animalbarrie

Gomexus Power Knob Install

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, daytripper said:

BG3000 and Conflict 4000.   

Thanks,same 2 reels I want to put handles on,you think 38MM is way to go? DT

The 41mm is a good size for the Conflict 4000.  The BG3000 is a slightly smaller reel and a 38mm would be the sweet spot. 

The stock handle removal was easier on the Conflict.  I sawed off the little end cap on the EVA foam handle and then unscrewed it.  I had to drill out the rivet on the BG.  If you have a bench vise that will make the process easier. 

You will have to enlarge the hole on both handles to accept the new Gomexus shaft.  Slowly work your way up with drill bits and spray WD40 on the bit before your drill.  The largest bit I used was a 13/64" bit and it was the perfect size. 

Also, use Loctite on the provided screws.

Edited by animalbarrie

Looks good, up here in the CT/RI area I don't mind seeing the rain on the warmer days as it will help warm the river temps up a bit and get the holdovers biting (should LOL), I will probably get out Sunday morning regardless of water clarity or temp though. Looks like a decent warm up for day and night temps next week though overall. 

On 1/22/2020 at 7:46 AM, animalbarrie said:

Looks like we are getting a lot of rain Saturday and I am sure that will mess up the water for Sunday.   It’s 16 degrees as I type this, all my spots are frozen solid.   

Ended up with 2 blue catfish, 24 and 26" on Sunday. Water was very murky so I was happy to catch some fish. 

1 hour ago, yakscientist said:

Ended up with 2 blue catfish, 24 and 26" on Sunday. Water was very murky so I was happy to catch some fish. 

Nice - it DUMPED rain early saturday.  You need to teach me how you are catching right now.  I am not a catfish pro.  I've got the gear to do it though.

16 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Nice - it DUMPED rain early saturday.  You need to teach me how you are catching right now.  I am not a catfish pro.  I've got the gear to do it though.

I'll send you a PM, though I'm far from an expert. 

i just got 2 41mm gomexus power knobs for 2 of my Penn Fierce 2 4000LL.   

the 1st one, I followed the video by Gomexus on youtube... and i started with too big of a bit... which leaves you to find and use a bigger washer on the screw side becuase the hole i drilled was too close in size to the diameter of the head of the screw...  

but this is what i did for the 2nd one, used a 1/8" for the screw side and stepped up in size to 7/32" for the shaft side...  came out better.

6E7F237B-322E-4914-BE19-E29A564051BC.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:45 PM, daytripper said:

BG3000 and Conflict 4000.   

Thanks,same 2 reels I want to put handles on,you think 38MM is way to go? DT

The 41mm is a good size for the Conflict 4000.  The BG3000 is a slightly smaller reel and a 38mm would be the sweet spot. 

The stock handle removal was easier on the Conflict.  I sawed off the little end cap on the EVA foam handle and then unscrewed it.  I had to drill out the rivet on the BG.  If you have a bench vise that will make the process easier. 

You will have to enlarge the hole on both handles to accept the new Gomexus shaft.  Slowly work your way up with drill bits and spray WD40 on the bit before your drill.  The largest bit I used was a 13/64" bit and it was the perfect size. 

Also, use Loctite on the provided screws.

Edited January 23 by animalbarrie                                  Thanks for the heads up,
Edited by daytripper

Winter blues here as well.   Put the 38mm on a Conflict and Conflict II ( both 4000 ).  They “feel” right.   Will be putting them to the test in a couple weeks down in the Keys.  
( can’t come soon enough ). 

CA5A599D-5C91-42C9-AE78-1F459CC56353.jpeg