slfriedm

Tampa Wading/Kayak rental fishing DIY

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

5 mins ago, Hook I said:

Did not know about the Black Tips & its very popular style of fishing for the tug , I do more fly ,spin the flats & passes , but I do have some places where I can get to the mangroves.   

We should try to fish together sometime.  I had back surgery end of December so I can't kayak for a while.  I have fly gear but I haven't done much since moving here about five years ago.

slfriedm  When you get more exact plans or need more on what we have written, let us know.  Not too much worry about spot burning in Florida since there are so many places and opportunities here.  There might be a secret hole or two we don't share but not many!   :) 

1 hour ago, kayak99 said:

We should try to fish together sometime.  I had back surgery end of December so I can't kayak for a while.  I have fly gear but I haven't done much since moving here about five years ago.

slfriedm  When you get more exact plans or need more on what we have written, let us know.  Not too much worry about spot burning in Florida since there are so many places and opportunities here.  There might be a secret hole or two we don't share but not many!   :) 

good luck with your recovery & PT , let us know how your doing with some reports when you can , good luck again Chuck 

13 hours ago, kayak99 said:

There is a kayak put in where 275 hits Ulmerton leading out into the bay, or you can put a boat in at a primitive boat ramp where 4th st meets 275, both before the HFB on the Pinellas side.  I don't put a kayak in on WI due to the parking being so far from the ramp so if I kayak to that area I would come from the Gandy mangroves/beach area. 

There are a lot of snook in the mangroves by the WI power plant.  Guides seem to take their clients to that area.

Just fyi if you fish the bay north side of the HFB, manatees are plentiful when its warmer but so are black tip sharks.  I've been told just off the (St Pete/Clearwater) airport runway there is a shark nursing area.  That's why the manatees scare me.  I've had them follow me like I was their mothership as well as having them come up next to me. 

The sharks don't scare me but I'd rather not be thrown in by a manatee with them there.  And they are definitely there.  Just before Christmas I was at the Gandy mangroves and saw a guy using bait catch a small black tip.

Tha ks for shark tip. I want to catch them on topwater or fly. I live on the other coast but will be doing more work around Tampa area. Good luck with your back recovery.

1 hour ago, reelfire said:

Tha ks for shark tip. I want to catch them on topwater or fly. I live on the other coast but will be doing more work around Tampa area. Good luck with your back recovery.

You're wanting to catch sharks with topwater & flies?  I've never targeted those, I just don't want to end up shark bait.  lol  Thanks for the thoughts.  I'll find out next week if the surgery worked or whether I have to have more.  Its really cutting into fishing time.  :( 

18 mins ago, kayak99 said:

You're wanting to catch sharks with topwater & flies?  I've never targeted those, I just don't want to end up shark bait.  lol  Thanks for the thoughts.  I'll find out next week if the surgery worked or whether I have to have more.  Its really cutting into fishing time.  :( 

I missed 4 months once with a knee injury. I feel for you.

More topwater for shark then a fly.

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I am going to try some wade fishing on the eastern shore of old Tampa Bay where I identified some public access and my research says the flats are hard bottom. There is also a kayak rental place right near there, so may try that too.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, slfriedm said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I am going to try some wade fishing on the eastern shore of old Tampa Bay where I identified some public access and my research says the flats are hard bottom. There is also a kayak rental place right near there, so may try that too.

On the eastern shore of Tampa Bay (that area is actually called Westshore) you could try Cypress Point park or a little bit south try Picnic Island.  If you try Cypress Point, when you get to the sand go left towards the bridge.

Cypress Point is top on my list.  I don’t do much Florida/Gulf Coast fishing but the area looks like what I am comfortable with - flats and cuts with some structure I can either toss paddle tails or DOA shrimp around or maybe get some shrimp if I feel like it.  

23 mins ago, slfriedm said:

Cypress Point is top on my list.  I don’t do much Florida/Gulf Coast fishing but the area looks like what I am comfortable with - flats and cuts with some structure I can either toss paddle tails or DOA shrimp around or maybe get some shrimp if I feel like it.  

Live (or frozen) shrimp work well. Not sure who has live shrimp near Cypress.   Paddle tails and DOA shrimp might be good.   You could also try Heddon spooks (in bone color) as well as Mirrodines and Yo-Zuri hard lures. There is a Dicks in the Westshore mall just down the street.

Rocky Point really doesn't offer much from shore as its all built up but you can fish off the causeway between there and Clearwater.  You can wade easily at Cypress Point.  If you want to rent a kayak and fish from it you can cross the bridge and rent at Weedon Island.

Yes, not so much Rocky Point but south of the causeway between Rocky Point and the grand Hyatt there seems to be a good looking area (Google Earth) and I am told the area has a hard bottom for wading.  

there seems to be a kayak rental place just north of Cypress Park?  

Rent the kayak, drifting with some shrimp means you'll catch fish. Try the lures when you hit the fish. A shrimp tipped jig will catch them if they are there.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:29 AM, slfriedm said:

Not looking for any spot burns but I’ll be in Tampa next month and will have time to fish.  I’ve identified a few spots online to wade or fish from the shore and am looking for any tips. I am also considering a kayak rental but am not sure how much a kayak is needed.  I’m not picky on species, whatever is swimming in the shallows.  

Some people get bent out of shape when you mention red tide down there but they have battled it in and around Tampa when I first was there in 07 at a Tournament and over the years since.   I have family in the area of Oldsmar and have fished it 4 times since in the Tampa area and have always seen a ton of pressure up in places in the old bay and even out front to Miguel Bay. I have better luck fishing south in the 10k island areas.  Less pressure better opportunities. 

I heard the water temps did not drop far enough to get Reds in the typical winter areas in the gulf.  They could be eating out front liked its spring-fall. Let us know how you make out. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 6:57 PM, kayak99 said:

Rocky Point really doesn't offer much from shore as its all built up but you can fish off the causeway between there and Clearwater.  You can wade easily at Cypress Point.  If you want to rent a kayak and fish from it you can cross the bridge and rent at Weedon Island.

Weedon Island to Cypress Point Park?  Wouldn't that be a marathon paddle?