good though on some of those regulation decisions and all of our heritage of the small fleet fisherman is now gone forever. At least Portugal got some good codfish fillets at great prices!

Edited by NHAngler

1 hour ago, NHAngler said:

Regarding regulations for this year, 2 weeks is insulting. Just shut it down. My fear is that the 2 weeks is going to be fuel for MORE BAD DATA to be abused by NEMFC to claim the rec crowd has some massive impact on the fishery.

We had the same regs in 2019 and the data wasn't bad for those two weeks in Sept. And it was very popular with a lot of fishermen. All of the comments we received were only asking for another two week season in the spring, which we also asked for. But as I said earlier, even if it is approved, because of the fiscal year of the fishery the first possible spring season will be in 2021.

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

We had the same regs in 2019 and the data wasn't bad for those two weeks in Sept. And it was very popular with a lot of fishermen. All of the comments we received were only asking for another two week season in the spring, which we also asked for. But as I said earlier, even if it is approved, because of the fiscal year of the fishery the first possible spring season will be in 2021.

Thanks for the clarification and for your support in representing. I guess that any reg changes that don't apply to the current year could still be changed in 2021 voting but probably true of any emergency management voting that could happen at any time. It will just never go the other way (adjustments with recreational opportunities). 

I received a call from NOAA for the ground fish survey, answered the questions, then they followed up in the mail with a much lengthier survey that included a lot of what-if scenarios on fish counts (to keep and release) as well as trip costs. Some of the numbers were quite interesting but lots of 1,3,5,9 fish per trip for haddock and cod and would you spend $x per trip if... One factor that they don't account for with the survey is that some of us actually target other species such as pollock. Another factor is the amount of released fish also tiring. My few trips last year it was non-stop of up and down to 200-250'. Keeper ratio often 1:10 or greater. To me, that slows me down from wanting to go. BTW, some of those out of the non-keeper included quite a few cod that were 24" or greater in size. We boated a few that were 20+ pounds on one trip. 

Edited by NHAngler

50 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Thanks for the clarification and for your support in representing. I guess that any reg changes that don't apply to the current year could still be changed in 2021 voting but probably true of any emergency management voting that could happen at any time. It will just never go the other way (adjustments with recreational opportunities). 

Not true, for 2019 there was a two week season for several years before that there was simply no possession of cod for the entire year, so 2019 was a liberalization.

14 hours ago, MakoMike said:

You know what would be more popular with a lot of fishermen... say a full season July1 through December 31. 
2-3 cod per day 

leaves time to spawn and gives us a small ground fishery again. 

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Not true, for 2019 there was a two week season for several years before that there was simply no possession of cod for the entire year, so 2019 was a liberalization.

What I meant was that we are more likely to lose a benefit during the season than we are to have one introduced / added during the season. And for 2019 it was a fence ride until the last minute on it becoming official if I remember correctly?

52 mins ago, giggyfish said:

You know what would be more popular with a lot of fishermen... say a full season July1 through December 31. 
2-3 cod per day 

That would be great but I highly suspect that the problem is so big that this would open pandoras box regarding the data. I would rather see a season limit with something like that. I don't need that many fish and would love to have "just enough" for my and my wife. I don't fish on party boats and most of those I fish with are in fairly small boats. Mine is the smallest and may only do 1-2 trips per year. Weather permitting for all. Hence, I would rather see a season limit and allow me to maybe 10-15 good fish for the year. 

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

2-3 cod per day 

Can't do it within our allotted quota. Best we can hope for right now is two, two week seasons.

42 mins ago, NHAngler said:

What I meant was that we are more likely to lose a benefit during the season than we are to have one introduced / added during the season. And for 2019 it was a fence ride until the last minute on it becoming official if I remember correctly?

Fence ride? The RAP approved it and sent it to the ground fish committee, the ground fish committee approved it and sent it to the entire council, the council approved it and sent it to GARFO. GARFO approved the fall season, but didn't approved the spring season due to some concerns about cod spawning duding the second half of April. 

You have your requested 15 fish per season, you just have to catch them one a day. :)

8 hours ago, MakoMike said:

6 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Can't do it within our allotted quota. Best we can hope for right now is two, two week seasons.

Our quota allowance sucks. The fishery collapsed due to crap regulations of the past and their lack of accountability and enforcement. For once I’d love to see management think of the resource as property of the people and not a few commercial interests. 
I’m so frustrated with the current state of almost all of our fisheries. 
How long do they think the haddock is gonna sustain the pounding it’s taken the last few seasons. Someone tell them that we are out of species to move to North of the Cape. 

16 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Our quota allowance sucks. The fishery collapsed due to crap regulations of the past and their lack of accountability and enforcement. For once I’d love to see management think of the resource as property of the people and not a few commercial interests. 
I’m so frustrated with the current state of almost all of our fisheries. 
How long do they think the haddock is gonna sustain the pounding it’s taken the last few seasons. Someone tell them that we are out of species to move to North of the Cape. 

FWIW, the council just revised the recreational share of both the GOM cod and haddock quotas upward. The fact of the matter is that everyone, has to do a better job of avoiding cod and give the fish a break. OTOH the haddock biomass is booming, no problems there, if it wasn't for the recreational cod by catch in the haddock fishery we could have much more liberal haddock regs. In fact I proposed we should do exactly that, and raise the haddock bag limits and forego any spring cod season. Very few the advisors liked that trade-off. 

Talked to a friend from NOAA who said "the issue with haddock is there is so many of them they are having trouble getting to adult size"

Edited by codfish

Interesting. i wonder if that opinion is shared by other fisheries biologists? also wonder if the out of whack haddock numbers are contributing to the cod problem...

On 1/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, giggyfish said:

2-3 cod per day 

I took a party boat ride once a year in November about three years running in the 90s, but when I realized it was a massacre of egg bearers, I stopped participating. I don't know when they start staging, but that time period should be avoided.