mav

Stumped Penn 200 Surfmaster

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Ok, I’ve been at this for three days straight. All the mechanisms work. The reel just has a loud gear noise. 

Things I've done:

The first thing I did was change out the gears.

Next I changed out the fiber washer and all the drag washers.

I then changed out the yoke. 

Then, the bridge/gear sleeve.

So now I’m stumped. I know that all the above parts work fine in another Surfmaster reel with no major gear noise.

The side plate looks brand new but I’m starting to think the side plate has minor alignment issues.

Any Ideas? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have found that if the pinion gear fits loosely on the yoke it causes the conditions you are experiencing although with Squidders (I never owned a Surfmaster) When the pinion almost "snaps on" to the yoke and does not wobble on the yoke (with your fingers) problem is non existent. I found the yokes wear fast where the pinion sits allowing movement described above

Edited by SC

Thanks for the response.

Yea, the smaller Surfmasters share the same internal parts as the Squidders except for the antireverse mechanism and the bearing+shield.

I’m willing to try that. I found a new unused yoke that I still need to order.

Since it’s a spare reel, I want to put it into use. That gear noise is just too annoying.

Update:

After messing around with the reel today, I fixed the problem but can’t explain what was going on with the reel. It came down to bridge screw tightening order. I backed out the bridge screws just a little and proceeded to tightening all the screws except the one holding the anti-reverse dog. I found that the gear noise was gone. Then I tightened the last screw and still no noise. Usually the screw holding the dog is what I tighten first but I guess that’s where the problem lay.

So the reel works really well now. Thanks and thanks SC.

Squidders, Surfmasters, 155's..... Can easily be "torqued"

Check the foot. Put it on a very flat surface and tap the corners, good chance it'll move

That's the primary reason Newell aftermarket parts became so popular, they solve that torquing problem

Thanks for the replies.

Yea THOSE problems. I was given a couple of ABU Garcia Eons. (I think that’s the name.) I couldn’t get them working correctly. One day the spool would be tight. Next day, loose. When I worked on them, either the screws would be too tight or too loose. The things drove me crazy. So, I switched out the bearings and put them in my Ambassadeurs that needed them. Then I gave the Eons away free to whom ever would take and thought they could fix them.

I’ll check that out. I own quite a few older Penn reels. I’ve seen reel feet that would wobble on a flat surface. I sometimes find it humoring when I see it. In fact, I just fixed a 140 Squidder with a “torqued” crank side ring a couple of days ago. The reel is “Newelled out” but the bad ring was making the side plate sit cockeyed. Lol Just like my 2nd Jigmaster but in that case, it was the side plate. A kid with little money fishing a cockeyed Jigmaster. Lol It cracks me up because I’ve caught plenty of large rays with that crooked reel with no problems. I still have that reel as a sentimental piece but I was able to find and replace the “cherry” side plates. So it’s straight as an arrow now.

Been there with playing with the bridge screws to get a surfy to engage properly, check the torque on all the side plate screws and that the headplate take apart feature is clean and seating squarely, a little junk in there goes a long way to screw things up.

Thanks for the reply. The gearing feels  way better now but not perfect. The reel is parked for now since I  haven’t been able to do a lot of fishing lately. I’ve found that leaving the reel half way in gear (where the spool hasn’t fully seated into the pinion gear) during storage has helped with the smoothness also.