slfriedm

Tampa Wading/Kayak rental fishing DIY

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Not looking for any spot burns but I’ll be in Tampa next month and will have time to fish.  I’ve identified a few spots online to wade or fish from the shore and am looking for any tips. I am also considering a kayak rental but am not sure how much a kayak is needed.  I’m not picky on species, whatever is swimming in the shallows.  

I would definitely go with a kayak because you are unable to wade at some decent spots and/or they get too deep to wade when the tide comes in. That is a really good area...

Definitely invest in a kayak. I only had a limited time there but the most life was found in warm water areas with food nearby and of course structure. Deeper channels and pilings near deep water had the most life I saw. If you look around hard enough you'll find some life. Current is better than still water. 

your post is a lot limited by describing how you intend to catch , Do you fly , spin arties , meat ?  If your looking for help its best to give as much info for a decent response Tampa is pretty big & there are plenty of docks to fish from . Best you repost I can help you out , Don't worry about spots  Its not NJ or Ct , its Fla. , weather might be your biggest challenge 

I intend to use spinning gear with artificials mostly, maybe buy shrimp or cut bait if getting some is convenient.  I prefer to be on the active side, casting or sight fishing, not so much soaking bait on the bottom

What you described still is not enough , is best you look at the days your there & study the tides for that week , as winter has big negative tides , which makes walking the flats on the outgoing or low best choice for sight fishing . then look at the more winds as water does and does not move in TB according to the wind direction . The best place to be sure that you can change up with all those variables is Ft Desoto w/  plastics , top water while you wade and search . Then if weather & tides are not in your favor best go Gulf Intracoastal Waterway , Doc's Goofy Jigs catch everything in deeper channels , around pilings , moving water , If your time is limited just go to the Skyway Pier is about 4 miles of fishing there is nothing like in in the world ! , if your setup are not in favorable I would rent & return .     

Hook wrote of Ft DeSoto.  If you do go there and plan to wade, consider taking the ferry from DeSoto to Egmont Key State Park.  Or, you could rent a kayak while at Ft DeSoto and fish the mangroves.   I'll also second the Skyway Bridge piers.  

14 hours ago, kayak99 said:

Hook wrote of Ft DeSoto.  If you do go there and plan to wade, consider taking the ferry from DeSoto to Egmont Key State Park.  Or, you could rent a kayak while at Ft DeSoto and fish the mangroves.   I'll also second the Skyway Bridge piers.  

Do you come down to Tampa Bay & fish , or stay up in Clearwater / St Joseph Sound ?    

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Do you come down to Tampa Bay & fish , or stay up in Clearwater / St Joseph Sound ?    

Hook I,  if you’re asking me, I live in Feather Sound.  If I want to fish close to home I put in by the I-275 Howard Frankland bridge or by Gandy beach before that bridge.  

31 mins ago, kayak99 said:

Hook I,  if you’re asking me, I live in Feather Sound.  If I want to fish close to home I put in by the I-275 Howard Frankland bridge or by Gandy beach before that bridge.  

Thought you were more west , your better right where you are .

I fished Edgemont by boat never went by ferry , 

2 hours ago, Hook I said:

Thought you were more west , your better right where you are .

I fished Edgemont by boat never went by ferry , 

Feather Sound has no post office so Clearwater services us.  We are closer to St Pete and Largo.  I didn't think he would have access to a boat and Egmont would be a long kayak paddle so the ferry would be his best bet if he wants to fish there.  

2 mins ago, kayak99 said:

Feather Sound has no post office so Clearwater services us.  We are closer to St Pete and Largo.  I didn't think he would have access to a boat and Egmont would be a long kayak paddle so the ferry would be his best bet if he wants to fish there.  

That's a good call for him , I fished below the Gandy in the W.I. preserve but not the HFB maybe one day I'll try it ,I read a story a few decades ago a some pretty big fish was taken there  I'll put that one in the bank also , Thanks 

Just now, Hook I said:

That's a good call for him , I fished below the Gandy in the W.I. preserve but not the HFB maybe one day I'll try it ,I read a story a few decades ago a some pretty big fish was taken there  I'll put that one in the bank also , Thanks 

There is a kayak put in where 275 hits Ulmerton leading out into the bay, or you can put a boat in at a primitive boat ramp where 4th st meets 275, both before the HFB on the Pinellas side.  I don't put a kayak in on WI due to the parking being so far from the ramp so if I kayak to that area I would come from the Gandy mangroves/beach area. 

There are a lot of snook in the mangroves by the WI power plant.  Guides seem to take their clients to that area.

Just fyi if you fish the bay north side of the HFB, manatees are plentiful when its warmer but so are black tip sharks.  I've been told just off the (St Pete/Clearwater) airport runway there is a shark nursing area.  That's why the manatees scare me.  I've had them follow me like I was their mothership as well as having them come up next to me. 

The sharks don't scare me but I'd rather not be thrown in by a manatee with them there.  And they are definitely there.  Just before Christmas I was at the Gandy mangroves and saw a guy using bait catch a small black tip.

9 mins ago, kayak99 said:

There is a kayak put in where 275 hits Ulmerton leading out into the bay, or you can put a boat in at a primitive boat ramp where 4th st meets 275, both before the HFB on the Pinellas side.  I don't put a kayak in on WI due to the parking being so far from the ramp so if I kayak to that area I would come from the Gandy mangroves/beach area. 

There are a lot of snook in the mangroves by the WI power plant.  Guides seem to take their clients to that area.

Just fyi if you fish the bay north side of the HFB, manatees are plentiful when its warmer but so are black tip sharks.  I've been told just off the (St Pete/Clearwater) airport runway there is a shark nursing area.  That's why the manatees scare me.  I've had them follow me like I was their mothership as well as having them come up next to me. 

The sharks don't scare me but I'd rather not be thrown in by a manatee with them there.  And they are definitely there.  Just before Christmas I was at the Gandy mangroves and saw a guy using bait catch a small black tip.

Did not know about the Black Tips & its very popular style of fishing for the tug , I do more fly ,spin the flats & passes , but I do have some places where I can get to the mangroves.