Gomexus Power Knob Install

Rate this topic

animalbarrie

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, Flukeduke said:

How do you like that conflict?  What rod and what are you usually targeting with it? 

Conflict is a very solid reel.   I’ve had it since new and never had a problem with it.   I use it on an 8’ Saltiga Surf rod and use it primarily for bluefish and Spanish from the surf with lures.   

23 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I used loctite and the screw still loosens, i did it twice.

I might be missing the small washer. You think this will make the screw loosen up?

Yeah you would want that washer in there.  That is odd though.   I’ve fished mine in saltwater and freshwater and have had zero knob issues with either of the reels.   

34 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Yeah you would want that washer in there.  That is odd though.   I’ve fished mine in saltwater and freshwater and have had zero knob issues with either of the reels.   

I brought a screwdriver with me last trip and needed it,

I probably will loose the screw if im not careful. 

I cannot put the factory knob back on because I drilled out the rivet.....oh well

troll #122  <*)))<

21 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I brought a screwdriver with me last trip and needed it,

I probably will loose the screw if im not careful. 

I cannot put the factory knob back on because I drilled out the rivet.....oh well

Reach out to the company and get yourself the necessary washer.   Sounds like you just need that and you will be all

set.   

You can always try and find an OEM handle/knob and set it back to stock if you are nervous about the handle coming off while you have a fish on.  

Edited by animalbarrie

56 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Reach out to the company and get yourself the necessary washer.   Sounds like you just need that and you will be all

set.   

You can always try and find an OEM handle/knob and set it back to stock if you are nervous about the handle coming off while you have a fish on.  

Sounds like a plan

troll #122  <*)))<

• 2 weeks later...

put mine (4000 size) to use with some heavy load hauling crabs; it was great the first couple of pulls.  but wouldn't you know it, it loosened right up.  even with blue locktite.  i actually would have needed 2 screwdrivers to tighten it up, 1 to hold the inside of the shaft while tighteneing it up with the other.

Luckily, in my lamest oversight, i actually had an extra reel in my backpack, so i just swapped reels for the rest of my morning.

i've resecured it with it "water-resistant"

gorilla 2-part epoxy.  let's see how it holds up.  the general wisdom here for crabsnaring is to use a 5000-size and up reel due to the extra load these crabs exert on the reel, when they "parachute" out or clamp onto a rock or kelp, there is a lot of load on your gear.  even more if you have 2 or 3 crabs on at once.  

7 hours ago, jon_elc said:

put mine (4000 size) to use with some heavy load hauling crabs; it was great the first couple of pulls.  but wouldn't you know it, it loosened right up.  even with blue locktite.  i actually would have needed 2 screwdrivers to tighten it up, 1 to hold the inside of the shaft while tighteneing it up with the other.

Luckily, in my lamest oversight, i actually had an extra reel in my backpack, so i just swapped reels for the rest of my morning.

i've resecured it with it "water-resistant"

gorilla 2-part epoxy.  let's see how it holds up.  the general wisdom here for crabsnaring is to use a 5000-size and up reel due to the extra load these crabs exert on the reel, when they "parachute" out or clamp onto a rock or kelp, there is a lot of load on your gear.  even more if you have 2 or 3 crabs on at once.  

Sorry to hear that.  I would just bail on it and get a stock handle.   Mine is working like a champ.   Landed this pig last night with the power knob...

7F0A1D12-046B-4296-9C42-723FBE72EAA7.jpeg

10 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Sorry to hear that.  I would just bail on it and get a stock handle.   Mine is working like a champ.   Landed this pig last night with the power knob...

7F0A1D12-046B-4296-9C42-723FBE72EAA7.jpeg

nice fish!  nah, the stock 4000 handle is too small for extended cranking, that's why i switched it out...  i used it in 200ft depths and got a popped blister that almost killed my trip.  had to switch it over to right side cranking and spread the pain to my right hand.  

if the gomexus comes off again, i'll switch to another brand knob that i have on my other saltwater reels.  comes with a bigger diameter stainless screw that would work great.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:31 PM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Here we go, maybe third times a charm.

The washer seems too small. I added a small lockwasher.

It doesn't spin as long but if it stays on i will be happy.

20200610_182244.jpg

20200610_181907.jpg

I almost bought two of them for my shimano and an abu,then didn't.knew how it is with a metal knob when fishing in the colder times of year.

decided to stay with wood or the rubber.

I like them though.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,