Cod regulations for 2020?

Rate this topic

codfish

8 mins ago, codfish said:

I was hoping that they would allow 1 cod per person, any one with info on this??

The Recreational advisory panel just met on this yesterday. We recommended and additional two week season starting April 1st and going through April 15th. But even if it's approved, since the fishing year doesn't start until May 1st, there won't be a spring season until 2021. Looks like for the calendar year 2020, we will most likely have the same regs as we had in 2019, i.e. a two week season after labor day, with a bag limit of one fish.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

Sounds reasonable. The further offshore they go, the more vulnerable they'd be. 

We just need some local, seal-eating orcas. That fast-acting mammal metabolism would have them eating far more seals per pound of orca than sharks will ever do. Apparently the Farallon Island GWs only take half a dozen sea lions a season, even when they're big adults, before they head off for an otherwise undistinguished bit of deep bottom where they hang out in their off season. 

11 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I can't give you a scientifically supported range, but it's not far. I would guess that they are rarely a mile offshore.

I always hoped your guess was correct, but I've seen them as much as 14 miles offshore while tuna fishing multiple times.  "Quick, stop chumming!!"  Very common to see them if I'm 3-4 miles offshore.  No doubt the frequency of sightings drop as you head out.

Edited by Roccus7

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

22 hours ago, BrianBM said:

How far offshore do seals go, anyway?

I've worked on a few commercial boats and they have been observed following vessels out to as far as the canyons. I have personally observed them 30 miles east of Chatham eating dragger discards and picking fish from long lines and gillnets being hauled.

On 1/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, MakoMike said:

The Recreational advisory panel just met on this yesterday. We recommended and additional two week season starting April 1st and going through April 15th. But even if it's approved, since the fishing year doesn't start until May 1st, there won't be a spring season until 2021. Looks like for the calendar year 2020, we will most likely have the same regs as we had in 2019, i.e. a two week season after labor day, with a bag limit of one fish.

Thanks Mako Mike:):)